Author Topic: Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe and Eastwood family of Mayfield  (Read 32752 times)

Offline zozo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 October 08 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am interested in the eastwoods and have gone back to john eastwood and anne piper in our tree and the Burwash eastwoods. We have a strand that married into a travelling family and have ended up in Kent in later years, although its very confusing as other Eastwoods have trades and seem quite settled in Five Ashes/Mayfield/Burwash. Does anyone have any info that can fill in our gaps?
mills, eastwood, eastwood holmes, sussex. Foreman, eastwood, mills kent

Offline zozo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 October 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
we have a susanna who married an Eastwood and then had a daughter Susanna Eastwood 1772 in Burwash is this any help to anyone?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 October 08 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi zozo and welcome to Rootschat.

I had been informed, can't remember where that John Eastwood who married Ann Piper came from Mayfield, however I looked at the Mayfield parish registers on Monday at Lewes and could find no trace of him.  Next stop Burwash!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline zozo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
we have john eastwood married anne piper 26 Oct 1704 in mayfield, uckfield, sussex? and ten various children and Johns parents? do we share the same family?

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi zozo

Yes I have John and Ann Piper too in my tree.  But I am not sure that John actually came from Mayfield.  I checked the parish register on Monday in Lewes but there was no sign of John or any of the children.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline zozo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:49 BST (UK) »
do you want me to email me what we have? we start off with John Eastwood and Anne Piper(managed to get back a bit on the Piper side) who married in Mayfield? we then have several (5) children born in Mayfield and then some of them settle in Burwash but disappear? we have links with the eastwood family who then married travellers and the eastwood holmes but I'm not sure where(another little mystery). Another Piper (Hannah) marries into the Eastwoods a coupel of generations later? We did spend several days in Lewes and also in Chichester in September. We have found some Eastwoods in Five Ashes as well that are definatley tied in.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 October 08 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi zozo

I'll send you a private message with my email address.

Kerry  :)

Offline Billingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 September 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

First time using this Rootschat site so please bear with me.

My husband's Eastwood roots go back to John Eastwood born 1679 presumably in or around Burwash, East Sussex.  John's wife was Ann Piper born 1676.  His children included William Eastwood born 1714 Mayfield who married Ann Monk in Burwash at St. Bartholomew's Church and they had 16 children many of whom, if not all, were baptised at the same church.  Needless to say there were/are hundreds of East Sussex Eastwoods descended just from William.  I have many of them but cannot go any further back than John Eastwood.  A lot of people have come through as Hot Matches on the Genes Reunited site with the origins being in Yorkshire.  I did not think there could be any connection but looking at postings on your site it could be very possible.  Can you throw any light on the possible Yorkshire origins?

Have not found any Vigars yet though!

Thank you so much for any help you can give.

Best wishes from Helen

::)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 September 10 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen and welcome to Rootschat

I wouldn't believe anything that came up as a hot match without seeing proof, when I was subscribed to GR I used to get some amazing so called hot matches like mothers born a century after their son etc.   ::) ::)

I'm still searching for a baptism for John but as far as I know there are no links with Yorkshire but finding out about John would help.  That reminds me to bring him back to the top of the To do pile!

Kerry