Author Topic: CORNWELL from Bottisham  (Read 62444 times)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CORNWELL from Bottisham
« Reply #36 on: Monday 23 April 12 03:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,

I believe that you were interested in the birthdates of the children of George Cornwell and Mary Morley.  In 1971, I went to Bottisham Lode and the Vicar at the time allowed me to look at the parish records of Bottisham and also Lode, Bottisham.  I am the descendant of Holmes Cornwell and Elizabeth Day.  I copied all the Cornwell references in order to find my relatives. 

My records from the original records of Bottisham, Cambridgeshire state the following baptismal dates for chidren of George and Mary Ann Cornwell:  Sept. 5, 1875 for George William; Jan. 7, 1877 for David; Apr. 21, 1878 for Alice Mary; Jan. 22, 1880 for Frederick; Feb. 6, 1881 for Arthur Frederick; Mar. 4, 1883 for Robert Oliver; Mar. 7, 1886 for Ada May; Oct 2, 1889 for Kate; Apr. 21, 1889 for Ernest ( It is noted that they are both 1889); Dec. 7, 1890 for Lottie Maud; June 12, 1892 for Stanley; Feb. 11, 1894 for Frank Motley (born Dec. 20, 1893); Dec. 25, 1899 for Alice (born Oct. 3, 1898); Oct. 7, 1900 for Algeron (born Apr. 26, 1900) and Feb. 21, 1903 for Bertie Rose.

The marriage record is in Bottisham, Cambrigeshire was Mar. 4, 1875 between George Cornwell age 21 and son of Isaac Cornwell and Mary Ann Morley age 18, daughter of William Morley.  The marriage of Arthur Frederick Cornwell age 19, son of George Cornwell and Lucy Jane Hiner, age 17, and daughter of Robert Hiner was on July 28, 1900.  The marriage of Robert Oliver Cornwell, age 21, son of George Cornwell and Alice Mary Ris, age 24, daughter of John Ris was on Sept. 2, 1903. 

Burial records of Bottisham  show Frederick Cornwell buried Nov. 9, 1880, age 1 year, residence Bottisham.

Baptism records of Bottisham also show Sept. 21, 1902 for Arthur Robert Cornwell, son of Arthur Frederick and Lucy Jane Cornwell, May 16, 1904 for Geneva Annie, daughter of Arthur Frederick and Lucy Jane Cornwell, and Dec. 8, 1935 for Anthony Bujan, son of Stanley and Ada Florence Cornwell.

Do you know the name of the parents of Isaac Cornwell?

Looking forward to hearing from you.  I am always interested in completing the Cornwell family history.

Karen.

Offline Mr.Blueyezz

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Travers Cornwell VC (My 1st Cousin 2xremoved)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 23 April 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi KarenRuth

I am descendant of Holmes Cornwell aswell.
My Grandfather`s family are all originally from Bottisham.

My Great Grandfather Absolom Cornwell was John Travers Cornwell VC Uncle.

Carter,Cornwell,Smith,Palmer,Phibben,Bottisham Lode,Baldock,Cambridgeshire,Fulbourn,Merthyr Tydfil,Abercwmboi,Aberdare,Soham,Suffolk,Steeple Morden,Guilden Morden,Cambridge,South Cadbury,Castle Camps,The Fens,Plantagent Royal Family

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
Dear acr8574

I am happy to be in contact with another descendant of Holmes Cornwell and Elizabeth Day.  I am descended from their son, John Day Cornwell, and Sarah West.
John Day and Sarah (West) Cornwell had a son, George Cornwell, baptized Mar. 26, 1820 in Bottisham Lode, Camb.  George Cornwell married Harriet Beard on Sept. 22, 1842 in Bottisham Lode, Camb.  Harriet Beard, baptized Mar. 3, 1822 in Bottisham Lode, Camb., was the daughter of Matthew and Ann (Hancock) Beard.  George and Harriet (Beard) Cornwell had a son, Walter Cornwell.  Walter Cornwell, born Nov. 9, 1842 Bottisham Lode, Camb., came to America.  He married Mary Anna Long, born Dec. 18, 1846 in Hook, Chardstock, Dorset, Eng.  Walter and Mary Anna (Long) Cornwell were my great great grandparents.  I live in the Kansas City area of Kansas, United States.

I would like to know how Absalom Cornwell fits into the family.  I am also interested in the predecessors of Holmes Cornwell and Elizabeth Day.

In 1981, I published a book, "The Cornwell Family History: In England and the United States."  I hand carried a copy to the Society of Genealogists in London.  Since then, I have been in contact with our relatives in Australia and other relatives in England.

Do you live in England, the United States or Australia?

Your cousin, Karen

Offline Mr.Blueyezz

• RootsChat Extra
  • John Travers Cornwell VC (My 1st Cousin 2xremoved)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

I'm in England,my Mother was a Cornwell before she married my Father.
Holmes Cornwell born in 1764 is my 4 x Great Grandfather.

My Grandfather was Albert E Cornwell born 1899 and his Father was Absolom Cornwell.

You said you wrote a book,is it available here in the UK?

Finally I get to chat to one of my distant relatives! :)

If you would like to send me a private message we could exchange email addresses and stay in touch.

