Author Topic: DOWZARD  (Read 23105 times)

Offline Kayler

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DOWZARD
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Jimbo09 and Kooky,
I have been reading with interest the Dowzard conversations between you both and I would like to tell you what I know of Dowzard Family History. I am also doing Family History that includes Dowzard names which are part of my Dowzer Research which I have done over many visits to Ireland. Firstly, the name Dowzard is a corruption of the correct name Dowzer,  due to the incorrect spelling entered in the Parish Registers that I have viewed in Ireland. The Kilpipe Parish in County Wicklow was the greatest perpetrator of the misspelling and the Dowzard Families you are connected to in Dublin originated from that Parish. The Clerks of the Church made many errors throughout the Kilpipe Register and I have noted Families of up to 15 children written in the Register with both Dowzer/Dowser and Dowzard spelling with the same set of Parents. Kooky I read where you mention that one certificate you have has the name Dowser, that is the closest spelling to Dowzer, rather than Dowzard which is wrong.
The earliest known misspelling of the name occurred in 1761 in Kilpipe  with a tombstone in 1761 with the name of Charles Dousard . My research has proof that Charles Dousard was in fact Charles Dowzer who came from Yorkshire to Ireland with several other Dowzer men in 1713 to work on Earl Fitzwilliam's Estate. Charles Dowzer lived and worked as a Farmer and Shopkeeper up until he died and was buried in Kilpipe Church Cemetery with the incorrect spelling of his name and I have the records to prove this. Over the years that same Parish got the spelling wrong due to the illiteracy of the day but at the time of the Griffith Valuations done from 1848 to 1864 there were no Dowzards living in Ireland, they all knew how they spelt their correct name of Dowzer. I have records of the Edward Dowzard Families who were living in Dublin and the 3 Mary Ann's you mention. Jimbo you wondered who Edward Dowzard the Policeman is. He was born born Edward Dowzer on the 26th November 1856 in Kilpipe Parish, County Wicklow to George and Margaret Dowzer. George Dowzer was farmer and Tailor in Kilavaney, Kilpipe Parish, County Wicklow and they had 7 children. The problem in the days when names were being registered, they were written by people who wrote how they heard it and as there were not many Dowzards in the 1901 and 1911 Census, you must have wondered why so few, if you look at the name Dowzer you will find the remainder of Families with the correct spelling who are connected to them. Often when a name was spelt incorrectly on official documents, people felt that they had to perpetuate the error, or just did not know what had been written, they probably never saw a Parish Register or a certificate as we do now. I will be interested to read your comments.

Offline MykeJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Kayler,
Not sure if you are still on the site, but interested in your research on "Charles Dowzer who came from Yorkshire to Ireland with several other Dowzer men in 1713 to work on Earl Fitzwilliam's Estate." I am writing for my partner Margy Dowzer who has been researching her roots, and we are in Ireland this week, and discovered Michael Dowzer, her great-great-great grandfather lived and worked on the Fitzwilliam Estate.  He was born 1769 and died Nov 9 1859 in Laragh House, Mullinacuffe.  His son Michael emigrated to Canada with wife and nine children in 1849.
Would love to connect about your research!

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 22 June 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Myke,

I am very sorry but we have sadly lost contact with Kayler, the email address that they registered with has sadly returned your new reply.

I have tried to get a message to kayler via a cousin but have not yet had any reply.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MykeJohnson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 22 June 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 26 June 15 08:30 BST (UK) »

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 28 June 15 09:06 BST (UK) »
Dowzard Elizabeth
4th March 1932 probate of the Will
died 25th Dec 1931 Widows House ,182 James St,executor Annie Reeves a widow.
you can order a copy here   search archives
http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Frederick Hurley - Great Grandfather-in-Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 03 April 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
He recalls that an Aunt came some years later... to Melbourne.  He never met her but thinks
it was Katherine.

I have picked up the thread again, and found a "Kathleen" Dowzard travelling to Aus, and living in Fawkner Vic in the 20s. (various records still to be explored)
I have also found a Kathleen Widdy, described as dau of Dowzard, who d. 28 Aug 1973 Brighton Melbourne. Various  online trees show her as dau of Edward Dowzard and Mary O'Grady, married to Arthur Leslie Widdy, and with a DOB of 1895 (about three years after the baptism record!).
So I think this must be Katherine Dowzard, sister to Elizabeth, Susan, Edward and Annie.
Dowzard, Hurley, Johnston, Cleland, Sillery, Hanbury, Sparrow, Parker, Hall

Offline Dubzard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 13 April 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am the gt gt granddaughter of Edward dowzard and Mary Anne cotterhill. Their daughter Eileen was my fathers mother. Do you have any more information, I believe he was a police man in Dublin harbor

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 13 April 19 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am the gt gt granddaughter of Edward dowzard and Mary Anne cotterhill. Their daughter Eileen was my fathers mother. Do you have any more information, I believe he was a police man in Dublin harbor

When?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.