Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pyke
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 October 07 09:19 BST (UK) »

Hi Again,
What is the connection between your grandfather  Alfred Tressilian Marslen

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,238503.15.html

and this family who have named their child born in 1888 Arthur Tressilian Pyke?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hello  there
Sue 
most likely  the connection  is  Alfred's  mum  Annie  PYKE   is   Joseph Pyke's daughter (I am  quessing )

regard Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 October 07 11:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Powershot,

I may be able to help you with your Pyke/Pike family.

If you think that you have hit a brick wall it's because the Pike/Pyke name was used instead of their given name "Tweed" so that someone could inherit.

Tell me where you are up to and I'll try and come back down your line from the late 1500's.

You may be interested to also see this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,255133.0.html

(hope I have that link right??)

Regards
Di

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Powershot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 October 07 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
 Jenn has it right they were brother and sister . It may be a old family name. I don't know thank goodness Tressilian and Fearless didn't continue to be passed on.
Rachel
Maslen, Buglass, Cross , Pyke, Barnes, Gooch, Govet.

Offline Powershot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 October 07 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,
Any information you have would be grealtly appreciated i can only go back as far as John Tweed Pyke who married Annie Moore as seen at the top of this page as from there back stale mate but i have only started really looking in to this branch in the last few days.
Cheers
Rachel
p.s for the record John and Annie's son Joseph his
daughter Annie Francis married my great grandfather Fearless Maslen

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,

Please check the following information as I'm trying to fill in the gap between your lot and mine but they are related!

John Tweed Pyke married Ann Moore 05.09.1833 St Andrews Holborn London (IGI Submitted entry - probably correct but check Parish Register)

John Tweed Pyke was Born 28.07.1806 and Bp 07.09.1806 Birdbrook Essex (again IGI Submitted - probably correct but needs checking - I'm a bit suspicious of the Birdbrook as place of Bp  :-\)

NOTE: - skipping a few generations here so you have an idea of where the Pyke/Pike name fits in.

John Tweed (NO PYKE) was Bp 12.03.1712 Stoke by Clare Suffolk. Son of Thomas Tweed and Elizabeth Goldegay

Thomas Tweed married Elizabeth Goldegay (nee Crouch) 3 Jan 1710 Layston Herts (It was her second marriage - her first marriage was in 1686)

Now this is that part that joins my family - and the introduction of the Pyke name.

Elizabeth Crouch (Bp 29.05.1668 Layston Herts)
 d/o John Crouch and Elizabeth Baker (nee Pyke/Pike)

Elizabeth Pike was the daughter of George Pike and her name is mentioned on the George Pike memorial Stone on the previous link I gave you.

To fill in some details:

George Pike had one son - called George. Although he married I don't think he had any children as his sisters were listed as his heirs.  The estate called Birdwood/Birdbrook in Essex was passed down to the eldest living male heir from the original George Pike.

Consequently, the estate and manor etc came to John Tweed (some reports say his name was John Crouch but with all the name changes it's no wonder everyone, including moi, is/was confused  ???).

Anyway, he needed to have the name Pike/Pyke to inherit (I don't know if that was a condition of the original will or a choice he made). So, with an act of Parliament (I believe) he either added the Pyke name to his, or changed his name in full, and inherited the entire estate.

Back to more current times -

John Tweed Pyke had at least three brothers. They all immigrated to Tasmania in the late 1830's. I have been told that they were free settlers but I can't confirm that.
Most of the family remained in Tas but your Joseph Pyke went to Victoria/Ballarat (as per previous posts)

I understand that your great grandmother Annie Francis was one of 13 children born to Joseph.

Phew - I do hope that I haven't confused you totally. Feel free to ask for further information but that is probably enough to start with.

I apologise for any errors in the above - bit early in the morning to be thinking clearly  ;)

Hope this helps and happy hunting

Di

PS There are plenty of Pyke descendants remaining in Tas and Vic who are related to the original three brothers.

PPS If you Google PIKE and CROUCH you will get lots of information. Google Books also has quite a few references to the name and the changes.

There are also other "cousins" of yours researching this family.

Offline Powershot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 October 07 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Di
Thaks heaps for all of that information i will start adding the information to the correct places in my family tree and go from there i'm sure that i will find heaps more stuff that i want to know.
Thanks Rachel

Offline Clif

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the TWEED family for 8 years, inheriting research gathered over 25 years by others.
I have not quite caught up with some of the info on here but have details added to my Tweed Tree  re the Crouch = Pyke = Tweed  family.  I have worked from research provided by a professional researcher ( I did not pay ) and a  hand drawn Pedigree by ' Whitehead ' the Suffolk Geneologist  from the SOG.
I have added my bits along the way including a couple of Crouch / Tweed Wills.
Yes the Pyke name was handed down as a condition of inheritance.

I am happy to exchange info via em
Clif.jade[at]ntlworld.com

It has just taken me 20 minutes to find this Board  via  Google and 2 open web browsers..following links from Google to here..then 8 pages to get here...must be an easier way !.

- Clif ( London )

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clif,

Good to hear from another Pyke/Crouch etc family researcher.

I have sent you an email

Regards
Di