Author Topic: Sharp's of Clackmannan  (Read 20355 times)

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sharp's of Clackmannan
« on: Monday 18 February 08 05:48 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

On previous postings you will have noted the excellent work carried out by "Diddymiller" and I greatly appreciate her kind assistance. In that work we saw how Alexander Cook married a Margaret Sharp and how his son James Cook, born 19th June, 1828 at Clackmannan married Catherine Erskine on the 7th September, 1857 at Dunfermline in Fife.

Because of the constant requests for information on the Sharp family, I thought that it may be of some help if I were to give you a little bit of detail on this family.

Alexander Cook's wife, Margaret Sharp was born on the 5th May, 1797 at Clackmannan. Her parents were Peter Sharp and Mary Adamson. Let me make it very clear that Peter Sharp was actually married twice. His first marriage was to Janet McMillan and the second, to Mary Adamson.

The children born to Peter Sharp and Janet McMillan were:

Alexander Sharp orn 12th September, 1769 at Clackmannan
Katherine Sharp born 10th July, 1771 at Westfield, Clackmannan.
Luke Sharp born 1st June, 1778 at Clackmannan
William Sharp born 7th August, 1780 at Westfield, Clackmannan.
Cornelius Sharp born 15th January, 1783 at Westfield, Clackmannan
Janet Sharp born 15th January, 1785 at Clackmannan.

Once again, I urge researchers to do a more intensive search than I have done. I merely have placed these individuals into the correct time frame and location, but may not have included all the children.

Now, let me move on to the second marriage which was the marriage of Peter Sharp to Mary Adamson round about 1789.
Their children:

Alexander Sharp christened 1st August, 1790 at Clackmannan.
Mary Sharp christened 19th November, 1792 at Clackmannan.
Agnes Sharp christened 26th May, 1794 at Clackmannan.
Margaret Sharp christened 5th May, 1797. She went on to marry Alexander Cook on 3rd October, 1819.
Joseph Sharp christened 27th April, 1799 at Clackmannan.
Colin Sharp christened 25th August, 1803 at Clackmannan.
Peter Sharp born 6th December, 1805 at Westfield, Clackmannan.

On my next posting, I will take a look at Peter Sharp's parents.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sharp's of Clackmannan (2)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 February 08 06:08 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

To continue on our journey back in time with the Sharp family we will look at the parents of Peter Sharp. They were William Sharp born on 20th September, 1719 at Clackmannan and Jean Cowan born about 1720 at Clackmannan. The couple married on 29th June, 1739 at Clackmannan.

Again, I would urge researchers to do a far more extensive search than I have done. The information here is merely to give you a starting point in your search, and it's possible that I may have missed a few children!

William Sharp
born 22n August, 1741 at Clackmannan
Peter Sharp born 4th June, 1745 at Clackmannan. As we saw on the previous posting, he went on to marry Janet McMillan and Mary Adamson.
John Sharp born 5th June, 1747 at Clackmannan
Thomas Sharp born 18th November, 1748 at Clackmannan
Alexander Sharp born 3rd April, 1751 at Clackmannan
Helen Sharp born 23rd April, 1753 at Clackmannan
Jean Sharp born 17th February, 1756 at Clackmannan
Hugh Sharp born 19th November, 1759 at Clackmannan.

Now we are beginning to see quite a few names creeping into the Family History and people coming on to RootsChat will possibly be able to see connections to various individuals on their own Family Tree's. Many of those blank areas of their Tree can now be filled in as much of the basic work has been carried out. What is necessary is to check each entry and if an individual has been missed, simply insert it into your records and let us know.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sharp's of Clackmannan (3)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 February 08 06:47 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my last posting, Sharp's of Clackmannan (2), I dealt with William Sharp, born 20th September, 1719 at Clackmannan, who married Jean Cowan at Clackmannan on 29th June, 1739.
Now we will take a look at William's parents who were Patrick Sharp, who was born on 23rd August, 1679 at Clackmannan and his wife, Agnes (Anne) Love. They had the following children:

Janet Sharp christened 28th July, 1706 at Clackmannan.
Marion Sharp christened 18th April, 1708 at Clackmannan.
Bessie Sharp christened 5th March, 1710 at Clackmannan.
John Sharp christened 23rd March, 1712 at Clackmannan.
Agnes Sharp christened 9th March, 1714 at Clackmannan.
Elspeth Sharp christened 20th January, 1717 at Clackmannan.
William Sharp born 20th September, 1719 at Clackmannan. He went on to marry Jean Cowan on 29th June, 1739.
James Sharp born about 1721 at Clackmannan.
James Sharp christened 11th March, 1722 at Clackmannan.
Patrick Sharp christened 9th August, 1724 at Clackmannan.
James Sharp born about 1732 at Clackmannan.

On our next posting, we will go further back in time and take a look at Patrick's parents, who were John Sharp and Marion Hunter.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sharps of Clackmannan (4)
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 February 08 07:22 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

In my last posting I made mention of Patrick Sharp, born 23rd August, 1679 at Clackmannan, who married Agnes (Anne) Love. Now we will push further back in time and look at Patrick's parents, who were John Sharp and Marion Hunter.

John Sharp was born on 3rd December, 1642 at Clackmannan and married Marion Hunter some time around 1664 at Clackmannan.

Their children:

John Sharp christened 21st August, 1664 at Clackmannan.
Janet Sharp born 25th November, 1669 at Clackmannan.
Helen Sharp born 30th March, 1673 at Clackmannan.
John Jnr. Sharp born 21st August, 1675 at Clackmannan.
Marion Sharp born 10th March, 1677 at Clackmannan.
Andrew Sharp born 29th July, 1679 at Clackmannan.
Christian Sharp born 17th October, 1680 at Clackmannan.
Patrick Sharp born 7th July, 1683 at Clackmannan.
Margaret Sharp born 13th February, 1686 at Clackmannan.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]Bessie Sharp [/color] born 13th Februry, 1686 at Clackmannan.

