Author Topic: Stump of the Castle?  (Read 10883 times)

Offline dmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stump of the Castle?
« on: Monday 10 September 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help please on the marriage certificate of my great grandparents the address given in Rathdrum Wicklow is Stump of the Castle Does anyone know what Stump of the castle is grateful for any ideas DMD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stump of the Castle?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 07 21:54 BST (UK) »
Stump of the Castle seems to be a townland about 2 km from Rathdrum. If you Google 'stump of the castle & rathdrum' lots of entries come up.

P.S. see www.thecore.com/seanruad to search for the names of townlands, parishes, etc. in Ireland
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there thankyou so much for the information i just didn't know where to start thanks again DMD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 07 22:48 BST (UK) »
Can understand why- Stump of the Castle doesn't sound like a real place. Spent a week in Co. Wicklow a number of years ago around Rathdrum and it was lovely but lots of wee winding roads.

Offline dmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 07 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there again been on the site for Rathdrum it does look a quaint little place i a going to Ireland next year researching my family i hope to visit Rathdrum if i get enough spare time thanks for all your help DMD

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 07 23:50 BST (UK) »
Avondale House former home of Charles Stewart Parnell is just outside Rathdrum and there are acres of woodland on the estate- a fantastic place to spend a few hours. If you have children with you there is (at least it was there about 10 years ago) a maze in the area but at the moment I can't remember it's name.

Offline dmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information it sounds lovely .I will be going with a friend but if we have time i would love to visit i will see if we can fit it in our busy schedule .DMD

Offline Gerry.healy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 November 10 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I know its been 3 years since your post, but I live in stump of the castle, If I can be of any help!!

Offline dmd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 November 10 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi many thanks for your offer of help it was kind of you ,I was researching my great grandfather and great grand mother and they lived at Stump of the Castle but i dont know where .On my visit to Ireland a couple of years ago i went to Rathdrum Church where they were married but sadly we didnt have time to go to Stump of the Castle i would love to know is it a town or small village many thanks DMD