Author Topic: Death & Burial Indexes Canonbie, Eskdalemuir, Ewes Parish  (Read 81523 times)

Offline HDMattinson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death & Burial Indexes Canonbie, Eskdalemuir, Ewes Parish
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 09 January 10 16:23 GMT (UK) »
BigOoms,
 First set of photos were taken Feb 2009, other 3 sets were October 2009. First set are of the stones along the wall on the right. the other sets start at the east end of the grave yard (Old graveyard) and I worked my way west a row at a time (Got a bit lost now and a then as the rows don't all continue the full width,  so some duplicates!). I still need to do the stones facing west and also those along the south boundary facing north.
the oldest stones I've seen are late 1600s not sure where earlier graves would be, I must find out. The Langholm Archive guys might know...

Fiona, I've had a look but haven't found David Richardson. Did find some Richardsons...

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/view?q=richardson&uname=Letsbikeit&psc=F&cuname=Letsbikeit#5393634744399063698

and http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/view?q=richardson&uname=Letsbikeit&psc=F&cuname=Letsbikeit#5168419669954821314
Mattinson Davies

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Saturday 09 January 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Howard :)

many thanks for trying to find David Richardson and for the links.

Fiona

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Saturday 09 January 10 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps the following information will be of interest to those researching Canonbie ancestors. Quoting James Logan Mack – The Border Line (Oliver & Boyd, 1926) p.110-111:

“Canonbie Churchyard, on the north or left bank of the Esk, is one of the largest parish burying grounds in Scotland, and is kept in such good order as to be an example to many others. A few years ago my worthy friend the present minister wisely made arrangements for gathering together the fallen gravestones. A large number then lay about in all directions, many of them of great age. They were collected and placed side by side against the western wall, where they now rest, one hundred and forty-nine in number, and others which lay prone were raised to the perpendicular in their original positions.

”These ancient gravestones, even at the present time, are looked upon by some as objects of mere commercial utility. Not so long ago, a horse and cart being observed in this graveyard at an early hour, inquiry was made of the man in charge as to his object in being there. A woman who accompanied him offered the explanation that the front door-step of her cottage having been worn down, to remedy the defect she had come to take away her grannie’s tombstone; which intention was duly carried into effect.

”The Parish Church is surrounded by a large wall, surrounded by flat cope-stones, some of which had been displaced by cattle in the adjacent field. It was found on examination that, smooth on the upper side, some bore inscriptions on their under faces. Possibly the entire coping of the wall which encircles the church and measures 200 yards or more in length, is composed of old gravestones.”

It would be quite interesting to investigate this further. There may be some important hidden inscriptions.

When my grandfather visited Canonbie Kirkyard in 1928, he found a stone in our family plot inscribed John Armstrong d. 1696. It is no longer there.

Howard, have you noticed any suspicious activity in the wee hours?

Mosside
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline littlewentz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Canonbie ?anyone know if Hairlawhill, Hearthill same as Harelaw Hill 1832 map
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 13 February 10 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for someone that can help me with historical town names in Canonbie between 1800 - 1811.  My family patriarch Thomas E. Little is noted by LDS records to have been born 1811 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, the son of David Little born about 1766 Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland and mother Jannet Elliot  born 11 Sep 1769 Topknow Head Scotland.  I was able to locate an obituary of Thomas E. Little's sibling sister Ann or Annie Little, obituary noted she was born April 19, 1799 in Hearthill, Caniba Parish, Dumfreshire, Scotland. Ann Little married William Simpson, March 14, 1819 and the family immigrated to America in 1831.

A fellow poster at the ancestry.com message board sent me the following information about locating where grandmother matriarch Janet Elliot was born in Topknow. He found a link to Link to www.nls.uk/maps/index.html

I have been looking at the maps I have access to. I have found Knowhead on an 1832 map within Canonbie parish. Todknowhead is referred to with 18th century dates in a transcription of the Canonbie church memorials so I suspect the Tod- may have disappeared by the early 1800s. Someone else may have more detail.

Select within County maps of Scotland 1580-1832, John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland 1832. Scroll down and select Dumfriesshire, Select SE corner of Map (This will enlarge it and provide facilities to Zoom and Pan), Zoom In a couple of times, Pan Right a couple of times - in Canonbie Parish. Zoom in a couple more times. Pan Right - along border between Canonbie (Scotland) and the county of Cumberland (England) - follow border - till tou come to Crookholm. Knowhead is just to the north. You will see Harelawhill very close as well. When you have been panning right you will have moved from the west of Canonbie town (the Kirk is marked) to the east of it.

