Author Topic: Any idea of a date??  (Read 10472 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
Re: Any idea of a date??
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 January 08 01:52 GMT (UK) »
I'm thinking there is at least ten years difference in the coats. The front left seated lady's single breasted coat with high sleeves could be as early as late  1890's, note the sheen on collar and cuffs. While the standing lady far right has the newest coat. Narrower collar and double breasted, less puff on the sleeves. However, the blouse collars narrow it down considerably. I think about 1908-9. Maybe 1910, allowing for fact that mill workers living in Scotland (like any workers living in Australia) wouldn't necessarily be in the height of fashion.
Cheers,
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I finally found out who two of the ladies are  ;D

The lady in the middle at the back is Helen Dickson ('Auntie Nellie') b. about 1889, sister of my g. grandad. Her fiance died in WW1 and she never married (don't know his name) she lived in Galashiels. They were both mill workers.

Her best friend is also in the photo; Ellen Turnbull, she is at the bottom right. She also had a fiance that died in WW1 and she never married. They both lived at least until the early 1950s.

Thank goodness I managed to jog the memory of a family member at the weekend!!

And thank you all for helping me date this picture and find my missing relative ;D

Tx

Offline PaulaToo

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me 'n Gerry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Lovely of you to come back and tell us what you have found, Tx.
Thank you,
Paula
Bartlett/Henley on Thames
Caponhurst/Buckinghamshire and?
Denchfield/North Marston/Bucks
Webb/Winchester
Mathias/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
John/Pembroke/Pembroke Dock
Smith/Portsmouth/Portsea
Purchas/Bucks and?
Olliffe/Bucks

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 13:59 GMT (UK) »
What a nice group photograph showing friends/rellies who are at ease with each others company, so close that there is a reasuring touch between Nellie at the centre (back) and her associate to her left where she is holding Nellie's finger in her hand. Date wise I would go along with the 1905 to 1910 period that Gadget has suggested as even before I saw Gadgets answer to this thread my first thoughts were that this was 1905/1906 as for the looseness of the coats that some are wearing I had wondered if they were wearing ladies car coats that were popular at that time.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Rachels

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 12 March 08 17:04 GMT (UK) »
What a wonderful photograph  :)

She is very haunting - I'm sure I've seen a photo of her before:

She reminds me of the dark-haired sister in Lark Rise to Candleford

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/12_december/17/lark_hamilton_ziegler.shtml

Rachel  ;)
FOR RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 
Please do NOT use my restores without permission, unless you're the owner of the photo.  Some of my restores are on flickr.com ~ rachel sc

my computer is an iMac

BANCE, BALLINGER, CHEES(E)MAN, CONNOR, COOK, COX, CRUTCHLEY,
DAWSON, FLYNN, FOLWELL, FORGAN, FORREST, HARRIS, KING, LOOKER,
MIDGLEY, OATES, ROE, SIM(M)S, WHITTINGTON