Author Topic: Henry CANDY from Frome to Westbury on Trym  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry CANDY from Frome to Westbury on Trym
« on: Friday 31 August 07 12:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone on this list have access to transcripts or indexes for Westbury on Trym, now in Gloucestershire?

In 1770, Henry CANDY, a broadcloth weaver from Frome, married Mary WINDSOR in that parish, but I have never been able to find what became of them, or whether they had any children.

I suspect, however, that they had a son named Robert CANDY about 1774 (who later moved back to Frome), and possibly also one named Henry CANDY. It is also possible that  Mary had a son named Joseph before they married, as he is referred to in a Wiltshire settlement examination as Joseph CANDY alias WINDSOR.

About six months ago, I posted a request for help on the Gloucester Board (see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,222291.0.html) but I didn't get any replies, and have hit a brick wall on this family.  Can anyone help?

Kind regards

Philip Candy

Offline jcandycane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry CANDY from Frome to Westbury on Trym
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi! I've never done one of these forums before lol...Up until about 10 years ago, I was the "family tree person" in my family-alls we know about the Candy side is "2 brothers from England" came to the US.. that is it...Im trying to get back into my geneology stuff & came across this site/your posts. This one caught my eye because my fathers name is Robert, his father was William Joseph, & there was a John& a Henry! Im not at home right now so will have to check my box of files lol but I think they came to Virginia or Maryland in the 1800's???? If we can connect the families Ill give you any other more recent info I have!
Thanks!  ~Jessica Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica
Thank you for your post on rootschat.
My husband, Phil was delighted to hear from you and would love to help you.
As he has had a stroke, it will take us some time to see what he can find in his extensive family records, as he cannot speak and is unable to type his own emails at this stage.
Prior to the stroke Phil was a senior University academic and he was most interested to see that you are at Maryland University at Buffalo. :-)
Please bear with us as he searches his records......
Best wishes from us both
Mary-Anne and Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 15 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica

Phil has asked me to reply to you regarding the following information which he has found in his family history records. He thinks these records maybe of interest to you, as he cannot link these people into his own family tree.

Parents:
John Candy (born 17 Dec 1694) who married twice, first to Mary Tucker, 4 May 1716, and second to Mary Dix on 12 Feb 1728.

His children from the second marriage are as follows:
Mary Candy born 31 Jan 1729
Betty Candy born 16 June 1731
Sarah Candy born 19 Dec 1733
John Candy born 28 Nov 1734
James Candy born 31 Oct 1736
Joseph Candy born 24 Dec 1738
Baby (name unknown) Candy born 1741
All these children were born at Hound Street, Chelwood, Somerset in England.

Phil hopes this maybe of use to you.

Best wishes

Mary-Anne and Phil Candy

Offline jcandycane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 July 15 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi! Thanks for replying and for accepting me on Facebook :) -I still have to get out all of my info, but thank you so much! Ironically, my brothers name is Tucker too... lol , but everyone in my family swears that they thought up the names, that they weren't passed down! Crazy! And so sorry to hear about Phil's stroke, Hopefully his health can improve and he can get back into his research!  Ill have to check this forum more often...if you do like to email better, I can also send you that -I look forward to chatting with you again!
Jessica

Offline jcandycane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 July 15 06:48 BST (UK) »
I have 2 siblings, so we are:
J,  D & T...
parents are: R Candy (born 1957)  & K F. 
Roberts dad, William Joseph (born 1933) worked for Westinghouse & in the Navy. He married Joan Ashburn (6 kids)
Williams dad, Henry (may have had a twin that died young? ) was a Butcher & married Jewel Dickson. (3 kids)
Henrys dad was John Henry Candy,  who drove a horse & Wagon for a lumber company & married Marie Maroni.
Supposedly 2 brothers came over from somewhere in England, settled in St. Louis? But I've also heard Virginia. ..
I cannot trace father back!  But I've recently reacquainted with a great-uncle (Henrys son in law) so trying to see if he knows anything!   :)

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 July 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this information, Jessica.
I shall try to see if I have anything of interest to you.
Best wishes
Phil Candy

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 25 July 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessica

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

It's good to see family links being re-established here.

You may not have had chance to read our guideline for posting yet ( http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php ) but we have a 'no living people' policy here so I would encourage you to remove any names and dates of living people. You can edit your posts within 24hours by using the [modify] button. You can exchange this info with Phil & Mary-Anne on the personal message system.

And hi also to Phil (and Mary-Anne), it's nice to see you back on the boards. Still miss you over on London & Middlesex.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline jcandycane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 15 13:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry! I didn't see that!