Author Topic: Thomas and Elizabeth AMOS, Mertyn Isllan, Whitford  (Read 6281 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Thomas and Elizabeth AMOS, Mertyn Isllan, Whitford
« on: Saturday 09 February 08 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is any use to anyone but I am just going through some pictures of war graves taken in Abernethy Old Churchyard, Inverness-shire.
I came across this one

In Loving Memory of
ELIZABETH AMOS
BELOVED WIFE OF
THOMAS AMOS
of MERTYN ISLLAN, WHITFORD
NORTH WALES
BORN 19th FEBRUARY 1845
DIED 29 MARCH 1930

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and Elizabeth AMOS, Mertyn Isllan, Whitford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin
I know an extremely long time has passed since you posted this message, but Elizabeth and Thomas are on the tree I am researching.
I wanted to thank you for finding the burial of Elizabeth Amos.

Elizabeth Amos (Roberts) was the second wife of Thomas Amos.
First wife Margaret Roberts had 10 children.
Margaret died April 1897 age 67yrs registered Holywell.
Thomas Amos remarried Mar Qtr 1898 Elizabeth Roberts registered Holywell.
Thomas Amos died 11.05.1907 Mertyn Isaf, Whitford, Flintshire.
Thomas Amos left a Will to his 7th child Louisa £319 11s 8d, stating he was a farmer of Mertyn Isa, Whitford, Flintshire.
His second wife Elizabeth was not mentioned in his will.
Elizabeth Amos in the 1911 Census was living with her daughter (from her lst marriage) Margaret and husband Patrick Cameron living at 177 Broom Lane, Levenshulme, Manchester.  Elizabeth described as mother-in-law.

I now have to work out why Elizabeth Amos was buried in Abernethy Old Churchyard, Invernesshire.........
marthaannie

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin
Thank you for sending me the eight links to Abernethy Old Churchyard, I am looking forward to researching them further.
Your prompt reply was greatly appreciated.
marthaannie

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Martin
Thank you for the photographs of the gravestone of Elizabeth Amos in Abernethy Old Churchyard.  Also for the photographs of the Church and surrounding area.
A great addition to my family tree :)
marthaannie

Offline Charles Ellson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 June 14 06:36 BST (UK) »
Your mystery might be solved if you look in the direction of Elizabeth's son-in-law Patrick/Peter CAMERON. He left the area and become a policeman in Manchester then married Elizabeth's daughter Margaret Anne in 1895. He returned to Abernethy c.1921 (presumably when he retired) with his wife; her widowed mother Elizabeth was already living with him and his family in 1911 so they probably all came at the same time.

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 June 14 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Charles Ellson
Thank you for your interest.
I had "assumed" that Patrick Cameron had retired from the Police to Scotland his place of birth, no actual proof.
When his mother-in-law died in 1930 Patrick would have been abt 65 years, Elizabeth abt 85years.
65yrs is well past the age of retirement for a Municipal Police Constable as stated in the 1911 Census at 177 Broom Lane, Levenshulme, Manchester.
Could I ask how you found that Patrick had moved to Abernethy c 1921, his age abt 56yrs?
I had been looking for the death of Elizabeth Amos for a long time, many thanks to Martin Briscoe for his original post and great photographs he emailed to me.
My original interest was with Thomas Amos, as my grandfather's younger brother married Thomas's granddaughter Edith Amos, her father John Amos 3rd child of Thomas Amos and his first wife Elizabeth Roberts.
marthaannie

Offline Charles Ellson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 June 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
From the Strathspey Herald 6 Apr 1956 (as recorded about 25 years ago) :-
" p1c4-late Peter CAMERON, Nethybridge... 91st year, died at daughters home in
South Queensferry, WLN... "Pat"... descendant of "Black bare-headed lads" who
came to Strathspey in 16th century as the dowry of Lochiel's daughter on her
marriage to Baron Stewart of Kincardine... [was] in Manchester City police...
returned in 1921"
While that could be regarded as an approximation, a more definite record of his address results from him being at Pine Cottage, Nethybridge on 26 Jun 1922 when he registered the death of his brother Andrew. The same address was given for him in the newspaper report of his daughter Wylfa's marriage in 1949 although that possibly carries the risk that by that time he might already have moved south; it wasn't uncommon for people to be described by their home in the local area without mentioning that they now lived somewhere else.
Re AMOS, I've also got one occurrence of the surname in the Strathspey Herald of 13 Apr 2000 :-
"p8c1-DEATHS-Geoffrey Charles AMOS, husband of Rosalind, father of Shirley,
Valerie, Brian, Rosy, stepfather of Elizabeth and Philip, gfather and
ggfather, in Horton Hosp on 6 Apr 2000; funeral at St Nicholas church, Eydon
on 15th April"
At first sight there is no obvious direct/indirect connection to Peter CAMERON so it could just be a coincidence. Rosalind's first husband, Bill DARCY, was described as "late of Rugby and Newtonmore" and "brother in law of Iris and Geoff".

Offline marthaannie

• RootsChat Senior
  • marthaannie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 June 14 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Charles Ellson
Thank you for the article from the Strathspey Herald and confirming Patrick's address at Pine Cottage at the marriage of his daughter Wylfa, which I am very pleased to receive.
I will research to hopefully find a newspaper report re the death of Elizabeth Amos, buried Abernethy Church Yard in 1930.
Also thank you for the information re Geoffrey Charles Amos, unfortunately he doesn't fit into my family tree.
marthaannie