Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29890 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #45 on: Friday 28 February 14 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wouldn't go for the Kirklees Search all they would look at would be the council cemeteries which we have done.
For many years some of the family historians in this area have come across missing burials and we have been under the impression that they were missed of the register or there are some registers still to come to light.
I have seen a burial ground next to a chapel in Blackmoorfoot Road and on one map but there are no registers and the area as know been built on. And then you have the original Buxton Road chapel. An early local historian wrote that he remember a graveyard at the chapel but they built the road over it.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 01 March 14 00:28 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the Kirklees site and it is £30,which area does Birstall come under?Perhaps as he had connections to there and maybe family still living in that area they helped out when he died or as was mentioned,there was a family plot there.
 I will look up Edmund's siblings and see where they lived,I can't do a lot just now as my Ancestry subscription has run out but there are site some sites I can see until I renew it.There's also Halifax where he was born?
  My gran,Laura,Edmund's granddaughter would have been affronted to know about his getting on the wrong side of the law,she had a lot of good qualities but she was a terrible snob!

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 01 March 14 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Lower Wyke is in the parish of Birstall and Lightcliffe in the parish of Halifax but Lightcliffe and Lower Wyke both are near as one same area,

Brighouse, Hipperholme, Clifton, Clifton moor are in Halifax Parish
next villages Hightown, Roberttown and Cleckheaton, Liversedge and Heckmondwike are in Birstall parish

Hartshead Parish is mix villages inbetween with PR abodes on entries of parish Bapt's Marr's and Burial's as Halifax, Birstall, Dewsbury, Kirkheaton and Huddersfield parish boundaries

If you go to your nearest library which has a public computer, you can use 'Anc*stry.com' free library edition, and some [not all] main city/town libraries have free access to 'find m* past' (Ask the library staff for help)

The library USA Anc*stry.com edition seems to have a bigger database, than the UK Anc*stry .co.uk website home edition
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 01 March 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for your post,yes I know about the library having Ancestry but at the moment I'm not well so I can't get out.I'll get my subscription sorted very soon,I feel lost without it!
  With so many villages around Halifax,it's like looking for a needle in a haystack!One good thing is that my geography of Yorkshire has improved.I'll keep searching,he's got to be somewhere.

Offline sid bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone know if there was a burial ground at Buxton Road Chapel in Huddersfield?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Does anyone know if there was a burial ground at Buxton Road Chapel in Huddersfield?

No there was no burial ground at Buxton Road Chapel Huddersfield and no burial register

Scroll down the link to Huddersfield-Buxton road in the link.

http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/documents/archives/Collections%20Guide%202.pdf

(This question has been raised before because the 1851 Huddersfield town plan shows the chapel as if the roof had been cut off, with an internal plan of the chapel, showing the seatings pew positions. At first glance of the map it looks like a burial graveyard but if the St Peters church in Kirkgate is also viewed on the same map, it also has an internal plan of the church seating also with the external graveyard area just saying -Graves with no plan of the graves.)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes there were burials at Buxton Road Chapel but it was before the split and I think the books are the ones for Queens Street Chapel.
In an early History of Huddersfield the writer recalled that when he was a lad "they just laid the Chapel Hill road over the top of the graveyard."

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sid bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. That's very useful.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 10:42 GMT (UK) »
The debate on if Buxton road Chapel had a graveyard or not will go on for years but where are the records or map of it. The baptisms start 1846, and there is no sign of a grave yard on th 1851 map unless it was located elsewhere or shared with Queen street chapel graveyard & records