Author Topic: COLLINS family Enfield/Southgate  (Read 7332 times)

Offline CDCYW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COLLINS family Enfield/Southgate
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 May 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Kiwi32,

My apologies for not being in touch.  I have been looking for some documents relating to the family but they might have got lost in our last move.  I'll continue looking and will contact you as soon as I have something.

Best wishes,

CDCYW

Offline kiwi32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 May 09 01:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks CDCYW
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Cheers, Kiwi32
Collins, Gater - Middlesex/Hertfordshire
George, Sellar, Cantley, Bremner, Taylor - Banffshire
Cowie, McRae, Craik, Rainie - Aberdeenshire
Henderson, Common, Graham, Anderson - Dumfriesshire
Clark - Lincolnshire
Also:  Donaldson, Condliffe, Stanley, Hockey, Auty, Watt, Vallance, Mawhinnie, Arden, Wylie.

Offline Roger Norman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
My mother (Gladys Norman nee Stone) was born in Southgate and went to school with Sam Collins so she used to buy all her meat in the shop. I clearly remember going with her and standing on the sawdust strewn floor whilst they chatted. That would have been 1948/52 I guess. If I recall correctly, his wife used to work in the “pay booth”. Roger Norman

Offline collinskin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 17 21:43 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Collinskin here

Sam Collins was my grandfather and his wife was Annie Sophia my grandmother. They had one child my mother Jill in December 1934. She was a Southgate GP  until she left her medical profession behind to take up a music degree and ultimately left the country, living on a yacht in the Mediterranean. I also remember skidding and sliding in the sawdust in my grandfather's shop. We would be dropped off there after school. I was one of four children. My name is Joanna and I am one of three of Sams grandchildren children still alive.  I and my two siblings currently live in the west country., Devon to be precise.
Best wishes to all
Jo

Offline Roger Norman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 December 17 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry despatched first half by mistake...
....Ossidge Lane.

I had two sisters, both now deceased (one Southgate County and the other Minchenden where I followed) and I too moved to Devon nearly 50 years ago. Southgate (or The Village as Mother would have it) seems and is, many years ago. I do have a copy of "Old Southgate" by Herbert Newby that was published in the 50s and makes interesting reading.

Enuff!

Kind regards

Roger Norman

Offline Roger Norman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Jo

Further apologies as I now realise that the first part of my message (that might be of interest to you!) actually didn't
get sent, merely lost!

I was relating a fond memory I have of a conversation I witnessed between my mother and your grandfather. Mother
was a firm believer in speaking her mind! One week she berated Sam for a poor joint she'd bought the previous
weekend, so he replaced it! In fairness, the following Monday she went in to praise the replacement. "It's all in the
cooking Gladys" said Sam, "All in the cooking!” Brilliant! Killed off all future complaints.

Mother was one of 10 - too many for their little house in Chase Road so she was brought up with her twin by maiden
aunts who lived in a wooden house opposite the taxi rank but it was demolished on the building of the tube station.
The aunts were teachers ar Hazelwood Lane school and I wonder whether that was where she met Sam or whether
it was at Southgate County where she met my father.

I don't remember your mother - I seem to remember that our doctor was a man whose practice was in Chase Side
on the Southgate side of Ossidge Lane.

Hope this makes some sense now?

Regards

Roger