Author Topic: James Ross (1864-1914) - Completed.  (Read 12689 times)

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Ross (c.1864)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 October 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,

Thought I would add a bit about St Fergus.  Up until 1st May1891, St Fergus belonged to

Banffshire...after that it belonged to Aberdeenshire.

http://www.abdnet.co.uk/genuki/BAN/Stfergus/index.html

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 October 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Windsor,

He's certainly proving to be a tricky find. :) Have you looked at any of his other children's marriages that may narrow down the date of death even more?

hume24

Looks like the census record will come in hand after all.  :)
Elaine - I knew that the boundaries had changed at some point, but wasn't sure when or which way. Thanks.  :)
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 07 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that I am still looking. There are just quite alot of Ross's out there.
Should I find my James Ross, I will let you know.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 January 12 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Almost 5 years later and I still don't know what happened to James Ross.

I have, though, found the family in 1911 - James is still alive.

James Ross, Head, 47, Cooper - Fish Trade, b. St. Fegus.
Williamina Ross, Wife, 47,                         , b. Peterhead.
Arthur Ross, Son, 19, Wood Sawyer,            b. Peterhead.
Elizabeth Ross, Dau, 17, Tweed Weaver, Wool Mill, b. Old Machar.
Edith Ross, Dau, 14, General Worker, Wool Mill, St. Machar.
James A. Ross, Son, 12, School,                  b. St. Machar.
William Ross, Son, 10, School,                     b. Nigg.
Edward Ross, Son, 8, School,                       b. St. Machar.

So at least we can narrow his date of death to between 1911-1920...

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 January 12 19:05 GMT (UK) »
How about this man? His age is out by a couple of years but it may be worth checking him out.
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=617393

Regards,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 January 12 22:48 GMT (UK) »
How about this man? His age is out by a couple of years but it may be worth checking him out.
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=617393

Regards,
flst

I checked out that record just after I posted, and I don't think it's him. There is, however, and other one which has taken my eye:

J. Ross
Private
3/7169
1st Gordon Highlanders
b. St. Fergus
Enlisted: Aberdeen
Killed in Action: 17 November 1914 - France.

When I checked this against the Minor Records, it gave me an age of 45...he should be 50 by 1914.

But then I found this: http://gordonhighlanders.carolynmorrisey.com/PeterheadNames2.htm

If you scroll down to the bottom of the list, you'll see that the James Ross listed above was a Peterhead man.

Our James was born in St. Fergus, lived in Peterhead, but also lived in Aberdeen...he's in all the right places, and nearly the right age.

So it could be him. I will have to find out if there are copies of Peterhead papers archived locally as I'm sure there would be a mention there which would tell if it was him.

I thought being killed was a possibility, but felt it was a slim one given his age. To be honest I was paying more attention to the Navy Reserve casualties.

Windsor87

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 January 12 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Peterhead library has the Buchanie on microfiche, if that's any help.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 January 12 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks flst,

I shall have to venture out to Peterhead library to see if there is any mention. I know the Fraserburgh Herald ran a "Roll of Honour" for the duration of the war - hopefully the Buchanie did the same.

I have looked up James Ross' medal card on the national archives - unfortunately there is no next of kin mentioned (on rare occasions they can be mentioned - usually on the back). 

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 January 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
No need! I can confirm he's your man ;D
I've viewed the WW1 service record on Ancestry. His widow signed for his war medal. Her name's Williamina & she lived in Glasgow. Their children's names , ages & addresses are noted. Unfortunately I cannot make out the writing as it's very faint. I can say that there's a Margaret, 30, living in Peterhead, ?27, Elizabeth 26, Edith 23, James?, William?, Edward 17.
flst