Author Topic: Letting out rooms to film stars  (Read 2123 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Letting out rooms to film stars
« on: Friday 27 July 07 14:27 BST (UK) »
HI

It sounds improbable now. My great aunt made a virtue of living near Shepperton Studios.

She would let a out a room to film stars working at the studios.

Not sure these were big names.

The only one my mother can remember now is Two-Ton Tessie O'Shea!

There were some others, but I never wrote these down when she coud remember - maybe my aunt can
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Letting out rooms to film stars
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 July 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Just spotted this post! One of my cousin's tells me that she was told that Tessie O'Shea boarded at some point with our Great Grandparents. I just couldn't see why she would stay in some random person's house in Bellahouston in Glasgow? The only connection I can see is that they were Irish and her family was Irish although I think she was born in Wales. My Great Grandparents passed in the 40s/50s so this would have been before then. Now having read your post, I'm wondering if she was performing in one of the theatres in Glasgow?

Caroline
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 July 17 07:37 BST (UK) »
I have heard theatrical types on TV talking about the places they stayed in. It must have been the normal thing
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 17 07:40 BST (UK) »
I would quibble over the use of the term "film stars"? ;D
In those days they were simply actors and actresses. Not highly paid, and looking for cheap accommodation.
The "Celebrity culture" wasn't happening then.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)