Author Topic: The mystery that is my gt, gt grandmother...Wigan  (Read 7072 times)

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The mystery that is my gt, gt grandmother...Wigan
« on: Monday 07 April 08 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I am hoping that somebody out there can help me in the search for information regarding my gt, gt grandmother.  She has been an ongoing mystery now for the last 2 years ???

Her name was either Isabella or Elizabeth Clarke.  Sometimes spelt with an E, sometimes not.

The first definite knowledge of her is on the 1871 Lancashire census as the "wife" of John Atherton and mother of his children.  However, they are marked as "unmarried".  I have never been able to find a marriage certificate, so assume they never married.

Living at ?Rick Farm, Warrington Road, Ince in Makerfied, Wigan:-
John Atherton born 1842 Wigan....occupation Engine tender at colliery
Elizabeth Atherton born 1842 Winsworth, Lancs
Sarah Ellen  born 1867
Alice  born 1869
Alfred born 1870

Later births were:-
Richard Aaron (marked as Arthur on 1881census) born 1872
Walter born 1877

There may have been another two births, both of which are registered on the IGI but not confirmed:
Margaret A born 1874  died 1876
Mary born 1875  died 1880

On all the children's birth certificates she is marked as Elizabeth.  However, on her death certificate of 25th September 1878, she is marked as Isabella.  She died of meningitis at the age of 36 in Ince.

John Atherton is now marked as a widow on the 1881 census, living at 81 Warrington Road, Ince in Makerfield, Wigan.  He remains an Engine tender.

Although Elizabeth/Isabella's birth place is marked on the 1871 census as Winsworth, we are not aware that such a place existed.  Therefore, could this be Ainsworth?

The only Birth record that seemed to fit, was an Isabella Clarke born on the 28th February 1843 at 8pm Stuart Street in Wigan.  Father sited as William Clarke, weaver.  Mother Elizabeth Clarke nee Megraw.  However, is Ainsworth in Wigan?  Or is it Ainsworth at all?

Now I have searched for the parents of this Isabella Clarke both in 1841 and further forward, but not an absolute thing could I find!!!  Plus I cannot find Elizabeth/Isabella post her birth to her record on the 1871 census.

I am absolutely stumped by this lady.  It's almost like she appeared from out of thin air!!  I also have no idea why they would not of married!  Obviously a marriage certificate would throw so much more light on her parentage and background.  Maybe she was already married.  Maybe it was something to do with religion.  Who knows!!!

My family has been submitted by a person unknown, on the IGI.  However, they have Elizabeth's name as Elizabeth Hanlin.  That is definitely very wrong, as the all the children's birth certificates say Clarke, and Elizabeth Hanlin married somebody else!  I have double checked that through the BMD site.  However, could still be the same person.  Just no records to prove so!

So, if any kind soul can help me out here, I would be so gratefully.  It has driven me mad now for 2 years and I do so hate loose ends!!!

Many thanks
Kim
 :)

Atherton and Dawson of Wigan Lancs and Llandrindod Wells, Wales.
Wilkins of Monmouthshire, Wales.
Mewton, Prideaux and Mitchell of Cornwall.

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
Re: The mystery that is my gt, gt grandmother...Wigan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
You can't rely on the IGI - particularly submitted information from an anonymous person.   

Who registered the births of her children?  This will give you a good clue to her name, as after death it is someone else who gives the information.  Although she could of course have been Elizabeth/Isabella.

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:39 BST (UK) »
Ainsworth is Bolton, about fourteen miles from Wigan.
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 April 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I know, unknown submitters on the IGI can be very frustrating.  It is obviously a link to the family somewhere, but just where and who!

Some of the children were registered by her, some by their father.  Sometimes it was Elizabeth, sometimes Isabella.  However, always "formally Clarke".

Many thanks
Kim

Offline CatOne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 April 08 19:04 BST (UK) »
Could this be the Isabella you haven't been able to find with parents William and Elizabeth, enumerated "Isabela Clarken" -

HO107/2199 Folio 221 Page 23
Vauxhall Road, Wigan, Lancs
William Clarken 31 mar Handloom Weaver Ireland
Isabela 8 Wigan
William 2 Wigan

and in 1861 theres an Isabella Clarke lodger 20 Thr....spinner Cotton .... Wigan in the house of Jabes and Mary Thorpe

18 Bridge Street, Wigan
RG9/2776 Folio 14 Page 21

William, the father, is at 76 Queen Street, Wigan, with son William, wife Mary (new wife?) and further children RG9/2775 Folio 89 Page 19 (transcribed "Clash")
Dunning/Downing, Osborn/e, Astley -Cheshire/Birmingham/Middlesex
Fanthorpe/Hall/Driffill/Storm - Lincolnshire
Bower/Woodward/Bingham/Pettinger/Shaw - Nottinghamshire
Shaw, Marland - Lancashire
Broph(e)y - Queens County, Ireland
Richards - Neath Swansea
Hunt/Fox - Lincs, Waterfield/Middleton - Staffs
Hart/Harland/Askew/Scales - Yorkshire
Brereton/Vickers - Cheshire
Gleaves/Sandford/Hulse/Hulme - Wolstanton/Audley Staffs
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 April 08 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi CatOne

I've taken a look and agree that this could be my Isabella Clark.  However noticed there is no Elizabeth (mother), with William "Clarken", despite him being marked as married and not widow. 

I always had an inkling her parents came from Ireland as felt the maiden name of "Megraw" sounded Irish.

I'm still stumped about the lack of marriage, however, could always explore the link of her brother William and see if I can obtain his birth certificate to ascertain if this is in deed the same family.

Further on, it is always diffcult when they lodge.  I have no idea what she did before meeting John Atherton.  As for William and his ?second wife.  Again very plausible.

Many thanks for looking for me.  I feel there is possibly some light at the end of the tunnel.

Kim

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 April 08 23:18 BST (UK) »
The first definite knowledge of her is on the 1871 Lancashire census as the "wife" of John Atherton and mother of his children.  However, they are marked as "unmarried".  I have never been able to find a marriage certificate, so assume they never married.

Hi,

Looking at the 1871 census, I would say that it does show Mar in the column rather than unmar, I know this doesn't prove that they were married, but it does show that they were living as if a married couple :o

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
[quote author=CatOne link=topic=297336.msg1796881#msg1796881 date=1207591463

William, the father, is at 76 Queen Street, Wigan, with son William, wife Mary (new wife?) and further children RG9/2775 Folio 89 Page 19 (transcribed "Clash")

I have looked at this family, but still am not sure they are the right ones.  The wife is found later in 1871 census, but states she is the wife of a Barber.  Her William is nowhere to be seen.  It doesn't say whether she was a widow or not.  So I may still need to keep an open mind on this one. 

However, many, many thanks for looking for me.

Kim

Offline kimkitty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 April 08 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath

I asked somebody, on another web-site, to look for the marriage for me.  When she replied, she was quite indignant, as she said the census return showed them as "unmarried"!!!  I am not sure whether she actually looked.

A friend offered me to look at the on-line census today, and I agree with you, it definitely looks like Mar.  However, I can still find no marriage on the BMD or Lancashire BMD.

I don't know if this is of any help, but John remarried some years after Elizabeth/Isabella died.  In 1891 he married his housekeeper, Martha Turner at Hope Chapel, Wigan.  His condition at time of this marriage was "Widow".  Therefore, I do struggle with why he married one and not the mother of his children?  Morally, whether he married or not does not bother me.  It just the certificate would give the detail I'm lacking.

I am a bit stumped as where to go next.   ???

Best wishes
Kim