Author Topic: Bernard Kirwan Hanged 1943  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bernard Kirwan Hanged 1943
« on: Friday 21 March 08 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Bernard Kirwan was hang for murdering his brother Lawrence.It is said The Quare Fellow by Brendan Behan was based on the build up to the hanging of Bernard Kirwan.I do know he was hanged at Mountjoy prison Ireland by hangman Tom Pierrepoint on 2/6/1943.Can anyone tell me any info on these brothers,I would be really interested to find out their parentage

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
Re: Bernard Kirwan Hanged 1943
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 March 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hiya perusing and found this link which gives more info regarding the case!

You will need to scroll down quite a bit to find it but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/031m/

Su
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 March 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Su so very much I found that so interesting & I would never have found that by myself.The quote from the letter to Oliver that he wrote just two hours before he was hanged brought tears to my eyes-it would be so dreadful if he did not murdered his brother,which I must add many people believed he didn't,that his brother Lawrence moved to England & aloud his brother to hang-which is equally dreadful,what ever the true truth may be I think this shows the awful horror of family feuds-when anger gets out of control

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I agree, this feud cost at least one brother his life.

It does mention a previous incident as well.  Talk about whetting the appetite.

I only have freebmd/cen etc to look info up but I will keep popping in to see if their is any other updates.

I did notice that it mentions 'a small farmer from County Offaly' that might be worth posting on the Irish board somewhere with a link to this thread, there may be Rootschatters with a good Irish knowledge who can help you there.

Good Luck and I will keep in touch

Su

Mod: Also middle initial 'L'
Pat. side:Barker, Richards. Williams, Brewer, Chapman, Pascoe, Hill - St.Keverne, Redruth, Cornwall
Mat. side:Thomas, Richards, Viant  - Falmouth, Padstow,Redruth, Cornwall & Devon. Law - Cornwall, Wales and London

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to double post but there is another link:  Griffiths Valuation 1848-1864

http://www.rootschat.com/links/031o/

May be an ancestor and a farm name/may be nothing! :-\

Just collating 'stuff' ;D

Su

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:31 GMT (UK) »
This is a dreadful and fascinating story,  yet remains unresolved.  How sadly pathetic is the society that "legally" murders it's citizens.  Thank God that some very small progress has been made in the progress of mankind. I hope and pray,  that some day and in some way,  this case is brought to an honourable conclusion.  As an Irishman,  it brought a shiver to the spine and a tear to the eye.

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Once again Su Thank you for that advice-but I am a old fuddy duddy & have not yet worked out how to link a thread but I will try to sort it.And yes Cathaldus what a sad story his is .

Offline Suziesmith37

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'All In The Balance'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I think .... famous last words - you right click on the topic banner (1st post(dark blue)) and copy shortcut:  then all you need to do is paste it in the new search in Ireland?

Don't fire me if it's wrong still learning myself ;D

Su

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 08 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Ah right I will TRY to do that tomorrow,Cheers