Author Topic: A bit of a weird one  (Read 3685 times)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a weird one
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 December 07 16:32 GMT (UK) »
'non immigrant alien' means someone who is not intending to stay in the US and become a resident/citizen.  Or someone who at least said that! :D People just visiting relatives or on business trips, for example.

David Curie and Hugh are both listed as engineers and non-immigrants, heading to Glasgow and 'T' is marked in the far left hand column which might mean 'transit' - i.e., they were only stopping over (I think on the way back to visit Scotland?).  They are in the saloon/first class section of the manifest - fancy! That would also explain why no address in the US is given - they probably changed ships at NY and didn't stay more than a day or so.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 December 07 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jorose, I didn't know where to start, this is great.

I've had a lok around for the next step in the journey back to Glasgow but cannot find it - any clues on that one?

Or where would have records for the original, possibly 'direct' journey to Mexico?
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 December 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline CelticMom

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 December 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
just looked at the actual image and it looks liek they were in the steerage and next to their names is Hamilton, Ontario. Perhaps this was their final destination?
Anderson & Marr - Midlothian & East Lothian
Bennett - Devonport
Catleugh & Shiells - East Lothian
Galvin, McLaren, Cullen & Dowling - Waterford, Ireland
Littlejohns - Plymouth & London
Mansfield - Benfleet & St Pancras
Michelin - London
Newlands - Midlothian & Fife
Paterson - Canongate, Midlothian
Rutherford and Johnston - Roxburghshire
Taylor - East Lothian & Berwickshire
Thomson - Leith & Muthill
Thorney, Hawkin, Lewis - Herefordshire
Small & Paulin - Northumberland
Varrall - Kent

Offline elsiegee1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 December 07 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks fieryfemale,
The only thing that worries me about these entries is the ages, as I mentioned earlier, but it looks too much of a coincidence not to be them. I wonder if they could've got a ship from Canada to Mexico after that? That would explain why, later on, Hugh said it was his first trip to US, if he missed it out altogether on the way down?

Jorose, to go from steerage to first class in 2 yrs may surely mean the gold mine theory has some credit to it?
Gillan (Glasgow, Ireland & Devon), Smith (Coventry & Plymouth), Rice (Coventry & Birmingham), Henchcliffe (Derby, Stoke, Coventry), Randle (Coventry)