From this information, would anyone know if the town names of Hairlawhill noted as the birth location of the David Little children in the LDS records and the birth location of Hearthill in the obituary of sibling sister Ann Little is the same town location of Harelaw Hill in as found on the map of John Thomson's Atlas of Scotland 1832 and also if these (3) variations of the this town name is now the present day location of Harelaw in Canonbie?  

Below is the pedigree for the family of David Little and Janet Elliot. I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is a cemtery in Harelaw Hill and if there are any birth and death records that might tell me who the parents of David Little born 1766 Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland  might be, and would anyone know if there might be any living Little still residing in Harelaw?

Thanks to anyone who might have some time for me.

Offline littlewentz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 13 February 10 22:01 GMT (UK) »
This is the Pedigree of David Little to my above post regarding determing is the location of Hairlawhill, Hearthill and Harelaw Hill is the present day location of Harelaw.

David Little
Birth: abt 1766
Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Death:
Dumfriesshire, Scotland

Marriage to Jannet Elliot
6 Mar 1791
Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland
Description: Marriage record David Little born about 1766, of Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland to Jannet Elliot, born abt 1770, of Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, LDS Records Film Number: 455455.

Jannet Elliot
Birth: 11 Sep 1769
Topknow Head Scotland
Death:
Scotland
Father David Elliot, mother Ann Armstrong

Six Children of David Little and Jannet Elliot:

Child #1: Mary Little 1791 – 1870, husband Thomas Armstrong, immigrated to Australia. 15 May 1839, Emigration Greenoch, Scotland. Description: Sailed on ship David Clarke as Assisted Immigrants along with 7 of their 8 children, Eliza, David, Simon, John, Andrew, Mary and Janet. Daughter Jane "Jeanie" Armstrong Dixon and family would not immigrate to Australia until 1853. 27 Oct 1839, Immigration Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Description: Arrived Port Phillip, ship David Clarke as Assisted Immigrants. Husband Thomas Armstong occupation yeoman farmer,Mary Little Armstrong, occupation house and/or dairy maid. http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/prdunn/b92.html#P91 from Dunn & Brigden family site. Death 1870 27 Jul Age: 78, Essendon, Melbourne, Victoria.

Child #2: John Little, Birth: 15 Nov 1793, Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland. Death: abt 1840
Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland. Marriage 1814 abt Age: 21 Marriage to Elizabeth Byers, Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland, Description: Marriage record John Little to Elizabeth Byers, father David Little, mother Jannet Elliot.

Child #3: "Ann" "Anna" "Annie E. Little, Birth: 16 Apr 1796
Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, Death: 8 Jun 1889
, Logan, Illinois, USA. 1796 17 Apr Age: 0 Christening, Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, Description: Christening Ann Little, father David Little, mother Ann Elliott, LDS Records. 1819 14 Mar Age: 22 Marriage to William Simpson, St Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland, England
Description: LDS Church, records marriage of William Simpson to an Anna Little. 1831 Age: 35 Immigration to Providence, Cranston, Rhode Island, USA, Description: Strathman & Jetmore Families, Owner: susanswolff, at ancestry.com notes "Anna and William moved from Carlisle, England to Providence, Rhode Island. Then they lived in Newport, Rhode Island and Newburyport, Mass. before settling in Logan County, Illinois."

Child #4: David Little Birth: 30 JAN 1801 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, Christening: 08 FEB 1801 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland

Child #5: 5. Helen Little Birth: 08 AUG 1803 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, Christening: 21 AUG 1803 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland

Child #6: Thomas Little Birth: 25 DEC 1811 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland, Christening: 26 JUL 1812 Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland. Death Feb 26, 1880, Glen Elder, Mitchell, Kansas.
Thomas E. Little married Ann Elliott in 1832. Ann Elliott of Carlisle, Cumberland County, was the daughter of George Elliott born about 1767 Bewcastle, Cumberland, England and Jane Armstrong born about 1771, St Andrews, Penrith, Cumberland, England. George Elliott and Jane Armstrong married December 26, 1792, St Andrews, Penrith, Cumberland, England and would reside in Brampton, Cumberland, England.  Ann Elliott was born July 17, 1812 and christened October 18, 1812 in Brampton, Cumberland, England. Ann's siser, Elizabeth Elliott, was christened January 10, 1808 in Brampton, Cumberland, England. Elizabeth Elliott would marry James Irwin, a cotton dyer, May 24, 1829 in Wetheral, Cumberland Co., England. 

