Author Topic: "... just an AgLab". JUST an AgLab ??  (Read 29561 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
What's the Difference?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 January 05 05:46 GMT (UK) »
I apologise if this topic has already been discussed but  I was unable to find it.

What is the difference, if any, between an Ag Labourer and a Farmer's Man.?   I have found an Ag Lab whose description I've read in a previous posting but have been unable to find anything about a Farmer's Man.

An explanation would be welcomed.    :) :)

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
Re: What's the Difference?
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 January 05 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Being from U.S. I would just like to know what an Ag Lab is?  Never heard that till here.     Oh, a little aside here too, from this site I picked up the word Relly meaning Relative and I recently used it at a site consentrating mainly on New England and no one there knew what Relly ment, so it is obviously a U.K. thing.  But I appreciate All the shorthand I can get.    Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 January 05 07:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Léagen,

there are some good descriptions of Ag Labs here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=29238.0 merged

but -- sorry, Juddee, I don't know the difference between Ag Lab and Farmer's man

I did find this through Google: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.higgins/forester/plough-t.htm

It's a forester's plough play,
Plough Plays are the type of Mummers' play found in the East Midlands region of the UK. They are distinguished from Mummers' plays both by the fact that they are performed on Plough Monday (the first Monday after Twelfth Night), and by the names of the characters in them.
and contains this verse spoken by the "Farmer's man"

In comes I the farmer's man
Don't you see my whip in hand
As I go forth to plough the land and turn it upside down
How straight I go from end to end
And never make a baulk or bend
And all my horses I attend
As they go marching round the end
Whoa, back Bob.

Me ??   A Horse ??   Nay !!
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline leagen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Researching Family from Ireland during potato fam
    • View Profile
Re: "... just an AgLab". JUST an AgLab ??
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 January 05 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, I guess I must be something of an Ag Lab myself.  I have been a pig-midwife and a goat-midwife MANY times.  Lived on a farm in Fla. and at the top had 99 pigs and 16 goats and 7 calves and 8 horses.  Never had cows but have helped one give birth w/a neighbor.  And I am female and  less than 5 feet tall and only 90 lbs.!  There always seemed to be 3 sows giving birth at once, my husband would handle helping one and I would help one and we both helped the third.  We had litters w/as many as 18 piglets.  Good feed does that and they were Range pigs, meaning they had over 3 acres land to roam on and ate roots etc..  Pigs should Never live only in pens.  I just love pigs and had to get out of the business due to feeling sorry they had to go to market, they were too smart and I felt bad for them.   Now I just have cats and dogs.  But I never have been good in a garden, I only buy plants to watch them die.  No green thumb here.  All my ancestors right to my mother were farmers so guess it is in my blood at least as far as the animals go.      Leagen
Jenkins-Salmon-Dwyer-Hill-Sargent/ Seargent-Young/ Jung-White-Kinney/ Kenny-Cook-Waterman-O'Neill-McDonald-Shufelt/ Shufeldt-Wilbur/ Wilber-Patterson--Covey-Tisdale-Wells-Dodge-Palmer.

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 January 05 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juddee,
This may be a bit confusing, but I am going to take a shot at this farm worker question.
There are three common terms for farm workers in the 19th century , "ag.lab.", "farm servant" and "farmer's man", as well as individual skilled jobs such as "cowman", "carter", etc. On census returns the generic term "ag. lab"tended to be used for all of them and this term seems to have been adopted by family historians.
Properly speaking, "ag.labs." were lower down on the totem pole, did unskilled jobs and moved around quite a bit and were usually unmarried. They were paid by the week or by the job. Whereas,
. permanent farm workers,  often called "farm servants" or more often, by their job title, "shepherd" or whatever.. These men, usually married, lived in a cottage on the farm or in a nearby hamlet, were skilled workers and were paid a quarterly or yearly wage. The terms "farm servant" and "farmer's man" were often used interchangeably, therefore sometimes a "farmer's man" may have been a shepherd, carter, or cowman.

Sometimes the term, "farmer's man" was used to describe a young man learning a skilled farm job such as that of shepherd or even general farm management (a sort of farm apprentice) or it could be applied to a boy or an old man doing odd jobs around the house and farmyard. The term could even be applied to someone with great responsibilities, for example a bailiff or steward.

I have seen the term in wills and guessing that farmers, even fairly big ones, did not employ valets or man servants, I did a little research to find out just what they meant by "my man".
I am afraid that there is no way of knowing what a particular "farmer's man" actually did for a living without knowing a lot more about him, his background, education and other jobs, etc. and the social hierarchy
on the farm where he worked.

Hope my explanation was not too confusing.

Cheers,
Carmela

P.S. Leagan, ag.lab.= agricultural labourer

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 January 05 10:50 GMT (UK) »
sounds as life was pretty hectic! Anyone who thinks that city life was busier than in the country obviously never lived on a farm!  What a lovely way of life to lead though! Although I have never personally made the acquaintance of one, I rather like pigs too. They seem  great characters. Much maligned beasts. I used to be nurse in a nursing home so I know that you get used to the smell!
Dont know if you are interested in English history but the book I mentioned gives a wonderful insight into rural England in 19th C and if you have time to read you should see if you can get a copy. I know you'd enjoy it.
I am now an illustrator and I dip into the book for inspiration as it has wonderful word pictures of the English countryside before the industrial revolution changed it for ever.
all the best
Annie
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 14 January 05 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Keith

I agree, I started just trying to get back as far as I could, but now I want to know more about my family members, what were their lives like etc.  I came to this decision because my favourite gran died when I was 25, and I thought I knew her pretty well, she lived locally and I spent a lot of my childhood with my grandparents.  My brother bought the house on my grandfather's death and in the attic we found a bundle of loveletters written from my gran to my grandad in the 30's.  I decided I did not know her at all.   :)  She sounded a fascinating girl as a youngster and led an interesting life and so different from the little old lady I knew.  How did she become that way?

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline slightlyfoxed

• RootsChat Senior
  • the Searcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:10 GMT (UK) »
its called the passing of time or
life! :~D
 you wait! You'll find out!!!
Pomeroy in London & Liverpool , Pomery near Launceston Cornwall, Shearer of Thurso, Moore in Colchester and Hornblow in Braintree Essex, Machin in Hackney & Stafford & Cook in Herts, Campbell, Sutherland, Mackay, Brotchie, Gunn in Thurso Caithness. Cadle in South Africa.

researching the Pomeroy Family of Collaton in Newton Ferrers and St Columb in Cornwall

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 14 January 05 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Tahnks anigran

I look forward to it!!!!!  ;D

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....