Author Topic: Mystery Martha from Shipham  (Read 9863 times)

Offline mstock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Martha from Shipham
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 January 11 17:51 GMT (UK) »
I was actually born in Shipham, last of the Stocks (sounds like a good title for a movie). My Great Grandfather was born in Roberrow.

My grandfather moved back to Shipham in the 60s, he died and my father inherited the house and moved there. My father died a few years ago and now no-one from the family is there now. He did do some extensive family digging in the 70s-80s and came up with detailed lists (all in his writing unfortunately). There was a Farmer Venn who was married to a Martha but that was in the early 1800s, I have not had time to go through his lists but am happy to try to scan and send to anyone.

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 January 11 18:46 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting. I have a Venn family in my family tree, on the Cheddar side of things.....married a Tripp. I've gone back to 1773 with my Venn name but no sign of any links with Stock that I can see.
Carey or Carrey (Lanarkshire, Galloway, ?Ireland)
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Wilson (Cumbria, Northumberland)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
James (Bradford on Avon and Cardiff)
Green (Bradford on Avon)
Tripp (Cheddar and Shipham, Somerset)

Offline mstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

My father went back to 1560s, lots of marrages to Venns, Tripps, Athay, Wookey and Hares. Will have to sit down and go through his lists properly.

There were Tripps and Hares in Shipham when I was growing up and of course in Cheddar there is a road called Venns Gate.
A Joane Stock married a Trypp (must mean Tripp) in 1582.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 January 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi mstock

I have a Cornelius Day in my tree 4 x GreatGrandfather, his parents have been difficult to nail down but might be John Day who married Elizabeth Stock b1742 Shipham in 1761.

If and when you look through your lists if there any DAY people who crop up could you pass that on. I would be very grateful.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 January 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I know Venn's Gate well.....I'm a Cheddar-ite.  Had Hares' surnames amongst people I went to school with. And dont get started on the Day families in Cheddar and Axbridge  ;D they're all over the place and I've got lots of them as well!
Better start another thread at that rate! :)
Must confess I havent done much work on trees, of late....but always happy to try and help with anything relevant.
Carey or Carrey (Lanarkshire, Galloway, ?Ireland)
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Wilson (Cumbria, Northumberland)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
James (Bradford on Avon and Cardiff)
Green (Bradford on Avon)
Tripp (Cheddar and Shipham, Somerset)

Offline mstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Found John Day Oct 19th 1761. Also Fredrick Day married Anne Stock April 11th 1834, Harriot Day married John Stock Aug 10th 1850

Offline cstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello MStock-

My Stock line is also from Shipham. I'd be interested to see your tree, and would reciprocate. I also have Ancestry.com DNA testing available to share. I think that Ann Stock who married Frederick Day is in my line - my ggg-gf's sister. Here is the will of her father:

This will was on record in Bristol, England. It escaped
the destruction caused by the German bombing of Bristol duringWorld War II because it had been transferred to the Somersetshire county seat of Taunton. Historians had requested its transfer to
faunton because it was considered an excellent example of a small
landowner's (yeoman's) will.

WILL OF SILVANUS STOCK 27TH OCTOBER 1835
Appeared personally Joseph Stock, Yeoman and Harriet Stock, Spinster, both of the Parish of Shipham in the county of Somerset, the executors named in the last will and testament of the said Silvanus Stock, late of the said parish of Shipham aforesaid farmer who died on the seventeenth day of July 1835 and made oath and said-­
UNDER THE VALUE OF 200 POUNDS

This is the last will and testament of me Silvanus Stock, farmer of the Parish of Shipham in the county of Somerset, being sick of body, but perfect sound mind, memory and understanding, knowing that it is appointed
unto all men once to die do make this my last will and testament revoking all other wills in manner and form following:
First I give, bequeath and devise to my beloved wife
Elizabeth Stock all my lands to have and to hold the same for her natural life provided she do not marry again and if in case she should marry again then the same to be forfeited the same as at her death, also all my household furniture, money, calamine goods and chattels I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Elizabeth Stock before said.
Next I give, bequeath and devise to my son Joseph Stock a piece of land called Yarley in the Parish of Shipham.
I also give, bequeath and devise to my son John Stock a piece of land called Vardels at Sideott in the Parish of Winscombe.
I also give, bequeath and devise to my daughters Harriet Stock, Sarah Stock and Rebecca Stock two pieces of land called Pope Mead and Brimeredge situate at Green Rill in the Parish of Winscombe .at equal shares alike.
I also give, bequeath and devise to my daughter Ann Stock a piece of land called Moorfield adjoining Church Lane in the Parish of Winscombe before said and if either of the above named children should die with­out issue his or her part should be gave back to the remaining children at equal shares alike.
I also make, nominate, and appoint my son and daughter, Joseph Stock and Harriet Stock to be my whole and sole executors in witness whereof I do hereunto set my hand and seal this 10th day of December 1834 --the mark of Silvanus Stock (Seal)
Signed, sealed, and delivered, published,
pronounced, and declared in the presence
of us and the presence of the Testator,
Silvanus Stock as his last will and testament
George Hall Eastmead

William Clark

Sarah Clark

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mstock I shall have to see if those other dates fit in with what I have.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline stockaaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 16 January 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I'm wondering if these stocks are related to me.

Please see my first post for information of my ggg-grandfather Samuel Stock.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763170.msg6147377#msg6147377