Author Topic: Janey Smith nee Holdsworth (photo ID) *Completed*  (Read 5459 times)

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Janey Smith nee Holdsworth (photo ID) *Completed*
« on: Sunday 30 December 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can identify the people in this photo.  Janey Smith nee Holdsworth (Mother) is a member of my Holdworth line from the Idle/Pudsey/Bradford area.  She is pictured in this photo with her children James & Doreen, the baby.  I have living relatives who recognised Janey and grew up with her as part of the family when they were all children, but they do not know who Janey descended from and I can't find her on any census documents.

Baby Doreen was born around 1920 my relatives believe and James was 6 or 7 years older.  This is all I know!!!!  Any help gratefully received.

To all reading this post, I'd like to wish you all a happy new year!!

Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janey Smith nee Holdsworth (photo ID)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 07 12:53 GMT (UK) »
There is a Jane Holdsworth marrying an Albert Driver Smith in Q4 of 1900 in Bradford. I don't know if this might be too early??

Can you get hold of the birth cert for either James or Doreen to get more details on their father?
BOYD (../Croydon/Frederick G b 1892, Silas b 1859&15);   
DIXON  (LIN/Barton on Humber/Alice b 1884, John b1857, Richard b 1819);   
MCDONNELL  (YKS/Leeds, Kingston Upon Hull/Peter b 1842, Edward b 1883);   
MURDY  (DUR/Hetton, Hough'n L S, Lambton, Sunderland/Thomas b1822, William H A b 1869);   
PALFREY  (LND/Paddington/Linda M b1885);   
TAYLOR  (NBL/Ellingham/Jonathan b1841, Moses b 1800, John

Offline GlitteringPrize

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 December 07 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Jane Holdsworth b 1880 Bingley Yorks, living in Bradford in 1891...others on page...
RG12; Piece: 3625; Folio 7; Page 8

Alice Holdsworth 16  
Jane Holdsworth 11 
John Holdsworth 55 
Lucy Holdsworth 53 
Rose Holdsworth 22 
Sarah Ellen Holdsworth 26 

This is an interesting one....

1901 census - Baildon Yorks
RG13; Piece: 4067; Folio: 110; Page: 47.

People on census...

Albert E Bowater 29 
Alice Bowater 26    (Nee Holdsworth maybe??)
Sarah E Holdsworth 34 
Jane Smith 21 

Jane Smith, listed as sister to head of household.

Dunno if this is any good??
BOYD (../Croydon/Frederick G b 1892, Silas b 1859&15);   
DIXON  (LIN/Barton on Humber/Alice b 1884, John b1857, Richard b 1819);   
MCDONNELL  (YKS/Leeds, Kingston Upon Hull/Peter b 1842, Edward b 1883);   
MURDY  (DUR/Hetton, Hough'n L S, Lambton, Sunderland/Thomas b1822, William H A b 1869);   
PALFREY  (LND/Paddington/Linda M b1885);   
TAYLOR  (NBL/Ellingham/Jonathan b1841, Moses b 1800, John

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 07 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks for these leads.  The most common names in the whole of the North of England must be these 2, Smith and Holdsworth I think.

I have checked my emails from my cousins and they think that Doreen was probably born more around the mid-1920s as one of them has  remembered now that Doreen was about 7 years older than her.

I know that looks can be misleading, but Janey doesn't look much older than 20 - 23 in this photo to me.  What do you think?

Kind regards,
Jill

PS It's already 2008 where I am, so Happy New Year!!!!
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 January 08 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

If young James is 6/7 in the photo, I would think Janey is older than 20. I guess she could have had him at 16/17 but surely not much younger than that. She does look young - so perhaps she is around 23-25

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 08 05:07 GMT (UK) »
Yes of course you're right Trish, but I guess my point was that, if Doreen was born in the mid 1920s I dont' think that Janey would have been 21 in the 1901 census as Glitteringprize's research shows .  That would have made her around 45 in the photo, which I'm sure she isn't.

So we keep on digging!  Thanks for your input into this, I appreciate all the help and am chasing it up.
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 08 05:30 GMT (UK) »
It's a wonderful photo - is it possible young James served in WWII - he would be about the right age - In Australia I could instantly check, I'm not sure how you track this in England.

Perhaps the 1911 Census (next year  :) ) may help to find Janey. Looking for the birth of a James Smith, c. 1920 seems scarry. (Probably looking for a war service record won't be much better)

Trish

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 08 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish,

It is a lovely photo, thanks, I love it.  I'm pleased to hear that the 1911 census comes out next year, that will help me clear up a few things I think.

I met a first cousin of my Dad's on Ancestry, her Dad was the same age as my Grandad and she is my age, being that generation closer has meant that she has more of the inside gossip to bring to the table on this.  Our common ancestors are CH Holdsworth and Betsy Holmes, her great grandparents and my gt gt grandparents.  She had a James Holdworth attached to CH Holdsworth in her family tree, as one of his children and I queried the entry with her, because I couldn't track him at all.  She is sure she's correct with this assumption, but her evidence is only anecdotal, we can't confirm it with documentation.  The 1911 census will give us clarity on this, because I found out that CH Holdsworth was remarried (when betsey died at 34 years) to a Harriet Pemberton when their respective children were small.  Harriet had a son called James Pemberton (her maiden name) Wade and I am wondering if this James  might have taken the name Holdsworth and that he might be Janey's father.  It's a long shot though!

Looking for a James Smith is like looking for a needle in a haystack, I'm afraid.

I too live in Australia! It's a world away from where all this data is kept, but I am going over to England to meet up with my cousin later this year and we'll try and sort out the puzzle then I think.

Cheers,
Jill

Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 January 08 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget to come back with the end of the story - when you find it  :)  & have a wonderful trip. We hope to get there eventually for a "records centre" tour of England, Scotland & Ireland - having not yet found any family who came from Wales  :)

Trish