Author Topic: Home Children in Canada 1907 please ??  (Read 3629 times)

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Home Children in Canada 1907 please ??
« on: Wednesday 05 March 08 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I wrote to Barnados about sisters sent to Canada in 1900 they told me their addresses in 1907
Can anybody kindly look them up
Daisy Muller born 1890 arrived Canada 1900
Rose Muller born 1888 arived Canada same ship 1900
Daisy at 551 Lansdowne Avenue Montreal Quebec
Rose at 542 Lansdowne Avenue Montreal Quebec
would love to know any details about them, like what sort of dwellings these were and how close to each other also thanks very much
Guttentag Keen Kemp Knight Miller Muller Rose Weinberg Weisberg

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Home Children in Canada 1907 please ??
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 08 15:03 GMT (UK) »
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html
 - in 1906/1907 and in 1907/8 directories, at 542 Lansdowne Ave is listed 'H. R. Hutchinson of J. H. Hutchison'. (J. H. Hutchison is probably the name of a familyshop/company). At 551 is Wm Campbell, W. R. Campbell, and H. M. Campbell.

Looking at google map this seems to be a residential area, which is borne out by the directory - at 305 there is the Westmount Methodist Church. Both the addresses are near the intersection of Lansdowne with Chemin Côte St-Antoine.

In 1910/11 Wm Campbell is still at 551, 542 is occupied by J. MacEwen.

In the census I believe this area is listed as "Westmount".  In 1911 551 Lansdowne is at:
1911 / Quebec / Hochelaga / 50 Westmount / page 15

At 551 is a family headed by Frederick Gordan Payne, accountant, aged 60. + two sons. There is a housekeeper in residence.  Judging by his and the neighbours' occupations, the families in this area were reasonably well off. Not all, but several have domestic live-in help.

542 is at:
Home / 1911 / Quebec / Hochelaga / 50 Westmount / page 21 split view
Living there is John MacEwen, his wife and children. He is a manager (place of work: fine m????), and his nearest neighbours are an architect and 'assist. to vice president (railroad)'. Again, several live in domestics in the area.

Presumably whoever was organising work for the home children was kind enough to try and place them together.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 March 08 16:10 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much at least it looks like they had some sort of contact with each other then

Offline jeanmary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 16:02 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage recorded at the West End Methodist Church, Montreal that might apply:

Daniel Bremmer [sic], bachelor, Montreal, son of John Bremmer[sic] & Georgianne Bremmer and Rose Muller of Montreal daughter of Adam Muller and Elizabeth Muller married 22 November 1909. Witnesses: Edith L. Radley and John Bremner. Minister was A.A. Radley.

The 1911 census shows this couple under the surname Bremner at 168 1/2 St. Martin, Montreal (see 1911 census St. Antoine, Subdistrict 6) at automatedgenealogy.com. Rose is shown as born May 1888, born England, emigrated 1900.

No luck with a Daisy Muller marriage record in Montreal.  Oddly there is a Daisy Muller in the 1901 census born 2 Mar 1890 England, emigrated 1900, domestic,  living with Thomas Hutchinson, Durham (East) Cava, p2. Now as coincidence would have it, there is an H.R. Hutchison at 542 Lansdowne in Montreal.

All the best

JM

Offline jeanmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

Went to the Home Children page and found this...no doubt you have it.

See collectionscanada.ca

Name: MULLERGiven Name: DaisyAge: 10Sex: FShip: TunisianYear of Arrival: 1900Departure Port: LiverpoolDeparture Date: 19 July 1900Arrival Port: QuebecArrival Date: 28 July 1900Party: Dr Barnardo'sDestination: Peterborough, OntarioComments: Party of girlsSource: Library and Archives CanadaReference: RG76 C 1 aMicrofilm: T-479Type of Record: Passenger Lists

Name: MULLERGiven Name: RoseAge: 12Sex: FShip: TunisianYear of Arrival: 1900Departure Port: LiverpoolDeparture Date: 19 July 1900Arrival Port: QuebecArrival Date: 28 July 1900Party: Dr Barnardo'sDestination: Peterborough, OntarioComments: Party of girlsSource: Library and Archives CanadaReference: RG76 C 1 aMicrofilm: T-479Type of Record: Passenger Lists

JM

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 17:16 GMT (UK) »
JM I coud kiss you thats her its the right parents names
oh whooppeee any ideas on how to get a canadian marriage cert ??????????????????????

Offline jeanmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 March 08 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Quebec marriage certificates: As a non-resident of Quebec, you can't use the online order form. I think you have to write to them and state your case.

http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/certificate-copy-act.html#complete

Meanwhile, here is the register entry - I hope you can read it.

If that doesn't help, email the good people at Quebec Family History Society, they'll help you for a fee, but they have a lot of information and can probably get you things like the marriage contract, wills, etc. They're at www.qfhs.ca

And glad to help. I just started using this forum and people have been really helpful so its nice to be able to return the favour.

JM

Offline jeanmary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 08 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh, I wasn't expecting THAT to happen. You'll have to stand back to read that! LOL

Myrna

Offline eeyores4me

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 March 08 16:28 GMT (UK) »
its okay I took my glasses off LOL
thanks so much you have been a great help if you need any uk stuff let me know