Author Topic: Ruddy and Conlan in Drogheda  (Read 4760 times)

Offline BethW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ruddy and Conlan in Drogheda
« on: Saturday 15 December 07 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello to everyone,

I am new to this list. I am researching the families of Ruddy (Reddy) and Conlan (Conlon) in Drogheda at the moment during the years 1850-1890. My grandfather, Michael Ruddy (Reddy in the USA) was born 19 June 1886 to Michael Ruddy and Alice Conlon. (I have the birth certificate.) Alice's death certificate (from the USA) states that her maiden name was Alice Conlin, parents Michael Conlin and Alice Farrelly and that she was born in "County Caren" Ireland, which obviously does not exist. (I wonder if it could have been a poor reading of Cavan ?)

I recently found in a microfilm of the marriage indexes that Michael Ruddy and Alice Conlan were married in the second quarter of 1878 in Drogheda. Perhaps this means that Alice Conlan had re-located to Drogheda at this time ? I do see others with the name of Conlan in Drogheda in this index.

My question is this. Does someone know these names in Drogheda ? I have been able to go back another generation for the Ruddy family, but I am blocked completely with the Conlan name. If anyone has ideas of other places that I could search, I would welcome the suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Beth

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ruddy and Conlan in Drogheda
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 07 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth and welcome to RootsChat.
In case you have not seen it, here is link to wonderful site for Louth. There is also a search feature and you might want to try the spelling variations.
http://www.jbhall.freeservers.com/index.htm
Good luck,
Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline BethW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 December 07 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

Thanks for your response. I am familiar with this website and I agree that it is a wonderful resource. I'll continue to search.

Beth

Offline Jackie Remes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hello I'm new to this too and do not know where to begin,
My Grandma was Gertrude CONLAN, but apart from finding her at the age of 16, in kingsCo, ( now Co Offlay), I can not trace her birth or parentage, I seem to recall her Mother being Alice and I know there was a James and a Patrick,
Just wondered if there was a link to my CONLAN  and yours??

Many thanks Jackie.