Author Topic: LANCASHIRE TO CANADA - how to find  (Read 5119 times)

indiapaleale

Re: LANCASHIRE TO CANADA - how to find
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 February 05 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Kay,

Here is Canadian Archives web site for British Home Children
http://www.collections.ca/02/02011003_e.html

If you search for Harper...you will see a couple of Annies...one at least was sent to Ontario.

Don't be put off by the wrong ages....many of the records are wrong re age.

Here is a web site devoted to British Home Children. Perry Snow has devoted his time to helping others trace their BHCs.
http:// freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~britishhomechildren/#BHC_NAME_LIST

It's worth joining the Rootsweb British Home Children Mailing List (see Perry's page)  lots of people helping each other find BHCs.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
India

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 February 05 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again for all suggestions.  I will check into these.  I have no proof that she was actually a Home Child but you never know.  I am still trying to find her on the UK 1891 and 1901 census.

Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 05 03:41 BST (UK) »
Do you have a specific date of birth for her? That would help!

Mary G.

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 July 05 04:17 BST (UK) »
I have Annie Vernon Harper born around 1880 and on the 1881 census she was living with her parents Robert and Esther Harper at 52 Wilson Street, Eccleston, Lancashire.  Also there were her two older sisters Ann born ~1868 and Esther born ~1870.

Does this offer any leads?

Thanks Kay
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 July 05 04:33 BST (UK) »
I ask because the 1901 Canadian census data gives specific dates of birth, and that would help confirm if any of the Annie Harpers are yours.

Mary

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 July 05 04:55 BST (UK) »
hello

Have you any contact with the Rowley family in Hamilton? They may have information that you would be interested in. Currently there are only 6 listings for Rowley in Hamilton, you can find them here if you search for the name in Hamilton, Ontario

http://www.mytelus.com/phonebook/index.do

Good luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline J.A.M.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pte. Alexander McCalmont C.E.F. 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 July 05 19:24 BST (UK) »
KayP,
Have you tried contacting the Hamilton Public Library or the Toronto Reference Library. There are city directories that may be of some use. There are also a number of passenger lists in Toronto both in hard copy & microfilm. Also try a site called Pier 24 which was where many immigrants to Canada landed. In any case contact them, explain your request & they will point you in the right direction. Good hunting.
J.A.M.
Islandmagee, County Antrim, Ireland

Offline Mary G.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 July 05 20:04 BST (UK) »
If you look at the 1901 census, the 20 year old Annie Harper listed as an adopted daughter (living with the Sherrick family in Stayner, Ontario) has a child with her who is three years old - a Hazel Harper, listed as "adopted granddaughter". If this was your Annie, she may have emigrated or been sent away to save her family some embarrassment.

M.

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 August 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Sorry to take so long to respond.  I have just returned from vacation.  I wonder if the Annie you found could be mine?  That would be amazing and would certainly answer how she ended up in Hamilton, Ontario.  I have not tried the Hamilton Public Library yet.  I was confused because Ontario is divided into counties or townships and I have no idea which one she and her husband would have lived in.  Also as far as the rest of the family knew she had no children (of course if she was sent away for that reason then no-one else would know!)  I will also try the other suggestions you made and see if I can come up with anything.  I did try getting a death certificate for Annie's husband Jack Rowley but had no luck.  I will also try and find an exact date of birth for Annie.  Thanks once again for your kind help and I apologize again for not thanking you sooner.

Kay