Author Topic: Myles Gillbanks- Kirkby Ireleth  (Read 3408 times)

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Myles Gillbanks- Kirkby Ireleth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 August 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
1851 Dec qtr

Jones    Jane        St Pancras    1   389   mmn Gillbank

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 August 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi lancsann, thank you for your information regarding Janes Birth date, I have found the marriage of Mary to Edward Jones M1951 Westminster i 397. so it looks like that little mystery has been solved.
Banks, Gillbanks, Fallows families in the  Furness area of Lancashire
Banks, Gillbanks, Cumberland. Westmoreland, Lancashire.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 August 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
My mother was Eileen Mary Gillbanks she was the daughter of Myles Gillbanks  1895 to 1977 who was my grandad he was married to Margaret Lister 1896 to 1960 (she was being buried as my Mam was giving birth to me). His Dad was James Gillbanks 1852 to 1918 who married Ann Pilkington 1857 to 1939.
James mother was Elizabeth Gillbanks 1827 to 1860 and she did not name the fathers name on my great Grandads birth certificate. she also had Roger 2 years later and then there was a seven year gap before she had Myles Walmsley Gillbanks which makes me think there was a different father involved. Boy must have Annie Pilkington her Mam been mad.
Elizabeths parent were John Gillbanks and Elizabeth Shaw.

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Dianelakes, thank you for your potted history, James' Father was more than likely William Woodend as he named his daughter Jane Woodend, some Trees have Woodend as James' middle name. I did have a public  Tree on Freepages that I built over 15 years, until Ancestry took them over and deleted them in October last  year which gave more detailed information, and drew a conclusion that William was the Father of James, but it is all gone now. John Gillbanks' Father was Isaac Gillbanks 1758-1826, Mother Isabella Newby 1762-1826, then Isaac Gillbanks 1732-1798, then Isaac Banks/Gillbanks 1691-
1750 etc, etc, I suppose you already have all these, but if you haven't I can furnish a bit more. Regards, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Oh boy yes He referred to  himself as I believe as James Woodend and Jane (Janie) his daughter who went to America has Woodend as her middle name.
I have a wooden gift plaque in front of me that Janie Woodend gave to Myles my Grandad in America's to wife Maggie Lister:
FOLKS NiCE TO KNOW
It's the thoughtful folks
The kindly folks
The neighborly folks like you
Who make the world a happier place
By all they say and do
Angels who write in the book of life
Have them listed as God's who's who
The thoughtful folks, the kindly folks
The neighborly folks like you
On the back she has hand written in to the wood in pencil 'To sister Maggie and Myles (which she seems to have put Myles as an afterthought)
Best of luck to you always.
Jim where are you in relation to m

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 August 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane, so it looks like we agree his Father was William Woodend? That is a nice sentiment on the plaque. According to Ancestry you are my Fifth Cousin,I go from John about 1630 Isaac 1691,-Isaac 1732,-Joseph 1781,- Isaac 1813,- James 1852,-George 1876, Matthew 1900, then myself 1936. Your branch goes off with Isaac 1732's Son Isaac 1758-John 1795 etc. I have taken a yDNA test hoping to match with another Gillbanks, but either nobody else has tested, I do have a faint trace with a Ken Gillbanks from Surrey or suchplace, but not enough to give a relationship, probably one of those Frisian raiders from the 5th century.I'll leave you to digest that lot and hope to speak again. Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim
15 years of research went just like that they should have warned people.
Do you still have a tree on Ancestry as my trees are there.
I only put William Woodend as a possible father but couldn't find anything about this man. Do you have any information on him Jim?
I wonder where that leaves Roger's Dad.
Diane

Offline jimgillbanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane, I believe they did warn people to move their trees, but not by email, just a notice on the site, unfortunately I hadn't been on there for a few weeks, so didn't see it. No, I don't really know anything about William Woodend except the basic, Roger Gillbanks' Father was John William Hanson a Swedish seaman who's ship was in a local port. Anyway Elizabeth became pregnant, a regular occurance, and Mr Hanson went like the ship in the night to America, a Cousin of yours Kay Simms from Leigh, her Grandmother Elizabeth 1883-1966 was Roger's daughter, traced him via DNA to a family in the States, I believe they get on famously. Yes I do still have a Tree on Ancestry, but don't know how to let you see it, if you do, let me know. Regards, Jim.
Betteridge, Liverpool,

Offline Dianelakes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 19:22 BST (UK) »
Oh wow I am going to have to amend my tree for Roger then.
I hope I don't make any major boo boos in the process.
I don't know how to access someone else's tree either maybe we could ask ancestry or maybe you know you said I branch off at Isaac at 1732 if you could give me some of your branches details so that I add them to my tree and i get the hint leaves with other ancestry trees becoming available to look at.
Is Lancasann part of our clan too?