Once again, I would urge researchers to go onto such sources as the IGI and check the above. Even though I may have missed a child off the list, the basic data can be used as a starting point for a more intensive search and save an enormous amount of time.

If there are researchers out there who are descended from the above individuals, and know who married whom and where and when, Please post your details of Births, Deaths and Marriages so that we can all benefit.

Kind regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp's of Clackmannan
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 02:55 GMT (UK) »

Hello All,

I have given quite a bit of information about the Sharp's of Clackmannan and invited descendants of those families to come forward with any further information that they may care to share with other researchers on RootsChat. With that in mind, I thought that I would extend the same invitation to those descendants of the Fife branch of the Andrew Sharp and Margaret Ramsay family.

Andrew Sharp was born about 1734 in Kettle, Fife married Margaret Ramsay on 20th November, 1759 at Kettle.

Their children:

James Sharp born 26th April, 1760 at Kettle, Fife.
Jane (or Jannet) Sharp born 22nd January, 1762 at Kettle, Fife.
Margaret Sharp born 22nd August, 1764 at Kettle, Fife. She went on to marry John Philp on 3rd October, 1787 at Aberdour, Fife.
David Sharp born 16th January, 1766 at Kettle, Fife.
John Sharp born 17th July, 1767 at Kettle, Fife.
Ann Sharp born 10th July, 1769 at Kettle, Fife
Catherine Sharp born 29th March, 1771 at Dysart, near Kirkcaldy, Fife
Andrew Sharp christened 19th April, 1772 at Dysart, near Kirkcaldy, Fife

The name to look out for on the above list is Margaret Sharp, born 22nd August, 1764 at Kettle in Fife, because she will be the subject of my next posting.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline tommacgregor

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 03:16 GMT (UK) »

Hello again,

I will continue with the Fife branch of the Sharps by stating that Margaret Sharp married John Philp on the 3rd October, 1787 in that nice spot on the shores of the Firth of Forth, Aberdour, where my parents used to take me for a holiday when I was a wee lad.

Their children:

John Philp born 18th August, 1788 at Aberdour
Andrew Philp born 7th August, 1790 at Aberdour. He went on to marry Isobel Hoy on the 27th July, 1814 at Ballingry.
Robert Philp born 20th August, 1792 at Aberdour.

Now, I've often wondered why I could only come up with three children on the list, (I'm a very inquisitive character, I suppose!). However, I happened to read a posting made by JAP, and, as I understand it, John Philp married for a second time. This time to a Catherine Johnston of Aberdour. At the time of posting, I haven't checked this out, but maybe some kind soul out there would do me the honours!

The name on the above list tht I want to draw your attention to is Andrew Philp. As I said, he was born on 7th August, 1790 and went on to marry Isobel Hoy on the 27th July, 1814 at Ballingry in Fife.

Their children:

John Philp born 7th June, 1815 at Aberdour, Fife.
David Philp born c.1823 at Inverkeithing.
Andrew Philp born 29th January, 1824 at Inverkeithing.
Robert Philp born 22nd April, 1829 at Inverkeithing.
Magdalene Philp born 27th November, 1831 at Inverkeithing.

I would be extremely interested to know whether or not "Beans" and/or "DiddyMiller" have any connections to these individuals.

Kind Regards,

Tom.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,

I am descended from Andrew Sharp and Margaret Ramsey and would like to follow up on your post about them.

Firsly I would like to correct you on a few points going by the Extracted IGI records. I hope you don't mind if I copy your presentation techniques!

Andrew Sharp and Margaret Ramsey were married 13 February 1759 in Dysart, Fife.

All of their children were born in Dysart, the correct dates being:

James Sharp born 26th, christened 27th April, 1760 at Dysart, Fife
Jane/Jean/Jannet Sharp born 27nd, christened 31st January, 1762 at Dysart, Fife
Margaret Sharp born 16th, christened 22nd April, 1764 at Dysart, Fife
David Sharp born 16th, christened 19th January, 1766 at Dysart, Fife
John Sharp born 16th, christened 17th August, 1767 at Dysart, Fife
Anne Sharp born 10th, christened 16th July, 1769 at Dysart, Fife
Catherine Sharp born 29th, christened 31st March, 1771 at Dysart, Fife
Andrew Sharp born 11th, christened 19th April, 1772 at Dysart, Fife
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Jean/Jane/Janet Sharp went on to marry George Wright, son of Robert Wright and Anna Kilgour in Abt 1783.

Their children which I can find are:
Ann Wright christened 5th October, 1784 at Dysart, Fife. died before 1793.
Catherine Wright born 21st, christened 28th January, 1787, buried 5th August, 1849 at Dysart, Fife. buried 5 Aug 1849 Dysart, Fife.
John Wright born Abt 1792 at Dysart, Fife. died St. Clairtown, Dysart, Fife. buried 19 Jan 1793.
Charles Wright christened 17th December, 1793 at Dysart, Fife. died Dunnikier, Dysart, Fife. buried 17 Nov 1810.
David Wright christened 3rd August, 1796, died 11th September 1864 at Dysart, Fife. died 11 Sep 1864 Dysart, Fife.
Jane Wright christened 21st September 1803 at Dysart, Fife. died Dunnikier, Dysart. buried 14 Aug 1839.
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 March 08 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Wright married Alexander Spence 20th Dember 1806 at Dysart, Fife (no issue found)

David Wright married Christian Cunningham 8th November 1818 at Dysart, Fife (6 issue found)

Jean Wright married Alexander Gibb 20th August 1836 at Dysart, Fife (no issue found)