Author Topic: How likely is this?  (Read 8345 times)

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How likely is this?
« on: Monday 10 December 07 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone who is a bit more experienced than me could give their opinion on the following please? I'm fairly confident about it, but it never hurts to check.  :)

I've found in the OPRs for my family, the Mor(r)isons a reference to a place called Bognie near Forgue in Aberdeenshire. So using that as my point of reference, I've managed to find Mor(r)isons back to 1689 in the OPR. I also ran a search on the NAS website, and found a few nuggets. There was an Alexander Morison granted lands at Bognie in 1635, then from about 1660 all the mentions are of a George Morison who married the Viscountess of Frendraught. My ancestor is a James Morison, born 1689, the son of Alexander.

So, what I'm thinking is that Alexander who had the lands granted in 1635 had two sons - George and Alexander. George was the eldest and inherited the majority of the lands, and Alexander got a smaller portion which became known as Brae of Bognie?

I'm just concerned that it's a big leap of faith really - especially since the furthest I've got back with any of my other lines is about 1750! Plus my line ended up in Manchester, so I've no idea about Scottish property laws or anything like that....

All thoughts appreciated!

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
Re: How likely is this?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 December 07 10:35 GMT (UK) »
It is always a possibility.
I find that most work on lines before 1800 is largely based upon guess work and probability.

Probability on on your side.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 December 07 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kathy

A few observations:

Scottish laws on inheritance were different from English ones. The Scotland's People web site gives some relevant information:

Land:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/faqs/questions/index.aspx?379

Moveable:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/faqs/questions/index.aspx?380

I'm not clear from what you have said whether you have definitely traced your James Morison to this line. It is a good idea to explore all avenues and test out links, pencilling in when uncertain.

Mor(r)ison, was not a rare name and  Alexander and James are/were pretty common.

Brae means hillside, which would imply that Alexander had the upper lands of Bognie.

Regards

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 December 07 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I take it that this is your lot:

http://www.thepeerage.com/p17167.htm

It doesn't give mention to the line you want, but that is to be expected from that site. It is very selective in the children they mention with children of the lower nobility.

If anyone has a copy of Burkes Peerage, or a similar type book, I'd imagine they'd be more accurate. I'm at University just now. I'll see if we have an easily accessible copy of the book. I will look it up for you if I can find a book, providing it's not in the special Libraries and Archives. (Sorry but I hate that place).

regards
Windsor87

Edit: There is one copy in the Library, but it dates from the 1950s (102nd Ed.). I promise I will have a look for you by the end of the day (providing I can find the book(it is in the basement)). I hope it will provide some more information.

Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 December 07 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow - yes, that's them! Hopefully, Alexander 1st of Bognie had a son named Alexander who would be the father of my James Morison, born 1689.

James Morison is definitely my ancestor, and he was definitely born at Bognie, so there must be a connection somewhere. I'd just really love to pin it down!

I hate archives as well, so don't go to any trouble :)

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 07 11:47 GMT (UK) »
It may come in handy for me as well. I have some lower nobles in the area too.

According to some online reading, if we can prove your descent from Alexander Morison (1st of Bognie), you would also have some relation to the late Princess of Wales. Fingers crossed.  :)

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 December 07 11:51 GMT (UK) »
 :o

And to think I nearly went to St Andrews in the hope of marrying Prince William....

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 December 07 13:04 GMT (UK) »
And to think I nearly went to St Andrews in the hope of marrying Prince William....
  ;D

I have checked Burke's, and it doesn't help much.

Burke's Landed Gentry (1937):

Alexander Morison, 1st of Bognie, we find had much influence in Strathbogie in 1640. His issue were a son, George, and two daus., Barbara and Mary.
The son, George, Morison, 2nd of Bognie, registered arms in 1673; m. 1680, Christian, dau. of Sir Alexander Urquhart of Cromarty,... They had issue a son and two daus.
The son, Thodore Morison....(b.1685).

As we can see, there is no mention of the 1st Alexander having a son called Alexander. Does this rule out your hopes? Not really. Burke's is not always final, especially on the lower gentry. In the 1937 account, they seem not to know who the 1st Alexander was even married to, so what is to say that they have accounted for all his children?

I think you should keep digging. Have you tried searching for wills or anything?

Offline Kathykins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 December 07 13:11 GMT (UK) »
There's quite a few records to do with the Morisons of Bognie including wills and things in the NAS apparently, but being in Devon it's a little difficult to see them!

I have found notes on another tree in ancestry which states that James Morison was in service to George 2nd of Bognie, but she doesn't give her source for this. The name Theodore does crop up in the tree several times which suggests some sort of connection with George.

It's all very confusing isn't it...?