Author Topic: Thomas Child  (Read 1484 times)

Offline paul1947

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thomas Child
« on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find some info re Thomas Child born c 1799 in Surrey.

I know he married Elizabeth Napper 0n 25/04/1822 in Cranley , Surrey.

Would appreciate some info re his parents and grandparents and also details#of Elizabeth Napper's parents etc. As far as iknow , she was born in Wandsworth c1803 .

According to the 1841 census , they were living in New Street , St Mary , Lambeth.

Any info greatly appreciated

Paul

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Child
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 December 07 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Paul,
1851 - Lambeth Church First, Lambeth  HO107/1571/15/23

Thomas Child  50  Cab driver  b. Cranley
Elizabeth        47                    b. S----?fold, Surrey
Sarah              16                   b. Bristow, Sry
Leah                 8                   b. ? Sry
John                11                   b. M/sex

I thought this extracted baptism on the IGI for Thomas Child 12/12/1802, Ewhurst, Sry. S/o James & Elizabeth was the right one but I spotted him on the 1861 census & it's not your Thomas.  Cranley or Cranleigh is next door to Ewhurst.  I would suggest you ask for a baptism look-up for him in Cranley as it's not on the IGI.
The 1861 census has him & the family in Lambeth Church Second  RG9/347/49/8

Thomas Child  57?  Coachman cab driver  b. Brunley Sry (I take that as Cranley)
Elizabeth        54                                                ditto
Mary Jane Neville  dau.  wid  32  dressmaker     b. Woking
Louisa Neville g/dau             12                          b. Bermondsey
Kate Neville     g/dau            10                                   ditto
Grace Neville  g/dau               8                          b. Battersea.

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 08 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

Sorry for the late reply but there isn't an entry for Thomas on the Cranleigh registers for that date +/-  5 yrs, actually the only entries are 1738, 1822 and 1838.

As Jane says, Cranleigh is next to Ewhurst and there are 3 other Ewhurst baptisms, one in 1797 and 2 in 1798 which could be your man. It's a shame there doesn't appear to be a fathers name as a witness to the marriage. Henry Scriven and Ann Finch don't appear to be the parish witnesses so they could be something to do with either family.

On the 1851 census Elizabeth is b Dunsfold, but there isn't an entry on the IGI for her there either.

Sorry no good news  :(

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline AlanCarter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 18:20 BST (UK) »
It has been quite  while but I hope this helps.

Thomas Child and Elizabeth Napper were my 3x great grandparents.

Thomas was described as a farmer of Woking on his marriage to Elizabeth Napper in 1822 in Cranley.

Their first son Thomas Ephraim Child supplies the link to his father's life in Lambeth and his earlier life in Woking.

Thomas Ephraim was baptised in Woking in 1822 to Thomas and Elizabeth, father's occupation Farmer.
William was baptised in 1826 father Thomas, farmer of Sutton, Woking. William died an infant.
Mary Jane was baptised in 1826 father's occupation Gamekeeper
Julia Ann baptised 1828 in Woking father's occupation Gamekeeper
Emma was baptised in Brixton, Surrey, father's occupation Baker
Sarah Maria, my ancestor, baptised in All Saints Kennington, father's occupation Stablekeeper
John 1839 Clapham
Leah 1843 Vauxhall

Thomas became a Cab Proprietor in Kennington, where he died in 1870. His son Thomas Ephraim married Sarah Clark in Bermondsey in 1844 and the father's information on the marriage certificate confirms the family came from Woking.

Thomas Childs stated he came from Bramley in the 1861 census which is adjacent to Cranley where he married. There was a family of farmers named Childs in Bramley back to at least the 1600s.  I haven't been able to find out any more, have no details and have found no mention of Thomas there, but then he could still have been one of the many Thomas Childs baptised in Cranley/Cranleigh and that area. I suspect, from researching that Thomas was baptised in Ewhurst in 1797 to William and Mary, I am sure that the three Thomas Child baptisms there at that time were to 3 brothers, Solomon, James and William. The son of Solomon and Mary married a Sarah, the son of James and Margaret seems to have become a schoolmaster, that leaves the son of William and Mary.

Elizabeth gave her place of birth as Dunsfold, perhaps that's the first pace she remembered living at, adjacent to Cranley, she may well have been living in Cranley by the time they married. Her daughter Leah Osborn gave her mother Elizabeth's place of birth as Guildford in the 1871 census for Battersea, where they both appear, just before Elizabeth died. The name Leah links to the Ewhurst families.

I hope this helps but would like to know if any progress has been made because I have found nothing definite for the earlier generations either.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 July 16 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Paul who started this topic hasn't been online here since July 2012.

I'm not sure whether he will receive an email notification that you have posted here or not but you could always send him a personal message to see if that prompts a response.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea