Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Ramsey Parish records - DAVID EDGLEY  (Read 6257 times)

Offline familytreesearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Ramsey Parish records - DAVID EDGLEY
« on: Sunday 13 April 08 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me with my family history research.  I am currently looking back on the EDGLEY side of my family.

I have become stuck trying to find birth records and the parents of David Edgley.  I have found indications that he was born in Ramsey, Huntingdonshire in 1812 (died Greenwich, 1886), and married Martha in 1854. Some records show 'Edgley' spelt as 'Edgeley'...

I live in South Australia so I am unable to go to see any records.  So a big thank you in advance for any help!

Edgley (East London); Cope (East London); Clark; Hodson (Lancs); Major (East London); Horsman(East London); Winter; Pollak (Austria); Munk (Austria)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records - DAVID EDGLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 08 09:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

Location and the inability to get to Huntingdon to view records are no bar to doing research. The LDS has filmed many parish registers which can be ordered from your nearest Family History Centre of the LDS - a full list of centres can be found at www.familysearch.org  Unfortunately Ramsey baptisms haven't been filmed although a transcription on fiche is available from Huntingdonshire Family History Society.

Hopefully someone reading this who has the transcript will be able to help.

There were a lot of Edgleys in Ramsey - the earliest burial there was in 1762. There were a number of Edgley marriages in Ramsey in the 15 years prior to 1812, any one of which could have been David's parents.

In the absence of anyone coming up with his baptism, you need to obtain his marriage certificate which will include his father's name - once you have that if will make it easier to trace his parents from the Hunts Marriage Index. David's marriage was registered in Greenwich registration district in the September quarter 1854, volume 1d page 817, David EDGELY - certificates can be ordered online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/#0

David in France who also can't get to Huntingdon!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline familytreesearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsey Parish records - DAVID EDGLEY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you :) David

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Hopefully someone does have the records for Ramsey that can make that link for me...  Or I'll follow your lead and turn to the Huntingdonshire Family History Society or the GRO...

At the moment where David was prior to the 1861 census is somewhat of a mystery to me  - this is what I love about this doing this, investigating and uncovering the story but I am stuck. I thought he may have been missed in the 1841 and 1851 census ???  Do you have any ideas that may point me in the right direction?

From what I have found so far I have guessed that William Edgley and Ann Meace are his parents but that is a stab in the dark.  Is it possible for you to send me the EDGLEY marriages that you have found in Ramsey in the 15 years prior to 1812?

As you can see I am new to this, so I'll take your guidance if I am asking for too much...

As a last note - its encouraging for me that you are able to do this remotely too! :)
Edgley (East London); Cope (East London); Clark; Hodson (Lancs); Major (East London); Horsman(East London); Winter; Pollak (Austria); Munk (Austria)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 April 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find him in 1841/51 either. I've often initially thought that some of my ancestors might have been missed off a census,  but other than one family which is definitely missing,  I've eventually found them all, or have found an explanation eg fighting in the Boer War in 1901. I wonder if he may have been a regular in the military, possibly the navy, as he lived in Greenwich from 1861 onwards. This is where his marriage certificate might prove useful as it should give his occupation.

I've struggled over his occupation in 1861 - I managed the "labourer" bit without any problem! - it's the rest that caused me strife. I think it's an abbreviation for Royal Arsenal "Rl arnl", which employed many people in that part of London.

Edgley marriages in Ramsey (males only)
1794 William & Ann Meace
1794 Thomas & Sarah Jolley
1802 James & Ann Whittlesey widow
1803 George & Alice Seekings widow

There are too many Edgley burials in Ramsey to make it possible to narrow down the field. Why do you think his parents were William and Ann? If it was, as you say, a guess then that's a surefire way to research someone else's ancestors!!!

I'm not sure if the lady who has the Ramsey transcript still follows this board, as her last message was in November 2006.

A couple of people on GenesReunited have David EDGLEY b 1812 in their trees, but I'm not a member so can't contact them. One of them might even be the lady with the Ramsey transcript, as her christian name's the same.

Hunts is not the easiest county to research as the LDS was not allowed to film many of the parish registers, and many of them haven't been transcribed either, so Huntingdon Records Office is the only place where the registers can be viewed. Fortunately for those of us who can't make it to Huntingdon they do run a reasonably priced research service.

Kind regards

David

Offline mooncrystal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have your David Edgley in my tree and his parents were Thomas Edgley c1766 and Sarah Jolley who were married in Ramsey.  He was baptised on 1 March 1812 at the same time as his twin sister Charlotte.  Worked as a Royal Marine for 22 years which is probably why he is not on the census.  Married Martha Wright from Woolwich, Kent who's parents were Charles and Martha, Ruth

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 April 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Ruth, you're a star!

I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you said your gg grandfather was an Edgley from Ramsey, so was confident you'd have details of David Edgley!

David

Offline familytreesearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 April 08 10:29 BST (UK) »
Fabulous!

Big big thank you to you both!