Author Topic: Hit a brick wall Peter Jewers, any help??  (Read 4033 times)

Offline gunnerb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hit a brick wall Peter Jewers, any help??
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all again, Just found my ggg grandfather (Peter Jewers) marriage certificate, thanks for all your help so far, but it seems that somewhere down the line his name has changed spelling wise!!
Anyway the marriage certificate that was kindly found for me on the census has arrived and Peter Dewar's father was called Archibald Dewar and his proffession was a Coachman, Peter born in Perthshire in 1821? so i pressume dad was from the area too,
any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks again for any past help this site is so friendly and imformative

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a brick wall, any help??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Have found family on 1861/1871/1881 Census to try and get a feel for this - on 1861 census he is 45 yet by next census he is only 50!   I began to suspect his supposed birthdate of ca.1821.

Checked on IGI and could only find one Peter Dewar son of Archibald - he was born 12/9/1811 bp.15/9/1811 Perth, Perthshire son of Archibald Dewar and Cecill or Cecilia Ower who were married at Perth 2/7/1807.   Various entries have been submitted by LDS members - there were 6 children shown i.e. Janet 1808, Peter 1811, Alexander 1818, Glenorchy (female) 1822, David 1824 and James 1826.   Family also has been submitted to Ancestry World Tree - if you are not subscribed to ancestry you can also view it on the free site at rootsweb.com.   The IGI would indicate that Archibald was b.23/9/1788, bp.28/9/1788 Perth, son of John Dewar and Janet Anderson.

The ancestry world tree shows that Archibald died 1854 in Dundee, Angus.   I have found a possible sighting of him:

1851 Census - Liff & Benvie, Angus

Archibald Dewar   Head    62     Hand Loom Weaver      b. Perth, Perthshire (bc.1789)
Margaret Strachan  dau.   20                                                ditto
Alexander Strachan  g/son  1                                         b. Dundee

(I have only viewed a transcription)

Cannot find in 1841.

Since the birth on the IGI is 10 years earlier than you expect no doubt you are thinking this can't be him which I can understand.   However, when Peter died the entry states: Peter Jewer      77     d.1889 Kensington    i.e. bc.1812!!

I feel sure he is the one born in Perth in 1811.   He was clearly a lot older than Bridget and knocked a few years off his age - however, by the time he died he'd obviously come clean at some point and his correct age is shown when he died. 

Hope this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 07 03:30 GMT (UK) »
This is peripheral information but might help rule out some searches ...

And the use of the female name Glenorchy, and Margaret's parents' names at her death, confirm that you have the right Archibald in 1851, Annette.

From the IGI, Margaret DEWAR m Alexander STRACHAN 1849 Liff Benvie & Invergowrie, Angus
From the IGI they had (all Dundee):
Glenorchy 1849, Joan 1852, Alexander 1854, Jessie 1856, Glenorchy 1858
Presumably Glenorchy b 1849, and Alexander who was 1 in the 1851 census did not survive.

In 1861, as STRAHAN, in Dundee are Alex 34, his children Johanna 8, Alex 6, Glenorchy 3, and his sister Janet 28.

A free search on ScotlandsPeople, refining the parameters, finds a death of Margaret STRACHAN, other name DEWAR, mother's maiden name OWER, age 27, in 1858 in Dundee.

And this is probably Glenorchy DEWAR (another sister of Peter) in 1891 - Glenorchy KEIL 68, keeps lodgers, Dundee, b Perth Perthshire.  The name Glenorchy KEILL (yes, an extra 'l') also occurs in Liff & Benvie in 1891 - young Glenorchy is aged 4 and her father John perhaps/probably a son of the older Glenorchy.
(I found Glenorchy snr as KEILL in the 1861 in Dundee with sons Archibald 9 and John 5.  The transcribers presumably gave up on her given name; it appears as 'MA' - I wonder what the original has!  And I wonder how they've mangled her name on other censuses?)
Glenorchy snr - surname KEILL, other surname DEWAR, died in Dundee in 1894 age 73.

JAP
PS: Here is a link to the earlier thread on Peter JEWERS:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,258141.0.html

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 07 05:03 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Archibald DEWAR, and the baptisms of some of the DEWAR children - Janet 1809, Peter 1811, David 1824, James 1826 - are on the Scottish BDM Exchange at:
http://www.sctbdm.com/
with a contact email address - presumably the person concerned would be able to provide the wording of the OPR entry (which might have no additional information - but, then again, it just might!).

The submitter also has entries re John KEILL & Margaret OWER.

The Angus surnames list at:
http://www.jimjar.net/Angus/k.html
has entries for
- John KEILL & Margaret OWER who married Perth/Dundee (the marriage entries are in the IGI as is the birth of a John Ower KEILL to them)
- John KEILL married Glenorchy DEWAR in 1846 in Dundee - there's a contact email for the entries. (This marriage is in the IGI in Liff Benvie & Invergowrie with Glenorchy as Gleny; also children to them - Archibald Dewar 1852, Margaret 1855, John 1856).

The Angus surnames list also has
- David DEWAR married 1846 in Liff & Benvie with a contact email.

JAP

Offline gunnerb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 December 07 21:39 GMT (UK) »
 ;D thanks alot everyone, this is sooooo much appreciated,  how do you find all this out ? im new to tree searching !! it will take a few days for all this to sink in!!! no relation to the whiskey people as i was led to believe!! so peter died nine years after he married bridget then !
on the marrige cert it states that Archibald was a coachman and Peters occupation was a horsekeeper wonder if theres any connection with the stagecoaches???  thanks a million everyone.  xxxxxx

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 March 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
       I  have found my uncle Peter Connelly who married a Glenorchy Dewar at St.Marys church Dundee in 1908.i think i found Glenorchys death in the 1950s in the Perth area which means they must have divorced as Peter married a Catherine Ritchie in 1919..and he died in 1938...
What i cannot find out is ....did Glenorchy and Peter have any children? as i have an unexplained aunt that was born in 1915 and was unformally adopted by my grandparents.(my aunt never had a birth cert.,)never knew her family name,i have looked up births with no surnames and with surnames but cannot find her birth.
In1930 my family were in Herons Lane Dundee my dad was a milk salesman my aunt was a hairdresser at Connelly & Masons in Herons Lane..

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Have you looked at the 1911 Census for Peter and Glenorchy ?
I can't see a divorce on the National Records of Scotland website.
Have you looked at your aunt's death(or marriage ?) certificate for parents information ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev,
        i also saw Peter and Glenorchy in the census with no children.my unexplained aunt her marriage and death only state her surname as my grandparents surname.Would you know how i could look into the hairdressing business (Connelly & Mason) as i found out from the Dundee archives that she was a hairdresser she would only have been 15yrs old,i am finding it difficult to believe she was part of a business.The Dundee archives could only tell me who was at that address (22 Herons Lane) could not tell me their ages or if my grandparents were there also...
Its a mystery!!!!I think i will write to the St.Marys church where Peter was married twice maybe they will have records..
Thank you very much for your input very much appreciated. :)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a brick wall Peter Jewers, any help??
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 March 16 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

I am very sorry but your message to Sarah has sadly bounced back to us, it looks like she has changed email address but we do not know what the new one is  :'(

I have done a little search with the info given but nothing. Old members do log in frequently I hope that this will be the case with Sarah.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk