Author Topic: LANCASHIRE TO CANADA - how to find  (Read 5116 times)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LANCASHIRE TO CANADA - how to find
« on: Saturday 01 January 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone suggest how I can find out how a relative ended up in Hamilton, Ontario?  She is Annie HARPER born 1881 in Lancashire and married Jack ROWLEY (not absolutely sure of spelling).  They were in Hamilton, Ontario in 1954 and he was a carpenter perhaps with his own business.  It is thought he built furniture.  How can I possibly trace them?  I have hit a brick wall with this one.  Any help gratefully appreciated.

Kay ???
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: LANCASHIRE TO CANADA - how to find
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 February 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi'ya Kay,

Do you have any idea on when Annie and Jack left Lancashire and when they appreared in Ontario ??

Did you find them in the Lancashire Census returns or was this too early for your research.

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 05 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

I have only found Annie in the 1881 Lancashire census with her parents, Robert and Esther and sister Esther, in St Helens.  I found these three in the 1891 census but no sign of Annie. She was named Annie Vernon Harper and born  c1880 in Warrington, Lancashire.  I have no information on Jack and I do not know if he is English or Canadian, how old he is or when and where they married.  I only know that my aunts visited them in Hamilton, Ontario in 1954/55.

Thanks for your interest.  Hope you can help.

Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 February 05 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,

I checked on the British 1901 and she does not apprear there either.

Did you manage to find Anne Harper on the 1891 Census, If Annie did emmigrate before the 1891 census she would have only have been very young to travel on her own.

Does Annie appear in the 1901 census for Ontario ?

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah

No she wasn't with her parents on the 1891 census which makes it very strange.  She would have been young then not to have even been with her parents in 1891.  No idea at what age she travelled to Canada.  Don't know if Jack was English or Canadian either or where they met and married.  As you can see it is a real puzzle.

Kay

Offline tallted

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 February 05 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
Is it possible that your relative Annie was a Home Child sent to Canada.  Both my mothers parents were sent here as Home Children, one as he was from very poor parents in Lanc. andhe was begging in the streets or so the official reason was written.  My 'grdmom was sent by an Aunt as she was a "disruptive child " and a " bad influence on her cousins", she was being boarded with her aunt.  There are many stories of Home Children, and several institutions in U.K. that sent them away indentured.  Try the Home Child Page in the Archives Canada site, you may be able to find her name there.
Ted
Surnames I am Interested in:
Dolan, Banks, Chambers, Bemi, Hills, Crowe

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 February 05 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
I was thinking along the same lines as Ted, that Annie might have been a Home Child. Your comments about her being a bit young to emigrate might suggest that possibility.  There is a database to search for Home Children on the Canadian Genealogy Centre site.

You might also try the 1901 Canadian Census site.  There is an Annie Harper listed as an adopted daughter, b. 13 Apr/1880, living with the Sherrick family.  The Automated Census site has a link to the actual census image. I took a look at the image, and this Annie Harper was born in England. Here’s the link:
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/cache/index.html

~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Meg and Ted

Thanks for the help.  The thing is I cannot figure out why they would send her away.  The parents (born around 1845) are on the 1891 census and her older sister was married in 1889 and shows up on the 1891 census with her own family and also on 1901.  Haven't found parents on 1901.  I suppose they could have died and that may be a reason to send Annie away.  Her name was unusual in that she was Annie Vernon HARPER and I thought this would make it easy to find her.  By the way I tried searching the site you sent Meg but could not find her - could you tell me how and where you found her, which city/province.  I could not even find the Sherrick family  :-[  I had no idea about the Home Children - the site is so sad. I will see if I can find deaths of the parents or will check again on the 1901 census for them.  Please let me know if you think of anything else for me.

Thanks again, Kay

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Kay,
If you go to the 1901 Automated Census link, click on Ontario.  Type in the surname and choose initial.  A page will come up giving all Harpers with the first name starting with A. Scroll down to Annie Harper, 20, Simcoe (North/Nord), Stayner, f-1, 7, 14.  You will be able to click on the number 7.  That will take you to the page where the names have been transcribed (by volunteers).  You can also view the actual image by following the link given at the top of the page.

Hope I haven't confused you with these directions. 

Good luck,
~meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"