Author Topic: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield  (Read 29883 times)

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating a Grave in Huddersfield
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Buxton Road and Queen Street were the same chapel before they split with them building new chapels so the Buxton chapel on the maps is not the original.
I think the registers went with the Queen Street chapel and when they later surveyed the Queen Street chapel they found that the number of burials in the register out numbered the burials they had found which would mean they had be buried elsewhere.

Regards
John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sid bird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 06 November 14 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hmm. The plot thickens! Thank you

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 06 November 14 12:32 GMT (UK) »
If there is any other burial registers or memorial insriptions known about -? (from head/flat stone memorials that where taken away when they built the road ) If John does not know of them as he is the best person to know.  Then I doubt anyone will know

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 17:55 GMT (UK) »
 Hi,Dob,I feel that I owe you an apology as you did so much to try and find my grt grt grandad Edmund Wear then I stopped contacting you.I don't know how this happened,I've just come across all the info you found and I would like to continue again.
  I have Edmund's death certificate,he died on the 30 August 1876.The address is Beaumont Street,cause of death "stomach disease" which he'd had for 2 years.His son Tom was there when he died but it has that his address was Mirfield.I wondered if there was a hospital in Beaumont Street but I couldn't find any record of one.It looks like Tom,John and their mum Eliza weren't living with him.
  Going back to Edmund''s father Timothy,His wife Hannah died in 1839,Timothy move to Rotheram and remarried.He died in 1840 and is buried in Rotherham.I still haven't investigated Edmund's siblings so that's next on the list.
  I hope we can carry on searching for his grave.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I spent months 2014 looking for Edmund Wear burial place 1876 at the Huddersfield & Dewsbury libraries, WYAS archives and Kirklees council cemeteries (Kirklees council covers Huddersfield & Dewsbury towns areas including Batley) to no avail unfortunately. The census states 1861 and 1871 that Edmund was born in Halifax ? (non-conformist ?? - 2 Edmund Wear's b 1832 ish ? one Halifax and one Batley) and you say Edmund was born in Batley ? (circa b 1831 to 1833)

There were a few Beaumont Street's in Huddersfield, one near Bradford Road (Huddersfield town area) were Edmund Wear was living 1871 census, another Beaumont Street at Almondbury old bank, Moldgreen Huddersfield

There is another Beaumont st in Longwood, Huddersfield which has an old Wesleyan Methodist chapel cemetery in Longwood, Huddersfield, which I could not find any records of and Edmund could be buried there.

As for Rotherham issues of your F H - I would post for help on the Rotherham local ancestry forum websites as local folk may know more about Rotherham than a big website like this one. (also Rotherham in South Yorkshire, is 26 miles outside of my domain ancestry searching area -ie:- traveling time reduces search time.)

Dob
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 22:10 GMT (UK) »
 Wow,what can I say,you've spent so much time researching this.You say I said that Edmund was born in Batley? As far as I know he was born in Halifax but that could be wrong as I don't have all the records with me and it's hard trying to keep them all in my head.I need to go and look on my tree to see the name of Timothy's second wife but it's irrelevant,when it comes to his burial place. I've just spent a couple of hours looking at possible places that could help but I've not found anything helpful..I'll get back to you when I've found more info,ie siblings

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Birstall & Batley are as one area now. (Miles from Halifax)

Quote from your post in link

"
Thanks John for that,I think I looked in that cemetery and he wasn't there.I will get back to you with the last address I have for him from the 1871 census.Thanks John for that,I think I looked in that cemetery and he wasn't there.I will get back to you with the last address I have for him from the 1871 census.He was born and baptized in Birstal,maybe worth trying there."

unquote

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=677081.msg5218383#msg5218383

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 03 March 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The Huddersfield Beaumont Street ran from Viaduct Street and joined Fitzwilliam Street at Leeds Road. Would have been Edgerton
The Almondbury one is in Dalton and runs parallel with School Street, from the bottom of Almondbury Bank to Osborne Street. I have found people form this area in Kirkheaton, Almondbury & Huddersfield St. Paul's.
Primrose Hill Chapel could be worth a look at but cannot remember if they had burials.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 03 March 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
 I know that he's not at Birstall,checked quite a while back.Somehow last night when looking for Huddersfield library,I ended up getting a reply from New York! They passed my query to Huddersfield who said they will get a person from the family history dept to contact me.I'll see what turns up.In the meantime I keep searching anything I think might help.