Author Topic: Info: Lost marriage  (Read 3468 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Info: Lost marriage
« on: Wednesday 15 December 04 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Recently I was reading an old issue of family tree magazine & read the following, thought it worth noting here incase it is someone's brick wall! :D

Late last year a researcher at the Cambridge County Record Office, was working through some overseers' account books for the parish of Balsham in Cambridgeshire when she found a small folded slip of paper. As with all curious family historians she unfolded the paper slip to find a certificate for a marriage between ALEXANDER HAMMOND of Horseheath and MARY TAYLOR of Balsham conducted at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1749.

The marriage does not appear in the marriage register in either parish and if a register was kept at the College it is no longer to be found.

Does this marriage belong on your family tree? Thanks to Gill Shapland of Cambridgeshire's Heritage Services for this information.

You will find this information within Family tree magazine (UK) March 2004, Vol 20 No 5, issue page 75 .

I hope it helps someone.

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
Re: Info: Lost marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 December 04 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that nugget, Welsh Jen!  I'm interested in the HAMMONDs of Horseheath, Shudy Camps, Hildersham and environs.  I have 3 Alexander HAMMONDs in my tree - only one could be a match: son of Henry & Jane, baptised 20 Feb 1704/05 in Linton.  I note from Marlene Williamson's excellent website (www.rd29.net/cc) that there are two potential Balsham baptisms for Mary TAYLOUR/TAILER - 20 Dec 1702 (of James/Mary) and 10 Jan 1713 (of Overin/Elizabeth). 

If anyone can provide a more definitive identification I'd be very interested to hear of it.

Best wishes and happy new year!

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Info: Lost marriage
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 December 04 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Ohhh, that's great! I was hoping this snippet of information would be of benefit to someone. I hope the details can fit in with your details that would be something!  ;)

All the very best in your quest!