Author Topic: Diary of John Fowler 15yrs, Ship Atalanta..1859..  (Read 4099 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Diary of John Fowler 15yrs, Ship Atalanta..1859..
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 November 16 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenjo, I don't know if you're still around but I would love to know where you got this! I was looking through some old papers of my grandfather's and would you believe, I found exactly this story manually typed out (I assume by my grandfather). I don't know where he got it from and I would love to know its provenance. As far as I can tell, we have no connection to anyone with the name Fowler. My grandfather's name was Gwyllym Davies. He was born in Western Australia, lived most of his life in Melbourne and died in 1986.
Hope this reaches you!
Marj

Hello Marj and welcome to rootschat.

It looks like Jo has not been online since June 2014, but she may still receive email notification of your post. A quick check on the shipslist.com shows that the Atalanta left 24 March 1858 and arrived 9 June. 1 adult female death is recorded on the voyage and 1 female child. Which all mostly tallies with the diary (I guess the newborn deaths weren't recorded).

Agreed, a very interesting read: it would be interesting to find out where it came from.  :)