Author Topic: St Michaels Dumfries MIs  (Read 20019 times)

Offline littleprince

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St Michaels Dumfries MIs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 September 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian and Helen

I am descended from Margaret Neisham, Grace and Thomas`s sister. Margaret`s daughter Elizabeth ( twin of Thomas) is my great grandmother. I have done quite a lot of research on the Neisham line and have also managed to find several other people in England and New Zealand descended from George Neisham and Margaret Adamson.

If I can be of any help just e-mail me, i would love to hear from you. I also live in Dumfries.

regards Gillian
Saunderson- Dumfries, Edinburgh & South Africa
McClure, Neisham, Walls, Beck- Dumfries
Nicholson, Scott - Berwick upon Tweed
Ross- Dumfries, Peebles
McDonnell - Ireland, Co Durham
McGuire - Ireland, Co Durham

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:09 BST (UK) »
oops... making mistakes here...

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
You are right, it is Adamson.... small child tugging round my ankles yesterday when I wrote it so brain wasnt fully switched on, I've edited it now :)

Its great to find so many descendants of George and Margaret.   ;D

Elizabeth Douglas/Neisham is my G.G. Granny so Gillian and I are relatively closely related ;)

Helen... I was the other way around I was looking for a Douglas family for ages and could not decifer the surname that turned out to be Neisham :D

Ian - I wonder if Margaret Adamson/Neisham actually had a headstone if its not in the 1876 transcriptions? I recently wasnt happy when my Mum admitted we hadnt put up a headstone for my G. Granny, so its very possible that there wasnt one in the first place.

I would love to find George Neisham's grave as the trail seems to run cold from him. But I am still finding out interesting things about him such as his peninsular war medal was sold at auction in London in 1950.... anyone know any more??

This thread has made me ;D ;D ;D

Tracey (also a doonhamer but currently exiled)

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle

What war medal did George Neisham have as on Margarets death cert it says he was an officer of the burgh I have emailed Rev Bond of the church to ask him if he can tell us where the plot is that Margaret and george are buried as soon as I have had a reply I will let you know and if he says where I will go and have a look as I only live 5 mins away from the church
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 September 08 13:52 BST (UK) »
Helen - Thats brilliant, fingers crossed theres a record of her grave :)

George served in the peninsular war as a corporal with the 94th foot (later merged with the Connaught Rangers) and was awarded the general military service medal years later (many men didnt live long enough to claim their medal in 1848) with three bars. I will happily email you all the details I have so far.

And yes he was a Burgh officer, but I've not found any definitive records to define what his role was, I think it may have been a bit like a modern day special constable, but thats more supposition on bits and bobs I have read up on than hard proof.

Tx

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 September 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the inscriptions if I can be of help.   Let me know who you are looking for and I will look it up for you.   The inscriptions were published in a book many years ago.

Hi tika.
One wonders "if: that offer may be taken up??????

I am after information (Head Stone Inscriptions) on Margaret Holmes Beattie & her husband William Pyle.
They are both buried there.
Dates of death are :-
William ---1953          DOB:- C:-1904 ?
Margaret ---1961       DOB -C:-1907 ?

I live in hope

Baldy (au)
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline ILM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 September 08 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all - especially in this case Gillian.

Firstly, there's some really interesting info appearing on this thread - so glad to have stumbled upon it!

Gillian - I notice you have both Neishams and McClures in your list of interests.  I also have both, in a slightly complicated way.   This is difficult to explain, but if there is any cross-over, this may be comprehensible tp you, and you may have more information.  Bear in mind that my name is Ian MILLAR...

George Neisham and Margaret Adamson had a son, John Neisham, who married Helen MILLER (daughter of James MILLER and Mary McClellan).  George is my GGG grandfather on my MOTHER'S side.  James Miller and Mary McClellan are my GGGG grandparents on my FATHER's side.

James MILLER and Mary McClellan had another daughter, Jane.  Between 1860 and 1870, various Neishams and MILLERs lived at the same address in St Michael Street.  Jane MILLER had an illegitimate daughter, named Mary Anne Cassells.   In 1865, the Neisham/Millers at the same address named their new-born child after her - Mary Anne Cassells Neisham.

Mary Anne Cassells had an illegitimate son with Charles McCLURE, then died, aged 21, in 1866.  Charles went on to marry another woman, then died, I think shortly before his father drowned in the Nith.  Charles's mother was a Bogie, descended from the Bogie gardeners who were acquainted with Robert Burns, etc. etc.

ANYWAY - the son of Mary Ann Cassells and Charles McClure was my great-grandfather.  Not surprisingly, he was not sure what to call himself - he appears as James Miller or James Carter (he was brought up by his grandmother, who remarried).  Also, James Cassells, James Carter-Miller, James Miller-Cassells.  For whatever reason, we ended up as Millers / Millars.

I should REALLY be a McClure, as far as I can tell.  And my mother is descended from the Neishams, who are the real subject of this thread.

Even I am confuse now javascript:replaceText('%20???',%20document.postmodify.message);

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 September 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Good morning Tika, can I ask you if there are any Ker or Kerrs inscriptions in St. Michaels. Much obliged if you can help, regards stoop.

Offline Helenmur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 September 08 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Stoop

I am going to the library this week they have a record of inscriptions for st michaels I will have a look for you

Helen
Reid, Kirknewton,Kirkliston,Winchbrugh
Skachill, Roscommon,Galway
Gratten, Roscommon,Galway
Crow,Kirkliston,Illinois,Arizona,Los Angles
Shields Fife,Canada