Author Topic: Too easy????  (Read 7969 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Too easy????
« on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:06 BST (UK) »
hi

i seem to be finding my research a little too easy and wondered if this is right!  i get a name of an ancestor - say my grandparent, order their birth cert, hence get parents names, order marriage/birth certs and so on.  i am managing to get back on all routes at the moment by 5 generations.  i would like to find out more than just names and dates, perhaps what life was like, etc to give my ancestors character.  does anyone do this?

sara

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Too easy????
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:10 BST (UK) »
There will be a lot of people going green with envy here, Sara! It's not usually that easy!

But if you can get more info - go for it! Some of us are still trying to find our great grandfather's children!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
I'm one of those green with envy Sara!

Having said that, I seem to be in the desert of no luck for months, then all of a sudden, I get communications with useful information and make major breakthroughs on all lines all at the same time and I run around like a headless chicken not knowing which way to turn. 

Then it all goes quiet again!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:17 BST (UK) »
i don't mean to make people green!  i am sure i will come across problems but i think its because my families have lived in the same places for many generations.  i just wondered if i am doing the right thing.  Also i am just going back by grandparents then their parents and their etc, haven't gone sideays at all.  should i?

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:20 BST (UK) »
Congratulations on doing so well! Glad it is going smoothly, but I am sure you will come across some sticklers in due course!!!
Sounds like you are going about it very sensibly.

As for finding out more about them all - why yes! I would say that is half (or more) of the fun. To me a simple list of names doesnt mean a lot.

So -  once you are back to 1901, and from there back to 1841, there are the censuses. Every ten years.
They will give you an address for the people, which coupled with the addresses that you find on their birth/ marriage and death certs, will give you a good idea of their movements. Look up on a local map to see if th roads are still there. If you can, take a trip there and see them for yourself. Likewise look up the churches where the family weddings and christenings and burials took place, many town websites will have a photo of the parish church, or better still take a trip there and see them yourself.
Censuses, along with the certificates, will also give occupations. Find out all you can about those occupations. If it involves a local shop or factory, see if the local record office has any photos or memorabilia. Directoroies can be useful here too
It sounds like your tree is the sort that starts with one person at the bottom and branches out as it goes up (to 2, then 4, then 8etc) as opposed to one that starts at the top with one person and follows one particular line or name downwards, getting wider as it goes. Therfore I guess that you will not have explored siblings of each person. So - to build up a true picture of their family life, starting with when they were growing up at home, find out what brothers and sisters they had, and what happened to them as they grew up.

Just a few ideas for you to mull over - hopefully you will really 'get to know' your ancestors as you progress with your tree.

HAppy hunting!

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
It's personal choice whether to widen the search to siblings and beyond. I find that it makes things more interesting though, you can get more of a picture of the whole family, their occupations etc. And of course you stand more chance of contacting second third etc cousins  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
 should i?

That is entirely up to you. It is your family, your tree, your research.

No "should" or "shouldn't" about it.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, sara, we are so pleased for you! Honestly!

Yes - i'd go sideways. Find your great aunts and great uncles, and your great great aunts and... well, you get the picture.  ;D

It'll give you a rounded view of the family. You'll see a lot of the info on the Census records.  Or ask us - we're here to help.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 18:24 BST (UK) »
that all sounds much better, i really want to research their lives too.  is there anywhere i can look at freemasonary?  my g grandfather was a freemason and it would be interesting to see what that is about?