Author Topic: Change of Occupations  (Read 14068 times)

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Change of Occupations
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Jan.

I'm looking into this again, as if it were the 1st time. I had a fresh lok last night and have found a few things i ned to look at agian. i may have to open my wallet, i work just 10 minutes walk from the family records centre, i understand that you canot order certificates from there anymore.
There are lots of websites offering their services at varios prices, can you recommend somewhere to get a certificate online ??

Thanks iain

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iain

I've only ever ordered certificates from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

I've never had any problems. Last time I ordered it was £7.50, but if you enter references eg father's name they will check these and only charge you £3 if it isn't the right cert.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Order your certs here Iain

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You will have to register first time round,but it only takes a few minutes and all certs costs £7 from them.If you aren't 100% sure you have the right person,add a reference checking point such as fathers name or approx age or something and if the facts don't tie up they won't produce a cert but will refund you £3.

Hope that helps.

Carol

Snap Jan  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Iain

Who are the witnesses to the marriage,are there any clues in the address, is it near a census date?

Where are the couple(with kids?) in later censuses.Any clues as to what they named their kids,after grandparents maybe?

All various points we use to double check that we have found the right person.

Carol

Offline 243rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Carol.

thanks for yr reply.
In the 1871 and 1881 census she says she is born in Middlesex, 1891 census she states she was born in Shoreditch and in 1901 in Clerkenwell. She states her age as 18, 28, 38 and 51. On her marriage certificate she states that she is 'Full age'.
She was married in Bethnall Green in June 1870 to Henry BATES a Painter who was from south of the water.
They had their 1st child Louisa in April 1870 2 months before they were married. On the birth certificate they gave details as if they were married already. They were living in the Walworth area of London at the time which was where her husbands family were from.
The witnesses for the marriage were an Emma EDWARDS and a William KEYLE, on Ancestry.co.uk there are no exact matches for William KEYLE in the 1871 census and too many Emma EDWARDS.

in 1851 there is a Louisa Anderson registered in Islington
in 1852 a Laura Anderson registered in Stepney which could have been transcribed incorrectly.
in 1852 a Louisa Anderson registered in Holborn which is the on that i have.
in 1853 a Louisa Margaret Anderson registered in Bethnal Green

i found a Louisa M Anderson in the 1871 census born Hackney whose father was William. i kind of took this for the one above so have never obtained this certificate.

Anyway.
I would be interested to hear your views/advice.

Iain.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Iain

I'm confused  ::)

You say Louisa married Mr Bates in June 1870 in Bethnal Green,so why would you be looking to find a Louisa M Anderson on the 1871 census 9 mths later?

Her name would be Mrs Henry Bates surely?

Not that I can find them in 1871 with baby Louisa under that surname.

I agree that Keyle is not a usual sort of name,is it possible that you've misread it? And also agree that Emma Edwards is just a non starter to try and link up at this stage. Although I wonder if she is Louisa's sister or just her friend?

Will look again later....but in the meantime get that cert !!!

Yeah it's a pain in the a*** that they closed the FRC eh?

We'll all wasted time looking backwards at the wrong tree only to find a cert shows us the correct line to go down. ;)

Regards

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Iain

Try the name KEYTE !!!

In the same 1/4 that Louisa married in Bethnal Green ,a Jane KEYTE married too.............must be a link somehow although need to prove how,but must do some housework today or hubby will think I've been on the computer all day  ;)

Carol

Iain check out the 1871  census RG10/ 399; Folio: 59; Page: 20 it shows Jane Keyte now Pilkington with 4 year old son Robert(his or hers?) but also with mum.
You might be able to follow them back to prove that she was related to William Keyte.

I do hope he wasn't just used as a witnes to the Bates marriage cos he was their for his sisters wedding!

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Iain,
 If you write the occupations down in chronological order does it show in any way that your person is getting poorer and poorer by the type of occupation? Maybe health was declining or whatever? Or where he lived was changing in nature and work on offer changed?  

I have an ancestor who census by census can be seen to be declining in fortune until in 1881 he is, by stated occupation,  a scavenger.

Lucky you being 10 mins walk from the fhc.

charlotte

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 19 March 08 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Lucky you being 10 mins walk from the fhc.

charlotte

It closed last Saturday Charlotte  >:(

Carol