Author Topic: Desperately seeking Patrick (again)  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately seeking Patrick (again)
« on: Wednesday 02 January 08 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Discovered in December that the Patrick Ryan I thought was my g/granddad was two separate people  :-\(same name) living as close neighbours. I only have my Patrick for 3 years (remarrying in 1891) and disappearing again  :( in 1894. I've also just discovered two more Patricks of the right age (b.1847)  :) getting married, both in Tipperary in c.1872. The two spouses are Bridget McDonnell (with 2 children) & Catherine Cooke (with 3 children). Can anybody help with any further information on these two. If either of these two had a dad called William that would be a great start. Thanks, Alan.
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Patrick (again)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 18:47 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificates should list the grooms' fathers and their occupations.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Happy new year to my favorite rootschatter Aghadowey, I'm still hopefull that the other Patrick that you originally helped me find, is a cousin of my g/granddad.                                                                                                    The 2 marriages mentioned above are the most promising from a list of 20 which would be a bit expensive if I had to get all or most the certs. Obviously at some point I'll need to buy some but I thought there maybe somebody out there with a source of information that I haven't discovered yet (i.e. the mysterious legend of the "letter of freedom")........Incidently where do we get the Irish certs from ?  :) Alan. 
RYAN-Atkinson-Mallison-elsworth-Widdowson-Davis-Threapleton-Bolderson-Sagar.. IRELAND-Bradford-Bingley-Fewston-Barnsley-Ecclesfield-Doncaster-Wakefield-Kendal

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello again.
Before getting the marriage certificates (as there are so many choices) I would look at LDS catalogue to see if the church records have been microfilmed as you could check for lots of possible relatives at the same time.

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot, yet again. I'm still not up to scratch with all aspects of the LDS stuff but I'm getting there thanks to your past help. I'm actually still waiting for the Tullamore register to arrive which may still be helpfull if the two Patricks were related and I'll be picking their (the librarians or whatever their titles) brains when I get there. In the meantime I'll take a look at the catalogue as you suggest. Alan. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 20:06 GMT (UK) »
It's possible that your local LDS library staff/volunteers will not know much about Irish research but should be able to help find what microfilms are available and how to order them.

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Ta  :)  ;)  8)  :-*

Offline Puck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 January 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
On browsing this post and others in the hope of finding inspiriation as to the birthplace of "Patrick Ryan".  I came across your "Desperately seeking Patrick again) and you sound very experienced.  Can I ask that as you trawl for your Patrick if you find one whose Father was James a Shoemaker you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction.

I have a death, a marriage in 1882 (he was also a Widower when he married Elizabeth Hooper) but no Birth the only reason I know his Father was James it was on his 2nd marriage certificate.  I have no details of the first marriage.

If there are any details I can bear in mind for yourself when I am searching please let me know.

Puck.

Offline Alan Ryan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 January 08 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Puck, I've just sent you a P.M. Alan. ;D