Author Topic: First Name Abreviations  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
Re: First Name Abreviations
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 December 04 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I missed this query when it first appeared, but I can't resist jumping into the debate. I see the "R" word as
Rev. I don't think the next letter is a small "d": I think it is an initial, but I am not sure what it is.
As for the other words; M.A. and D.Phil are university degrees.(Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy).
I think the poor census enumerator was confused by a man who used too many long words, tried to write down what he heard and got a little mixed up. The Rev told him that he was in charge of "the cure of souls" for the two chuches and somehow "cure" was confused with the word "curate" or "curacy"and "soul" became "sole" The phrase "having the cure of souls" was commonly used in the C of E. I believe that it meant that the man in question was a
beneficed clergyman (i.e. a vicar in charge of his own flock). The Rev. Saywell was a man with a better than average education; it is doubtful that he was a mere curate. It should be possible to find out a great deal more about him. There would be university records and if he was still around in 1858 or later, he would be in Crockford's Clerical Directory.

hth,
Carmela
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: First Name Abreviations
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 December 04 11:17 GMT (UK) »

SAYWELL, LEMUEL
born c1829 Dorchester Oxford
died 09 Oct 1888 at Kirkby Underwood co Lincoln;
Found at   www.kinderlibrary.ac.nz/resources/bishop/s.htm

Back on 14 Dec, KathyM certainly did a fantastic job finding Revd L Saywell  for clr1979 - and what a wealth of information she posted about his life and career!

Just to add a couple of very minor snippets ...

The IGI has the following SAYWELLs of this family:
*Lemuel Craven, chris 26 Jul 1863 at Sutton, Cambridge, England; parents Lemuel SAYWELL and Adery Emma BOYES
*Ethel Mary, b 22 Dec 1868, chris 9 Feb 1869 at South Witham, Lincoln, England; parents Lemuel Saywell and Adery Emma Boyes
*Theodora Madeline, b 30 Aug 1871, chris 11 Sep 1871 at Ingoldmells, Lincoln, England: parents Lemuel Saywell and Adery Emma (no surname given)

FreeBMD has the birth Sept qtr 1872, death Dec qtr 1872, both in Lincoln of an Adery Emma SAYWELL.

There is a passenger list and report of the 1864 voyage of the 'Eagle Speed' at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tweetybirdgenealogy/Eaglespeed1864.html

Judy