Author Topic: Baxter's from Westmeath  (Read 3248 times)

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Baxter's from Westmeath
« on: Monday 21 January 08 01:41 GMT (UK) »
I am at a dead-end in research on the following Baxter Family that emigrated to the U.S. in May of 1849. I have census and other records in the U.S., but have not been able to find information in Ireland.
There are two related Baxter families:
Father: Dennis Baxter, b. Abt. 1803; may have died prior to 1849.
Daughter: Elizabeth Baxter, b. abt. 1830, in Westmeath Ireland, d. 1894 in New Orleans
Father: John Baxter, b. Abt. 1804…..Spouse: Elizabeth Fitzpatrick, b. Abt. 1804
Children born in Westmeath: Michael Baxter, b. abt. 1829, Anne Baxter, b. abt. 1833, d. 1864 N.O. La., Catherine Baxter. b. abt. 1837, d. 1904 N.O. La, Mary Baxter, b. abt. 1839, Bridget Baxter, b. abt. 1845, Margaret Baxter, b. 1849 on Ship
The families lived in Brooklyn and New Orleans.
All but Dennis Baxter left Ireland in early 1849, and emigrated via Liverpool. All were RC.

If anyone has ideas on how to locate any records in County Westmeath, please let me know.
Thanks
Ron
Baxter, McGough, Ronane, McComb, Taggart

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Baxter's from Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ron,

What denomination was the Baxter family? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland) or possibly Presbyterians?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Christopher
They were Roman Catholic
Thanks
Ron

Offline boatsport

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Christopher
Until I get a chance to visit Ireland next year, I have been trying to use the Irish Family History Foundation on-Line service. Mayo and several counties are now available on-line; Westmeath is soon to be On-Line. Some (or all) RC records are included. I had some success with the Mayo Family History Centres, but do not know how many of the records are missing. I did find at least one error in the transcriptions.
My questions are:
Does anyone know how complete the RC records are at the Family History Centres?
Is it necessary to make a visit to the RC church Records Center for each county, in order to get the "most complete" set of records? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ron

Offline George E. H. Haydock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 24 10:28 GMT (UK) »

William james Haydock married Martha baxter1846 she came from Cookstown Tyrone N. Ireland they lived in Belfast i think 7 children living.

Hope this is part off your tree..

Cheers George.