Author Topic: N Wales photographers dates of business please  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
N Wales photographers dates of business please
« on: Saturday 24 November 07 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Another two: does anyone know when these photographers were in business? (19 cent)

HJ Hughes 1&2 Victoria Street Twthill Carnarvon
Wm Hughes Llangefni

Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: N Wales photographers dates of business please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 07 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Well...here's one:
"H. J. Hughes, Photographer and Phrenologist, a native of Flintshire, who
began life as a farm labourer, developed a latent artistic talent and took
up photography as a profession. He set up business in a caravan near
Caernarfon Castle in c. 1860, and later opened a studio in Twthill as a
portrait painter and photographic artist. Eventually he moved on to Trefriw,
Rhyl, Liverpool and St. Annes on Sea. He spent the last years of his life in
Dyserth, dying there aged 94 in 1924. His interest in phrenology led to the
publication of a Welsh treatise on the subject."

Apparently HJ (which I suspect stands for Hugh John) left Carnarvon in about 1877.

I wasn't able to find the Llangefni Hughes, sorry.

Cheers,
China

Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 07 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - so I guess the two photos I have are sometime between mid 1860s and 1877.  In fact I suspect the two individuals were dead by 1871 as I cannot find them on 1871 census
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 07 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked FBMD for death registration? Granted it's tough to find the right person in Wales registrations because there are so few surnames... :P

Cheers,
C
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 07 10:31 GMT (UK) »
you hit the nail on the head - so few surnames and so much repitition of single names.  So far I have always decided I could spend my money more usefully elsewhere - some day I may get round to ordering a million and one possible hughes/williams death certificates ;)  Then there's always the risk they crossed over from Anglesey and died in Carnarvon - 2 million more certs to order ???

To my knowledge there is no conenction between hughes the photographer and one of the photos which who also happens to be a hughes :D

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have a load of Williamses and Joneses around Dolwyddelan...the only way I managed to get back as far as I have is that I had g-grandparents' actual wedding certificate, tattered and coming apart at the seams, and a couple of photos with names on the back. Otherwise, it's pretty dicey... ::)

Cheers,
C
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »
william hughes was trading as a photographer in the High Street Llangefni in 1880

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:30 GMT (UK) »
These are my paternal grandmother's lines - I've got gt grandparents wedding details - it is going beyond that where the problem starts. In 2 lines - they came to liverpool and married (Welsh to Welsh you know - no mixing with the foreign scousers  or Irish or whatever:o - in fact Anglesea to Anglesea - let's not mix with these nasty mainlanders!!)  

One line I have followed nicely to turn of 18/19 cent on Anglesey but the other - well have you any idea how many John Williams were born nr 1850 on Anglesey - and how many of those were sons of William Williams - and I have precious little else to go on.

I have a go then get fed up and go to other more reqarding lines, then a year or so later come back for more punishment - like trying to work out who is in these photographs/

How about the attached  - nothing on reverse and no idea who it is.  Any suggestions as to date?

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 07 20:34 GMT (UK) »
thank you old rowley - isn't it funny how many of these photographers are hughes and so are the people in my photographs - but no known connections - I intended to attach a lady in Welsh costume - nothing on reverse but if anyone has ideas of dates it would be itneresting - I haven't the foggiest who she is