Author Topic: lear - possibly illegitimate? - very puzzled  (Read 2260 times)

Offline andreajodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
lear - possibly illegitimate? - very puzzled
« on: Monday 05 November 07 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
A while ago i put a post up about a man named john lear c.1783 (motcombe, dorset) married to a frances lilley c.1795 and also a charlotte (surname unknown) c. 1791. He had these children :
Amaria (or amelia - hard to make out on records) c.1807, james c.1810, elizabeth c.1812, mary 1814, john c.1819, thomas c.1821, william c.1821, mathew c.1822, frances c.1824 and mark c.1827
I have got all this info from census records and dorset parish records (online version)
However, U can seem to go no further with John Lear and am finding this really irritating and ont want to give up as there are lears in motcombe, dorset parish records from the late 1500's onwards!!! I know his parents must be there somewhere, but I can't work out how and its been puzzling me for nearly two years whilst the rest of my family tree is expanding!!!
I have found a piece of aper in my folder stating only this:
"John's brother James???? Mother Elizabeth Lear??? Illegitimate???"
Unfortunately I cannot recall where I got this idea from and knew that even then it was just a hunch.
If there is anyone that could help me solve this puzzle I would be so grateful!!
Thanks
Jodie

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: lear - possibly illegitimate? - very puzzled
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 November 07 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jodie

Have you checked all the entires for lear in Motcombe at the Dorset OPC site
http://www.dorset-opc.com/MotcombeFiles/MotcombeBaps2.htm

There seem to be a number baptised at the same time - making one wonder if the list includes any adult baptisms.

These may be where the idea of mother Elizabeth came from - but if baptised as babes seem too late for your John
John Lear base born son of   Elizabeth was baptized 25-Dec 1800
James Lear base born son of   Elizabeth was baptized 7-Sep 1806

According to the OPC site, John Lear and Frances Lilly married 29 Dec 1806 - not 1795
1806 John Lear & Frances Lilly were married 29-Dec

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andreajodie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: lear - possibly illegitimate? - very puzzled
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes i went through all of those records which must have been where that idea came from about elizabeth being his mother
when i said frances lilley c. 1795 i meant that that is the date i have for her birth not their marriage
so still highly stuck and confused!!!
thanks
jodie