Author Topic: Help Needed, please.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed, please.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I have started tracing some of them, I will be tracing the rest tomorrow.

Do you know how I would find out if he left a will?

My husband knows that Joseph's wife Mary was left a cottage in a will but he is not sure who it was that left it to her.

Kelly.  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast have indexes to death duty registers
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

Joseph died 22 Feb 1880.

Do you know if findmypast cover that date?

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes but can't see him there.

From National Archives:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0i7/
Wills proved from 12 January 1858 to the present day are held only by the Court of Probate. You can access them and buy copies at the Probate Search Room, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP (tel: 020 7947 7022). You can also order copies by post. The address for requests by post is York Probate Sub-Registry, First Floor, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York, YO1 7EA. The same applies to letters of administration, which are granted if no valid will was made or found.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 March 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes but can't see him there.

From National Archives:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0i7/
Wills proved from 12 January 1858 to the present day are held only by the Court of Probate. You can access them and buy copies at the Probate Search Room, First Avenue House, 42-49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP (tel: 020 7947 7022). You can also order copies by post. The address for requests by post is York Probate Sub-Registry, First Floor, Castle Chambers, Clifford Street, York, YO1 7EA. The same applies to letters of administration, which are granted if no valid will was made or found.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I think I will contact them to see if he did leave a will, My husband knows that someone left Mary a cottage. If it wasn't Joseph I can only think it must have been her brother.

Thank you for all of your help and advice, it is truly appreciated.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 March 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I wonder also if it's worth tracing the rest of his family, he seemed to move about a bit, maybe they did too, and maybe came to live nearby, not proof but worth a try.

Hope you can find a will, that's really all I can think might prove where he came from. Please do post anything you find out
Kind regards
Barbara  :)

Offline Kelly1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 March 08 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I have been looking at the Joseph Wheeler who was born in Silsoe and I've been tracing his brothers through the census.

Joseph had a brother called Charles wheeler (born 1840 Silsoe Beds), Charles is living in Ealing Middlesex on the 1871 census with his wife Emma.

I have found a possible marriage for Charles Wheeler and Emma Harris in Dec quarter of 1863 in Ampthill.

On the 1881 census Charles is living in Newington London and on the 1891 and 1901 census he is living in Lambeth London.

It looks like Joseph's other brothers stayed in Bedfordshire.