Author Topic: Mysterious disappearance!  (Read 1331 times)

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Mysterious disappearance!
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 22:02 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was William Leonard Taylor born in 1887in Islington to William Joseph Taylor and Alice Emma Taylor.  Now William married Clara Beatrice Bull in 1913 in or around the Plaistow area.  William and Clara had my father Charles Horace Taylor in 1914.  I have the marriage cert.  William then left , never to be seen again.  My father searched in the UK for years and one of the reasons he brought his family to Australia was he thought his father may have come over.  We have never been able to find him. The hardest thing is to find a William Taylor.  If he dropped his middle name.  Would anyone have any knowledge on how to find a direction to go in apart from waiting for the next few census to be released?  He was not killed in the war - that I have been able to check.  Many thanks for any assistance.  Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Harris/Prince - Wiltshire
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Anderson - Ireland/Buckinghamshire
Gauron - London/France

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious disappearance!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 January 08 04:50 GMT (UK) »
W L TAYLOR
12th Bn., Middlesex Regiment
died 30 June 1916
CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Could this be him?

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 January 08 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Never mind,  :P  Just found this one in the medal cards.
Walter L Taylor
Corps: Middlesex Regiment
Regiment: 5580
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Sandra Parker

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 08 06:15 GMT (UK) »
a quick check at the Archives/Find my past shows only 1 William L Taylor  about a possible age
TAYLOR William L 33 M departed 1924 Southampton to USA New York
however there are over 1000 William Taylors, so you would really need a bit more of an idea where he would be likely to depart. There are 131 who went to Australia in a 20 year period 1913-1933.
However, you should have his age from the marriage certificate and that will certainly reduce the field quite a bit.
http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action?redef=1
What a pity his name wasn't Murgatroyd or something really unusual!
Good luck
Sandra  :)
London: Bradford, Van der Velden, Peill, Harris
Norfolk: Chilvers, Sparkes
IOW: Barton, Please, Shiner
Cheshire: Parker. Bradley, Hooley
Staffordshire: Buckley, Hargreaves

Offline nahbois

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 January 08 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janice and Sandra. 
He wasnt killed in the war.  I managed to follow that one up. Yes I wish his name was Murgatroyd!!
With William Taylor, I have found it nigh on impossible to find him.  I will certainly check the sites you have both given me.  I have his birth certificate, which I applied for so I know when he was born and will most definitely follow up on you info. Thank you both for such great leads and info. Much appreciated. Sue
Webb - Wiltshire/Kent
Harris/Prince - Wiltshire
Taylor - Islington/Essex
Bull - Shoreditch/ Essex
Anderson - Ireland/Buckinghamshire
Gauron - London/France