Author Topic: Cause of death explanation?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cause of death explanation?
« on: Sunday 09 January 05 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know of a website where you can go to get medical interpretations on causes of death. 

I have a death cert for a 28 year old who died of
'phlegmania ....... thrombosis' and I would really like to know what it is in English.  I can't quite read the second word but it looks like dolmo (or am I thinking of italian sauces). 

Any help much appreciated

kerryb   ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death explanation?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Looking in my dictionary, I found "phlegmasia alba dolens" which is why you have this idea of Italian sauce. 
Phlegmasia means inflammation and from the following site:
http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/white+leg

I see that it means this

Definition:   [n]  painful thrombosis of the femoral vein in the leg following childbirth

So it was complications after the birth of a child.

Nell

PS I have just seen the following post in which Berlin Bob posted a very good link (good because it confirms what I've just said ;D)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=28325
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of death explanation?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 January 05 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Little Nell

Thanks for that, very useful information.  I now need to go back and investigate because as far as I knew the only child she had was my gr grandfather in 1880.  Perhaps there was another baby born that died, guess what I will be doing today. 

thanks

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....