Author Topic: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help  (Read 45818 times)

Offline Mitchell-OBrien

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help
« on: Sunday 06 April 08 05:06 BST (UK) »
Hi this is John Prindle From the San Francisco USA Area…I was named after my grandfather John Mitchell from Cloone.  He was born June 29, 1888.  He died in `1961, the year before I was born.

He was the only son of William Mitchell born 1826.  I understand he raised cattle in Cloone.  He had at least four sisters who remained in the area.  I was wondering if you could direct me to someone in your area (or post any information that might be helpful) who might know more about his history.   John Mitchell married Rose O'Brien and came to America in 1926.

I have much of the history from the time the left Ireland...now am trying to trace back pre 1926

attached is a picture of their house...hope it come through.

Thank you

John

www.CaliforniaCoaching.net

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 April 08 10:39 BST (UK) »
 You could try looking in the 1901 census.for Leitrim.
          There are quite a number of Mitchell's there.
www.leitrim-roscommon.com   Lep

Offline Mitchell-OBrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:12 BST (UK) »
This is a great site...the people very friendly and helpful...here is additional information on John Mitchell...another family source says he was the youngest and only son with 6 sisters (Margaret 1880-1938, Briget 1979-1969, Catherine, Alice 1885-1984,Theresa, and Anne).  He sold the family farm in June of 1925 to a cousin, Micheal..son of Patrick Mitchell.....

John's paternal Grandparents were Owen Mitchell and H Kiernan who had six living children.  Patrick, William, John, Bridget ....two other daughters (perhaps one was named Anne from reply below) married Tom Brady and Tom Mckeon

John Mitchell's parents were William Mitchell and Margaret Rourke Mitchell (1847-1849)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 April 08 18:58 BST (UK) »
 So pleased you got the help.Yes they are very friendly and helpful Lep :)

Offline Carleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 01:28 BST (UK) »
John

An Ann Mitchell of Cloone was my great-great-grandmother. I wonder if she was one of William's sisters.

Carleen

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 June 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
This is a great site...the people very friendly and helpful...here is additional information on John Mitchell...another family source says he was the youngest and only son with 6 sisters (Margaret 1880-1938, Briget 1979-1969, Catherine, Alice 1885-1984,Theresa, and Anne).  He sold the family farm in June of 1925 to a cousin, Micheal..son of Patrick Mitchell.....

John's paternal Grandparents were Owen Mitchell and H Kiernan who had six living children.  Patrick, William, John, Bridget ....two other daughters (perhaps one was named Anne from reply below) married Tom Brady and Tom Mckeon

John Mitchell's parents were William Mitchell and Margaret Rourke Mitchell (1847-1849)

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 June 08 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Mitchell-OBrien,

I'm an Australian author doing some research on the Mitchell Family. My grandfather was Owen Mitchell born in Cloone 1860. He left for Australia in 1903-04 - I think.  His first wife died and he remarried Annie Mitchell (nee Ahern) and they had five children, one of which (Margaret) was my mother.  He revisited Cloone in 1912. Owen died in Herberton, Nth. Qld, Australia in 1922. I have some old letters from a Maggie and Bridget and various photos - no names.  I'm trying to find out the names of Owen's parents or other family members?  I have a date of birth for Owen's father as 1827 and DOD 1901 and his mother DOB 1830 and DOD 1909...........regards....Robert Bartlett

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 June 08 23:44 BST (UK) »
Checking 1901 census for Co. Leitrim (www.leitrim-roscommon.com) there's one possiility for Owen Mitchel, wife and children in Cloone:
Owen Mitchell (40) shopkeeper, Margaret Mitchell (40), Anna Maria Mitchell (17), Sarah Kate Mitchell (14), William Charles Mitchell (12), Ellen Mitchell (9), Margaret Luisa? Mitchell (7).

There is also an Anne Mitchell (widow) with Charles, Bridget and Rose.

Owen (born c1861) was born before civil registration of births in Ireland (1864) but this might be his parents and some siblings-
Owen Mitchell m. Anne Conlon:
1. Anne Mitchell born 27 Sept.1864 Mohill dist.
2. Charles Mitchell born 24 July 1866 Mohill dist.
3. Rose Mitchell born 12 Oct.1869 Mohill dist.
4. Catherine Mitchell born 8 Dec.1871 Co. Leitrim
5. Ellen Mitchell born 10 July 1874 Mohill dist.

If Owen Mitchell died in Australia are there any details on his death certificate like parents' names that might help?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 June 08 07:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey,
Yes, I saw that leitrim-roscommon.com and wondered about the entry. it would make him about the right age but I don't know about all the kids though. That  was good info about the civil registration of births.....I didn't know about that.
The mention of Anne Mitchell (widow) Charles, Briget and Rose is interesting, as my mother was Margaret Rose Mitchell born 1915 in Australia,  and she was called Rose.  The letters I have are very faint and poorly written but one is addresses Owen as dear brother. They are from a Bridgit and Maggie.

I don't have Owen's death cert.