Regards

Andrew
Carter,Cornwell,Smith,Palmer,Phibben,Bottisham Lode,Baldock,Cambridgeshire,Fulbourn,Merthyr Tydfil,Abercwmboi,Aberdare,Soham,Suffolk,Steeple Morden,Guilden Morden,Cambridge,South Cadbury,Castle Camps,The Fens,Plantagent Royal Family

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen, Yet another cousin in contact :) You asked the parents of Isaac Cornwell, Isaac (b1886 Lode) was the son of Israel Cornwell(b1862 Lode) and Elizabeth(b1861). Israel was the son of Charles Cornwell and Emma Hancock, and the grandson of Phillip Cornwell and Ann Ayres. Ann was the daughter of my 3XGG parents , John Ayres and Susannah Webb, who have been mentioned before in this thread. I also have another Isaac Cornwell (b1817 Bottisham) but have no information on file about his antecedents, I believe his age was taken from the census. If I can help further please let me know. My grandfather Samuel Ayres (b1868) was the first cousin of Jack Cornwell VC.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 22:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Redroger,

I am so glad that you have responded to my posting.  I noted that you stated on March 9, 2012 that you were descended from William Cornwell and Elizabeth Holmes both born around 1725.  I asked about the parents of Isaac Cornwell because I was trying to link him to my predecessor, Holmes Cornwell, who married Elizabeth Day on July 11, 1786 in Bottisham Lode, Camb.  I would like to trace back my Holmes Cornwell but I have run into a roadblock that perhaps you can help me with.  The Holmes Cornwell that married Elizabeth Day had a will proved by his son, John Cornwell, on Sept. 23, 1837.  This will was on page 335 of Liber O of the Consistory Court of Ely.  This meant to me that Holmes Cornwell was deceased by Sept. 23, 1837.  However, there was also a Holmes Cornwell that died in June, 1840 in Newmarket, Camb.--this is per "Geni" on a computer search.  This means there were at least two Holmes Cornwell's in the same period.  It is tempting to believe that the Holmes Cornwell baptized on Jan. 29, 1764 at St. Andrew the Less, Camb., son of William and Elizabeth Cornwell is the Holmes Cornwell that married Elizabeth Day, but I do not know how to prove it.  In addition, there is a William Cornwell that married Elizabeth Holmes on Apr. 1, 1754  at St. Vigor, Fulborn.  Since the maiden name of Elizabeth Holmes is Holmes, it is likely that she named her son, Holmes, but again it could be Holmes deceased by 1837 or Holmes deceased by 1840.  To complicate matters more, there was a William Cornwell of Fulbourn that married Elizabeth Tyrrel at St. Andrew the Great in 1756--another possible set of parents for either Holmes,d. 1837 or Holmes, d. 1840.

To respond to arc8574:  The book I wrote should be available in the Society of Genealogists in London since I gave them a copy.  Otherwise the only way to get access to the book is to purchase a book from me.  I will try to send you a private message with more information.

I have alot of information about Phillip Cornwell, d. Nov. 25, 1888, and Ann Ayres ( married June 16, 1822, Bottisham Lode, Camb.)  I do not know how or if Phillip is related to Holmes Cornwell that married Elizabeth Day.  Their children, John, baptized Mar. 24, 1869; Emma, baptized Mar. 30, 1828; William, baptized July 25, 1830; Charles baptized Feb. 19, 1837; Elijah, baptized Feb. 19, 1837; Ellis baptized Feb. 19, 1837 and Levi born (not baptized) about 1829.  I could provide more information, but you may already have it all.  I got this information by looking at the Bottisham church records.  I do have that Israel, (son of Charles Cornwell, widow, age 24, and Emma Hancock, age 21, married Oct. 30, 1857) was baptized May 4, 1873 along with two siblings.  Israel, age 24, married Elizabeth Mayes, age 25, on Sept. 19, 1885 in Bottisham Lode. 

I hope that you will be able to help me trace the parents of Holmes Cornwell, that married Elizabeth Day. 

Karen

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:20 BST (UK) »
Karen, I have sent you a personal message giving some details. Hope the system works and you are allowed to receive them after three postings.If you can pm or email me the information about Phillip's descendants I would be very grateful. Interested in a copy of your book too please!

There are so many of us on this site all researching the same families in the vicinity of Cambridge that I think it might be worthwhile if we collaborated formally or informally to try to make the information more easily available and to avoid duplication of effort, or is someone already doing this? What do others think?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 25 April 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Checking that information I found I have Levi born 30 March 1828. I think the multiple baptisms and the absence of a baptism for Levi might be related to the fact that some of the extended family, including my own part were Baptists, who only perform adult baptisms by total immersion. Possibly this part of the family were uncertain as to which persuasion to follow, and changed to Cof E and had their children baptised as a batch.Which 2 of his siblings were baptised with Israel please?

Offline arthur1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 26 April 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen

i am wondering if my line of cornwells is in your line William Cornwell married Alice Hunt they are my 3x grt grand parents. They had eight children one of them Elisheba born 1834 Married William Webb ( my direct line )
do you have these Cornwells in your line. By the way I still live in Lode

Paul
Bottisham/Lode, Australia Webbs