Author Topic: Hedley Family Search  (Read 54597 times)

Offline MELDYN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hedley Family Search
« Reply #72 on: Friday 10 April 09 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi been reading with great interest the Hedley linage. My great Grandmother is Gertrude Hedley 1887 she spoke of WilliaM Hedley and he was related to me. I'm having one problem and that is linking Robert Hedley b1827 married to Ann Young and had 5 children George 1852 Jemima 1855 Samuel 1858 (who I think this is my GGrandmas father) Gertrude 1865 & Alburn. Any help would be greatly appreciated
         Mel

Offline MELDYN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 10 April 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
 ::) ps I have my Great Grandmothers Copy of Marriage Cert in front of me she married James Albert Goodwin on 28 May 1910. Gertrude was a dressmaker born Ilkiston? Nottinghanm England 1887. On my Grandmothers Birth Cert it says born Bradford England. Great Grandma emigrated to New Zealand in 1907.  ::)               Been a long day looking and working out stuff. As for the person who said they have relatives in Australia they are correct I was born in New Zealand but have been in Aust for 31 yrs. My Grandmother passed away last June and very sadly missed at the good age of 95. She was Kathleen Crosby b1912

Goodnight

Offline rakshaUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Monday 13 April 09 18:51 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with my Hedleys? (Or to be more correct, my OH's Headleys).  His Grandmother was Isabella Hedley, born 25th March 1913 in Northumberland, to John Hedley and Mary Annie (nee Crawford). And that is about as far as I can go at the moment......

Offline hedley2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 15 November 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to Pat. Billie & Bo for their info on the Newburn HEDLEYS, in particular.

"1)Thomas Hedley born 1722 in Newburn married to Ruth Unlock(1743). Their children were William Hedley- 1748, John Hedley - 1749, Thomas Hedley 1750 and Joseph Hedley -1753."

This may well be the answer to our many years of searching for 'our' Thomas.(even a trip across the pond).
1) is this Thomas in anyone's tree?
2) did this Thomas marry Martha Weatherley in Chollerton 1773?
see our web page at:    http://www.hedley.ca/genealogy/text/j_g_trip/thomas_martha_marry.html
3) Is there records available to verify the information on Thomas?

Thanks to all: Hedley2  in Ontraio, Canada
http://www.hedley.ca/genealogy/text/index.html
Hedley, Northumberland

Chadburn & Smith in Annesley, Nottinghamshire
Lano & Comben Portland Dorset
Snook & Mullet Portland Dorset
Fudge & Cox Portland Dorset

Offline Balcatta

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 11 June 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Twiglets - I think I may be one of your distant relatives from Australia. My ggrandfather was Thomas Hedley, who sailed to Victoria in Australia from Canada - as per Hedley Genealogy Index Page Cht 4 - I think I am a 4th cousin of David Hedley in Canada. Like David I would like to know more information about Thomas Hedley born about 1850 - from Birtley. My husband  and I visited Northumberland last year using the Prelude section of the Hedley Genealogy Index Page as our guiding light. We visited Newburn church and found the grave plot  with 3 headstones - 1. William and Frances Hedley, 2. Three of their sons and  3. Thomas and Mary Hedley of Newburn - I am interested to find out more information about this Thomas of Newburn. Is this our Thomas of Birtley? The death dates don't seem to coincide.   I was intrigued to find the Uncle (Thomas) of William Hedley in the same grave plot. Perhaps someone may have some information about this Thomas of Birtley.
I live in Western Australia.
Thanks.

Offline Bonita369

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 16 January 15 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just found out tonight that my great grandmother was a Hedley, I haven't much information except that she was Mary and her brother was Jimmy. From what I understand her mother was Lady Gordon (some kind of royalty in England?)
Apparently my grans family in England still get royalties (money) from the Government, something about my great grand mothers family inventing or patenting the rubber for Dunlop tyres and about "puffing billy" train.
But my great grand mother Mary and her parents were visiting South Africa via ship, but cut her off inheritance because she met my great grand father here and fell in love and did not want to go back with them. Apparently my great grand mother was to marry into royalty?!?
Can anyone help confirm this story?!?
Thank you :)

Offline annalexander96

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
 I have William Hedley(father of Puffing Billy)born 1746 Throckington.died 1818 Newburn.He was married to Jane Atkinson 1773,Anne Atkinson was Puffing Billy's mother.I think she was a sister of Anne.He then married Elizabeth Fletcher born 1789 died1827.Jane had Joseph 1773 and John born 1778.Elizabeth had George,Thomas,Richard,Mary and Elizabeth.I have a lot of info but too much to put here.cheers ann