Ann Elliot, Obituary 1896 Obituary "Little: Annie Elliott was born in Carlisle, England, July 17th, 1812. She married Thomas Little in the year 1832; to this union there were born seven children, four daughters and three sons. With her husband and family she came to America in 1837, and to Mitchell County, Kansas in 1870. Her husband preceded her in 1880. She died at the house of her son, five miles northwest of Glen Elder, December 26, 1896. Aged 83 years, 5 months and 9 days.

Thanks Again.

Little Wentz Family

Offline HDMattinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Sunday 14 February 10 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Mosside, I'll must have a closer look at these 'coping' stones. A wall fell down at the manse recently (frost damage) I couldn't see any evidence there of reused head stones.
The only activity at night might be me taking photos http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2112887379_65962b649d_b.jpg

Message to Littlewentz, Harelaw seems to be (along with a number of places) spelled in serveral ways, however I've not seen the Hearthill spelling before. The following appear on maps: Harelaw Hill, Harelaw Hole, Harelaw Garden, Harelaw Hagg.
Checkout the Geograph site for photographs http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=520552
Cheers,

Howard.
Mattinson Davies

Offline littlewentz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Howard thank you for the links. I was happy to see some photos of the area of Harelawhill, Hairlawhill, Harelaw Hill,  Harelaw Hag, Hearthill, Harelaw Hole, Harelaw Garden, Harelaw Hagg in the parish of Canonbie and it's many various spellings. If anyone has more photos of this area I would love to see them.

These are the Little in my Scottish family by birth date  & location  & -  death date & location. If anyone should have these Little in your tree or might come across where they are buried I would appreciate hearing from you.

My email addy is * Removed , please use personal message system[/blue]

Thanks again for the map & photos.

Little, Ada Alice    1848 - Hardamside,Canonbie, Dumfrieshire, Scotland
Little, Agnes    abt 1845 - Wetheral, Cumberland, England
Little, Andrew    12 Jan 1829 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   
Little, Andrew    abt 1877 - Langholm, Dumfries   -   
Little, Andrew    abt 1766 - Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   
Little, Barbara    22 Nov 1857 - Canonbie, Dumfrieshire, Scotland
Little, Charles    24 Aug 1833 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   
Little, Christopher    abt 1801 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, Christopher Duncan    11 Mar 1867 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   1915 - Musselburgh, Scotland   
Little, David    abt 1797 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   abt 1875 - Caulside, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   
Little, David    30 Jan 1801 - Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   abt 1871 - St Mary, Caldewgate, Cumberland, England   
Little, David    abt 1766 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   abt 1812 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland
Little, David Armstrong    19 Aug 1827 - Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   3 Jun 1877 - Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Little, David J.    1835 - Cumberland, England   1863 - , Worcester, Massachusetts, USA   
Little, Elizabeth    abt 1880 - Langholm, Dumfries, Scotland   -   
Little, Elizabeth    1840 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, George    1845 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, George    abt 1871 - Canonbie, Dumfrieshire   
Little, George    Sep 1837 - Cumberland, England   abt 1905 - Kansas   
Little, Helen    08 Aug 1803 - Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   -   
Little, Isaac Dalton    Sep 1848 - Carlisle, Cumberland, England   2 Jun 1875 - Hotham West, Victoria, Australia     
Little, Isabella    27 Dec 1834 - Langholm, Dumfries, Scotland   
Little, James    abt 1797 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   
Little, Jane    abt 1868 - Westerkirk, Dumfries   -   
Little, Jane    13 Mar 1859 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Jane    23 Apr 1825 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   
Little, Janet    25 Jun 1832 - Scotland   
Little, Janet    17 Nov 1869 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Janet    abt 1861 - Canonbie, Dumfriessh   -   
Little, Jannet    1829 - Hardamside, Canonbie and/or Langholm, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   
Little, Jennett    25 Jun 1832 - Canonbie Dumfries, Scotland
Little, John    1833 - Canonbie, Scotland   
Little, John    abt 1860 - Canonbie, Dumfrieshire   -   
Little, John    abt 1831 - Canonbie, Dumfriessh   -   
Little, John    abt 1867 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire   -   
Little, John    abt 1795 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, John    abt 1760 - Walton, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, John    abt 1835 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, John    15 Nov 1793 - Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   abt 1840 - Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   
Little, Joseph    abt 1806 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   
Little, Margaret    abt 1875 - Langholm, Dumfries   -   
Little, Margaret    abt 1856 - Canonbie, Dumfriessh   -   
Little, Margaret    04 Mar 1838 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Margaret Martha Maggie    30 Sep 1863 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Mary    27 Aug 1791 - Hairlawhill or Harelawhagg, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   27 Jul 1870 - Essendon, Melbourne, Victoria   
Little, Mary    abt 1837 - Wetheral, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, Mary    1835 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   3 Mar 1882 - Hawick, Roxburghshire, , Scotland   
Little, Mary A    abt 1871 - Langholm, Dumfries   
Little, Mary Elizabeth    abt 1879 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire   
Little, Nancy    abt 1843 - Wetheral, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, Robert    1842 - Hardamside,Canonbie, Dumfrieshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Sarah    abt 1840 - Wetheral, Cumberland, England   
Little, Thomas    abt 1803 - Hayton, Cumberland, England   
Little, Thomas    07 May 1832 - Hardamside, Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Thomas    9 Apr 1861 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   -   
Little, Thomas    25 Sep 1830 - Canonbie, Dumfriesshire, Scotland   22 Mar 1894 - Lancefield, Victoria, Australia   
Little, Thomas E.    abt 25 Dec 1811 - Hairlawhill, Canonbie, Dumfries, Scotland   26 Feb 1880 - Glen Elder, Mitchell County, Kansas   
Little, William    abt 1788 - Hayton, Cumberland, England, United Kingdom   -   
Little, William J.    1844 - Carlisle, Cumberland, England   -   
Little, William Thomas    1852 - Cumberland, England   1889 - Yarrawonga, Victoria, Australia

