Author Topic: Joseph Smyth 1723 Sholebrooke  (Read 7776 times)

Offline oberon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Smyth 1723 Sholebrooke
« on: Friday 23 November 07 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I'm trying to trace Joseph Smyth born 1723 in Sholebrooke, Northants (I think he was probably born in Sholebrooke Lodge).

Joseph married Lucy Knightley (b. 10 Oct 1727) 21 Jul 1749 in Hampstead.

They had two children that I know of; Henry and Charles John Smyth.

Joseph was verderer of Whittlebury forest.

Any help deeply appreciated.

David

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Smyth 1723 Sholebrooke
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 07 08:55 GMT (UK) »
there are more children attributed to this couple but they are submitted entries so should be treated with some scepticism
name. henry smyth
date of chr. 20th may 1751.
place. whittlebury,northants.
name. john smyth
date of chr. 22nd oct 1757. date of death. 24th oct 1757.
place. whittlebury.
name. george smyth
date of chr. 29th june 1758. date of death. 2nd july 1758.
place. whittlebury.
name. charles john smyth.
date of chr. 6th feb 1760.
name. joseph george smyth
date of chr. 29th oct 1761. date of death. 2nd nov 1761.
there are also another two possibles named smith parents joseph-lucy
name. charles smith.
date of chr. 29th may 1752. date of death. 6th aug 1756.
place. whittlebury.
name. joseph smith
date of chr. 30th may 1753. date of death. 7th aug 1753.
place. whittlebury.

all are submitted entries from the IGI
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline oberon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 07 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away. Thank you for the information which I will treat with caution until secondary verification!

David

Offline yrrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 July 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Noticed your messsage re Joseph Smyth. I am descended from his son Charles John Smyth. Would be interested in exchanging information.

I have recently been given a copy of Charles John Smyth's family tree back to King Edward III. Unfortunately I do not know the original source of the document and there are no dates.

What is your connection to the Smyth family?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Kerry
Merry; Monro; Gibbs; Caspersonn; Mountford; Newell;

Offline oberon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I'm on a bit of a wild goose chase trying to connect Joseph to my Smyths who married into my family, Robarts, who were/are connected with Whittlebury and Sholebrooke.

My tree can be found at www.stepneyrobarts.co.uk and my email address is david dot robarts at btinternet dot com - I'd love to exchange information if there's a connection.

David

Offline Steenwyck

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have a certain amount of information on the Smyths - Joseph and his two sons Henry and Rev Charles John and the Rev Charles Bohun which I am very happy to share. They were both at New College.
Joseph and then his sons were leaseholders of the manor of Radclive from 1767 to 1809 which is my main interest and I would be delightged to have any information on Joseph's parents and how Henry came to own property around Charlton, Newbottle and Kings Sutton. Charlton is sometimes confused with Charwelton where Joseph's wife came from.
A fine portrait of Joseph on a horse by George Stubbs is held by the Fitzwilliam.
There is some confusion over Joseph's dates which do not tie up with the supposed memorial (now covered by tiles) in Whittlebury church saying he died aged 88. I think he was born 1723 and died 1799 i.e. aged c. 76.
Joseph was Lieutenant of Whittlebury Forest under the D of Grafton and was also Master of his Hounds. Sholebroke Lodge was a Fitzroy house presumably a form of grace and favour house while he was Mater of Hounds etc.
There is another family of Smyths who lived at Heath Hall nr Wakefield and were married into the Fitzroy family in late C18 and early C19 - John Smyth and John Henry Smyth - both MPs - but their connections may not be close.
Steenwyck

Offline yrrek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 11 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Steenwyck,

Would be happy to exchange information. Joseph Smyth was my 5th great-grandfather, I am a descendant of his son Rev Charles John Smyth.

Joseph married Lucy Knightley of Fawsley; his parents were Joseph Smyth, Corley Co Warwick and Judith Burton married 7 Aug 1705 at Great Packington Warwick. I have Joseph listed as the 2nd of 8 children so it is quite possible that his birth year could be abt 1711.

I have nothing on Joseph Snr's parents, but Judith's parents were Humphrey Burton (1652-) and Judith Bohun (abt 1657-) for both of whom I have ancestral data.

