Author Topic: CRITTEN/CRITTON/CRETTEN - Family  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Ade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CRITTEN/CRITTON/CRETTEN - Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 November 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »

From Boyds marriage index

1742 / CRETTEN  J / FRANCIS  XTIAN / CARLTON COLVILLE  /SUFFOLK 

1719 / CRITTON  WILL / ELSHAM  LID/  UGGESHALL / SUFFOLK 

Sue,

Thanks for your interest

Can I enquire is there any way of finding out if this William Critten above (1719) is possibly the brother of John Critten who married Christiana Francis?

The son of John and Christiana was named William so I'm thinking that John and Christiana Critten/Critton would normaly have had more children anyway but its generally par for the course that the eldest gets named after the father isn't it?
Could it be that John and Christiana had another son named John who possibly died at birth or did they name the only child they had after his brother?

William Critten was baptised on the 14th November 1744 @ North Cove, Suffolk, England but I,m not sure at which church?

I have not been able to find any other children to this marriage and have the feeling that Christiana died bef 1750 as there is a marriage for a John Critten to a Susan Algar on 4th July1750 in Carlton Colville where they are both stated as being widow and widower.

It makes me think that poor Christian died giving birth to William or even twins especially as there are no other children it seems!!

My problem is that I cannot find a death or a burial for Christian Critten about 1744 or at any other time anywhere??

Another thing that is perplexing me is where did Christiana come from??

I have the Carlton Colville parish registers and there are no families named Francis there from 1710 onwards, but I have been lead to believe that generally marriages took place in the parish of the bride!!
The baptism notes I have posted fro her and John as being named as parents of William bap 1744 are from North Cove, the marriage of 1742 is spot on.
Critten, Cretten, Critton

(Southwold, Suffolk UK and surrounding districts)