Offline HDMattinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hardemside could be Hardenside which is still standing but semi derelict. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1113440

Howard.
Mattinson Davies

Offline littlewentz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 18 February 10 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Howard,

Your photographs are almost as good as visiting the area.  I have looked at all of them. There are several that you have taken I would like to include on my family web site with the proper copyright and license back to you as stated on the geograph website. I will let you know which ones I use and the link to my website it will be displayed on.

Would you possibly know of the photos you have taken of the cottages in Harelaw any of the dates of their construction. In the 1851 census Scotland, the Dixon family was living in what was "Harelawhill Cottage" transcribed as Hanlawhill.

Christopher Dixon married Jane Jeanie Armstrong March 16, 1838 in Westerkirk. Jane Jeanie Armstrong was the daughter of Thomas Armstrong 1791  born Hairlawhagg, Dumfriesshire,  - death 1862 Essendon, , Victoria, Australia and my Mary Little 1791 born Harelawhill - death 1870 Essendon, , Victoria, Australia , the daughter of David Little Jannet Elliot.

Name: Christopher Dixon
Estimated birth year: abt 1813
Relationship: Head
Spouse's name: Jane
Where born: Eskdalemuir, Dumfries
Parish Number: 814
Civil parish: Canonbie
County: Dumfriesshire
Address: Hanlawhill Cottage
ED: 2
Page: 11 .
Household schedule number: 35
Line: 1
Roll: CSSCT1851_205
Household Members: Name Age
Christopher Dixon 38, born Eskdalemuir, Dumfries
Jane Dixon 35, born Canonbie, Dumfries
Charles Dixon 12, born Canonbie, Dumfries
Mary Dixon 10, born Westerkirk, Dumfries
Joan Dixon 8, born Westerkirk, Dumfries
Eliza Dixon 6, born Canonbie, Dumfries
Thomas Dixon 4, Canonbie, Dumfries
Simeon Dixon 2 Mo, Canonbie, Dumfries

Would you know the type of hardwood trees, pine and cedar that grow in the areas of Harelaw and River Liddel.

If these are too many annoying questions, you won't hurt my feelings.

Thanks again.

Little Wentz Family
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php