Author Topic: William Murray  (Read 4883 times)

Offline lizabeth2444

• I am very sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Murray
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 April 08 07:01 BST (UK) »
Thomas Murray b 1801, Muirkirk, Ayrshire, Scotland.  Christened St Andrews RC Chapel.

Married Christian McGregor (b 1799, Eastwood, Renfrewshire) on 20 Nov 1827 St Andrews, Glasgow

Children James, William, Thomas, Christina, Agnes, John, Charles and my ancestor Mary Ann.

Parents of Christian are Christian Finnie and William McGregor.

The only thing I have on Thomas Murray parent is that his father is recorded as Thomas Murray (gardener) on his death certificate but mother unknown.   I am interested to find his parents.

Liz

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 April 08 08:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  I am doing this for a descendent of William Murray (son of Thomas Murray and Christian McGregor) who married a Mary Ann White in 1851 at St Francis RC church in Melbourne.  I have no other details of the marriage.  However, the person for whom I am doing this has a family tree booklet of the Murray family in Australia. As I am sure you know some of the Murray family settled in Trafalgar, Victoria.

I take it Thomas Murray was born in Ireland (given the information in this string of messages). Have you seen or do you have a copy of the death certificate?  I take it he died in Victoria Australia?    I too would like to pursue the connection further.

marp

Offline Honeymoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
Would love to discuss this family further.

I am tracing Ellen/Helen McGregor bc 1838-9 in Renfrewshire, marries in Melbourne, Victoria in 1859.
Parents James McGregor and Ellen Devin according to her marriage cert.

I think I have found her on the 1841 and 1851 census living with her grandparents Charles and Margaret McGregor and her father, James.

I have a potential death certificate for Charles in 1860, that gives his parents as William McGregor and Christina Finnie. According to the census he would be born in Stirlingshire around 1788.

Really interested to see another link to Australia through the Murray family as I couldn't work out how Ellen got to Australia and whether she travelled with anyone else.

Would love to know if anyone has further details on this family.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 April 15 01:51 BST (UK) »
I am not sure that I can help you.   I only know the branch of the family of Christian McGregor who married Thomas Murray in 3 November 1827 in Mearns, Renfreshire.  They emigrated to Victoria, Australia.  The family settled in the Moe and Trafalgar regions of Victoria.   However, as you probably know many Scots emigrated in family groups or groups from the same community.  It is likely that several McGregors or Murrays emigrated either with them or around the same time.

However, I will pass your post on to my relative (a direct descendent of Christian McGregor and Thomas Murray) and see whether she has any ideas on the topic.

marp

Offline Honeymoon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 April 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Marp. I appreciate you passing this query on.

Fiona