Author Topic: Where did Olive Kay go? Help needed...  (Read 3442 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where did Olive Kay go? Help needed...
« on: Friday 18 January 08 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Sks on another list has found the marriage of my 2xggrandfather's sister:

Olive SUTCLIFFE married George KAY 9 September 1861 at St Michael's Ashton under Lyne.  His father was Samuel KAY, a watchman, her father Hargreaves SUTCLIFFE, a Salesman.  Both of them were full age, she was living at Hartshead (1861 census RG9 3000/66 Page 32) and his residence Stalybridge.  The witnesses were Sarah Ann TINKER (a relative on the SUTCLIFFE side) and James WOOD (relationship unknown, if any).  Unfortunately I don't have an occupation for George.

I have scoured the census for them in 1871 and 1881 with no luck, and tried to find a George KAY who fits in the 1861 and 1851 census records.  I've looked for a remarriage for Olive in case George died (freebmd, lancsbmd and chesbmd).  I've checked for deaths for Olive as well on the same sites.

Could someone please see if they can find them, or any ideas on where to look next? - they could have emigrated I suppose....... ???

Grateful for any help with this,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where did Olive Kay go? Help needed...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 January 08 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Purely for background info and (hopefully) to help find them in later censuses - the 1851 has Olive aged 11 but the IGI shows her born
14.6.1837 Accrington

The family were living in Matley, Mottram Cheshire but are all shown as b Lancashire 

I'm not sure about George as the only one I can find with a father Samuel who fits the possible age was b Liverpool 1837/38 but Samuel was a weigher in customs

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 08 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

freebmd has Olive Sutcliffe birth reg Dec qu 1839 Haslingden 21/400 and she's down as aged 1 on the 1841 census

Still looking for her in 1871/81 though  ???
Have looked under Clive as well as Olive as there are several indexed under that!

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 08 11:27 GMT (UK) »
No deaths for Olive Kay between 1861 and 1871 on the complete bmds. Apart from one in Keighley Yorks in 1862, which you will have seen as its also in the free bmds.

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 08 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for looking - at least I know it's not just me who can't find them!  I never thought of Clive though!

For info, previous census for Olive:

1841  HO107 506/6/49 Page 8
1851 HO107 2239/489 Page 11

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 January 08 13:21 GMT (UK) »
There seem to be a couple of male Olives too  :o :o but as they are married to women, I guess they should be Oliver. 

The family were living in Matley, Mottram Cheshire
Have you checked out Derbyshire, as Matley/Mottram area is not far off the border there? 

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,

Offline lkaynt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 July 10 14:45 BST (UK) »

Hi Jean

George Kay is my great great grandfather. He and Olive moved to Timaru, New Zealand and they had 6 children together. Olive passed away in 2nd Feb 1885 in Timaru, George went on to marry my great great grandmother Catherine Fraser and had a further 9 children.

Lisa

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 July 10 18:26 BST (UK) »
Lisa - what a wonderful surprise to hear from you!

I'd arrived at the conclusion that they must have left the country but hadn't been able to find them on any of the ship passenger lists to pinpoint where they went!

If you reply to this thread you will have 2 posts and we should be able to exchange a personal message so I can then send you my email address.  I'd love to know more about there lives in New Zealand!

Look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Jean

Offline lkaynt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 July 10 07:55 BST (UK) »

Sure, I'm still piecing together info from New Zealand but I can send you what I know :)