Author Topic: Hastie family connections.  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hastie family connections.
« on: Friday 11 April 08 12:12 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if anybody could help me research back further with my Hastie connection, in Fife.

I have Thomas Hastie b c 1705 in/around Fife. He married Janet Lawson, and they had at least one child I know of, Archibald, born in 1730. Can anybody help me trace any other children, or take this line further back?

If it helps, Archibald went on to marry Isobel Muir. I dont have their marriage date but it was around 1756.

Matt :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hastie family connections.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
hi :)
all i could find on your hasties was the death of isobel hastie nee muir. only janet hastie i can find is a janet henderson.
JACCI :)

ISABEL HASTIE
MS   MUIR
ABODE  KIRKCALDY
DATE OF DEATH   25/4/1780
DATE OF BURIAL  27/4/1780
WIFE OF ARCHIBALD HASTIE ( TAILOR )
OPR 442-3

LISTED ON THE MI'S
AS ISBELL MUER (HASTIE)
LAIR   CH2-636-28&30

JANET HASTIE
MS  HENDERSON
ABODE KIRKCALDY
DATE OF DEATH  27/2/1764
DATE OF BURIAL 28/2/1764
WIFE OF THOMAS HASTIE (TAYLOR)
OPR 442-3
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacci :)

Thankyou for looking these guys up for me. You are a star.

This is such a great site dont you agree?
Thanks again :)

Matt.

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 18:08 BST (UK) »
hi matt  :)
your right great site, only been on it for a few days but enjoying it immensely.
jacci :)
jack, mitchell,lowrie murray, donaldson, forgie, anderson, corbett, spence thomson kerr plouman/plowman,  fife, midlothian, lanarkshire, moray, wick.

Offline jac2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
hi matt  :)
heres a puzzler for you two thomas hasties marrying two janet lawsons both having at least one registered child. one child b1730 the other b1793. within a distance of about 5/6 miles. wonder if they are related
jacci :)

30/08/1730 HASTIE ARCHBALD THOMAS HASTIE/JANET LAWSON M Dysart /FIFE 426/ 0030 0245

15/09/1793 HASTIE JAMES THOMAS HASTIE/JANET LAWSON M Markinch /FIFE 447/ 0020 0048

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
Lol Jacci they may be related, who knows!!

The couple married 1730 are my ancestors. They had Archibald the same year, and he of course went on to marry Isobel Muir.

PS I recommend to go into the char romm. It is so friendly in there, I'm going in now and it is so much quicker if you need a lookup. If you need any lookups I am happy to help. I have access to bmd's in England and Wales, and UK census 1841-1901.

Cheers for the additonal information!!

Regards,
Matt

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 16 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Jacci,

I'm just picking this up again after re-evaluating my Hastie and Muir research. I noticed that on one of your replies you quoted a reference to ISBELL MUER and her MI. I am hoping you still have these as I realised I never asked which burial ground that MI relates to. Is there any chance you could have a quick look for me please?

Sorry to be a pain. I'm pleasantly surprised to rediscover this thread and furthermore, excited that a headstone may still stand for Isabel.

Regards,

Matt.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 January 16 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello. I have researched ancestors called Anderson who were coal-miners in the Wemyss area in the early 1700s, and I can tell you that an Archibald Hastie was "coal-grieve" at Cluny mine - a sort of foreman-cum-overseer, I suppose. I wrote an article about my researches for the Fife Family History Society journal. Here's an extract below. David Anderson and Mary Balmain were the parents of Murdo Anderson, and both David and Murdo were miners. David and Mary got so fed-up being harassed by the Wemyss kirk-session for their antenuptial fornication (Murdo was born a bit soon after their marriage in 1707) that they left their home in Methilhill and went, I think, to Dysart -

"I do not know for sure where David and Mary went, but by 1736 their son Murdo Anderson and his wife Catherine Martin were having a child, Archibald, baptised in the nearby parish of Auchterderran. One of the witnesses was Archibald Hastie, coal-grieve at Clunie. There is evidence that Murdo Anderson was a “coal-hewer” at Strathore, and in 1739 both he and Archibald Hastie were working for the Laird of Dunnikeir (from records of the Earl of Rothes’s colliers included in an article in the FFHS journal of Autumn 2006). I have not found a record of Murdo and Catherine’s marriage."

Harry