I also have a comprehensive lineage for Lucy Knightley.

I am still researching the family and as yet have not confirmed the dates etc. from primary sources, but would be happy to share what I have. Please contact at merry at coldstream-plantation dot com dot au

Regards
Kerry Anne Merry
Merry; Monro; Gibbs; Caspersonn; Mountford; Newell;

Offline Charltoncav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 March 15 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steenwyck,

I have been looking closely at Henry Smyth of Charlton, Northants from the point of view of adjoining landowners.  Henry first appears in my research (apart from his Whittlebury and New College , Oxford background) to have been living in 1792 near Charlton in Steane/Stene/Steene Northants when he married a wealthy landowning Charlton widow, Mary Gibbard (previously Mary Harris/Harrison), in Stene Chapel, near Charlton. Much of her land was inherited by her from her deceased husband Richard Gibbard who in turn had inherited this land and other land from his father, William Gibbard and uncle, Edward Gibbard. there was a marriage settlement between Henry Smyth and Mary Gibbard in 1793 and 1794.   I have Mary Smyth's Will which shows the arrangements in relation to land in Aynho and Croton [Croughton] and some other land but not in relation to the Charlton and Kings Sutton land.  Mary Smyth named other beneficiaries in her Will  but her main heiress was her great niece, Mary Gibbard Wastie who married John Ingram Lockhart in around 1804 but who died in around 1827.  Henry Smyth remarried about 1804 in Holborn, London to a Sarah Crisp/Chrisp who outlived Henry.  she may have brought more land into his ownership.  In addition he may have bought more land elsewhere as he did around Charlton/Newbottle/Kingsutton.
I did not know about the Radclive land near Tingewick , Bucks.  Coincidentally, a son, Joseph CAVE, of the  Charlton person I am researching, John CAVE, (a joint neighbour of the Gibbard later Smyth land in Charlton) became a school teacher in Radclive and some other descendants moved to Tingewick nearby. I would like to know more about the  Radclive land.  I would also like to know if Henry Smyth was previously married before his marriage to Elizabeth Gibbard.  What did Henry Smyth do between about 1773 when he graduated from Oxford until he appeared in Stene in 1792?    ???  He is buried in the churchyard of St James Church, Newbottle in a national trust listed chest tomb.
Charltoncav

Offline Charltoncav

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 March 15 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have been looking closely at Henry Smyth of Charlton, Northants from the point of view of adjoining landowners.  Henry first appears in my research (apart from his Whittlebury and New College , Oxford background) to have been living in 1792 near Charlton in Steane/Stene/Steene Northants when he married a wealthy landowning Charlton widow, Mary Gibbard (previously Mary Harris/Harrison), in Stene Chapel, near Charlton. Much of her land was inherited by her from her deceased husband Richard Gibbard who in turn had inherited this land and other land from his father, William Gibbard and uncle, Edward Gibbard. there was a marriage settlement between Henry Smyth and Mary Gibbard in 1793 and 1794.   I have Mary Smyth's Will which shows the arrangements in relation to land in Aynho and Croton [Croughton] and some other land but not in relation to the Charlton and Kings Sutton land.  Mary Smyth named other beneficiaries in her Will  but her main heiress was her great niece, Mary Gibbard Wastie who married John Ingram Lockhart in around 1804 but who died in around 1827.  Henry Smyth remarried about 1804 in Holborn, London to a Sarah Crisp/Chrisp who outlived Henry.  she may have brought more land into his ownership.  In addition he may have bought more land elsewhere as he did around Charlton/Newbottle/Kingsutton.
I did not know about the Radclive land near Tingewick , Bucks.  Coincidentally, a son, Joseph CAVE, of the  Charlton person I am researching, John CAVE, (a joint neighbour of the Gibbard later Smyth land in Charlton) became a school teacher in Radclive and some other descendants moved to Tingewick nearby. I would like to know more about the  Radclive land.  I would also like to know if Henry Smyth was previously married before his marriage to Elizabeth Gibbard.  What did Henry Smyth do between about 1773 when he graduated from Oxford until he appeared in Stene in 1792?    ??? He is buried in the churchyard of St James Church, Newbottle in a national trust listed chest tomb.
Charltoncav